Why are certifications valid forever?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer is in your title.

Because its a certification not a licence. You don't even need one to dive. Furthermore, I don't like or believe in the premise of overregulation (telling people what they can and can't do. and then charging them a fee for it) where would it end. We are ready have enough regulations on our scuba cylinders.

Id like to know what happened for you to think that way? Where you in a group with an unsafe or totally lost individual. I have seen this in group settings and is a major reason i dive alone or in very small groups of divers I know. Even if on vacation without my tanks or unable to just rent a tank, I will dive in groups with instructor but I also let them know I will dive away from the group and meet at the agreed end spot. Most places have been very accommodating.

Anyways, its all about your knowledge and abilities. If you have that covered other divers should not affect you, you might even be able to help someone out.

Marriage licenses don't require a renewal. They probably should. :)

In the Beginning... You bought your Scuba gear from an ordinary hardware or sporting goods store. It came with an instruction book that told you how to put it together and to "never hold your breath!" But they could never verify that you actually read the instructions. Certification came along as a way for stores to cover their liability. That card proved that at some time in the past you were given the basic instructions and had proved that you understood them. After that, you were on your own, and still are.

Driver licenses are issued by a government agency. And, renewal is mostly a way to collect a periodic tax. When did you last actually take a driving test to renew your driver license? In our state (WA) as long as you renew your license before your birthday, you never have to take a driving test. Just pay the tax.

I get amused by new divers and non-divers who refer to their C-card as a "diving license". Perhaps in Europe it is, but in the USA it's just proof that you took the class and passed a test. It's not a license.

Last edited:
Marriage licenses don't require a renewal. They probably should. :)

In California they do.

MarriageLicenseceremonygeneralinfo
Marriage licenses are valid for 90 days from the date of issuance.

You have to get married or renew the licence.

Bob
----------------------------------------
“I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.”
― Winston Churchill

Actually one certification that becomes invalid is if you are trained as a rescue diver. If you don't keep up your CPR and first aide through Red Cross, you are "technically" not a valid rescue diver any more (until you are up to date on those certifications).

All kinds of much more important certifications are left standing forever!

Did you get re-certified as knowledgeable enough to still be [even] a high school graduate?
So when was the 30 yrs war? How's your algebra these days?

I wonder if those 70-something yr-old senior partners can still pass the bar exam?

Ok, now that makes sense to me. I know in Hang Gliding your license can be suspend or revoked at any time, for unsafe acts, for violating certain rules. It MAY be because HG falls under FAR 103 (Federal Aviation Regulations), but the FAR basically says that the Govt isn't going to get involved in licensing / regulation in a major way with ultra-light aircraft, but will depend on the various groups to provide their own regulation and enforcement. Implied in that is the threat that if the various groups DON'T provide tight controls, then the Govt. could step in.

Since recreational (non-commercial) diving is basically unregulated as an activity (commercial diving I imagine falls under various health / safety regs) that makes sense.

Light starting to come on now... it's dim and flickery, but there is a light.

Steve

As others have pointed out, scuba diving is a recreational sport that has specialized equipment. There are no scuba police. You didn't explain why you felt there needed to be some sort of policing of scuba diving, and it bothers me that you believe there should be. We already have far too much government intrusion, and I'd be right up at the front of the line protesting an increase. You mentioned hang gliding as a comparison. An obvious difference there is that hang gliding puts you in the air where you are potentially endangering civilian, commercial and military aircraft--you are competing for the same air space as other craft. Also, since flying is, to a great degree, like driving a vehicle -- there are "roads" to follow, rules for where you can be, how you enter and leave the air space -- there is understandably a license required. There was a time, of course, when that wasn't true. But if you make a mistake in scuba you're not generally in danger of landing on another diver's house or business and killing everyone. I suppose environmentalist wackos could argue that you could come down on an eel's "house" and that would be enough for these people to insist we have "licenses", but I digress. Scuba diving has been a self-regulated industry. Really, the key piece in my opinion has been the agreement by air filling stations to decline to fill tanks for those who do not hold a recognized certification card. Obviously, there's a way around that, but the liability of a person doing something stupid (like diving without training) falls on the diver. To be honest, if the day ever comes that diving moves out of the self-regulated arena I'll quite completely.

As the owner of a training agency and with diving safety as our first and major priority, I have tried over the past ten years to get a "Time Limit" based on experience into our system, but it has always been blocked... My idea was to have those divers who dive less than five times a year for cards to expire... and those who are diving more than five dives a year will continue to remain "Certified"... Technical divers, CCR and CAVE in particular need to keep their skills sharp to remain safe and would have 2 year certifications... Please share your thoughts...

Which training agency do you own?? I'd like to know so I can avoid one that deems it their responsibility to babysit me.

Interesting and entertaining comments by all. Steve, I hope you dive often and always strive to improve your skills along the way. Most of us who have a passion the sport, believe in protecting the fragile reefs and life they support. Look don't touch; be aware of landing on precious life even in the sand. "The Laconic" says, "there's nothing magic about a certification" well - I've seen terrible divers out there and often wish it wasn't so easy to pass an open certification. Have fun, happy diving!

Out of curiosity, are these other fields hobbies? I'll be honest, I'm having trouble coming up with hobbies that require any certification at all (I'm sure they are out there - just not familiar with them) . Activities like riding a bike or skateboarding are possibly as dangerous (i don't know the statistics) as diving and you don't need a certification at all.

I have a private pilot's license--that's a hobby. While the license is good indefinitely (unless revoked), I do have to maintain a medical and a biennial flight review (every 2 years) in my logbook if I want to fly a plane under FAA Part 91.

I have a ham radio license--that's a hobby--have to renew every 10 years.

I have a motorcycle license--that's a hobby--have to renew every 10 years.

I fly powered paragliders--under FAA Part 103, no license is required--but you would be stupid to not get proper training prior to trying to fly. Certifications in the US are offered by USPPA and USHGA.

I sail boats--again, a license is not required but unless you have some training/experience you will find it hard to get insured, charter a boat, or safely captain a boat. I have Small Boat, Basic Keelboat, Basic Coastal Cruising, and Bareboat Chartering certifications from the American Sailing Association.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom