Shark Toothing: Venice Florida 6-20 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Bend Brian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Took a trip with the family and a friend to Venice Florida to do a two tank shark toothing dive. Before kids my wife & I loved doing beach dives looking for sharks teeth. We always did well in shark tooth numbers but never found the elusive large Meg tooth.

Boat Dive: We did two boat dives with the dive company Florida West SCUBA in 28 - 30 feet of water in the area called the “Boneyard”. The U/W conditions were pleasant with 82 ˚F water but with a poor 6 - 8 foot murky visibility – ut enough viz to look for teeth however.

P1050074-L.jpg

Nice morning

P1050075-L.jpg

Poor U/W viz

We only found a couple of small teeth in our two dives (82 minutes each bottom time) which was a bit disappointing but I did manage to find my largest Meg tooth yet! In light of that and diving with my family it was a successful couple of dives. There were to my knowledge two other good sized meg teeth and a few partials picked up with a lot of bone material too (11 divers). Florida West SCUBA did a great job and was a fine company to dive with. I’d dive with them again.

Beach Dive: In years past my wife & I always did well diving for shark teeth off the beach in 18 feet of water so my buddy and I did a beach dive off the Venice Service Park beach. We geared up & finned out 300 yards on the surface then dropped down to 18 feet of water. Viz was worse than off the dive boat but continuing to fin U/W west we hit an inshore reef in 22 feet, the viz improved to 6 -8 feet, and we started finding the characteristic black fossilized material in which you find sharks teeth. The pickings here were good but just like everywhere else there was a thin layer of sediment on everything.

95% of the teeth pictured below were from the beach dive.

P1050086-L.jpg

Combination of Sand shark, Bull, Lemon, one Meg tooth (largest) and stingray mouth plates and barbs.

Brian

Nice finds. And 8ft viz is actually above average viz here unless you go deeper. The last time I dove I could barely see my hand in front of my face.

Looks like you had a nice calm day on the boat dives.

Hey all, I'm trying to get a group of 6 people together to do a charter in Wilmington, NC on August 23/24. I went diving there 2 wks ago, found 94 teeth and cant wait to go back. I have a charter captain that is free and has me booked- now I just have to fill the boat. I didn't find any monster teeth, but a few people on the boat did find some 6+ inchers. I found 2 that were 4.5, and 8 that were 4 inches. Rest were smaller megs, maco, other shark and meg fragments. Email me directly if you are interested! Can car pool to save $.
Mike Seese mseese@bellsouth.net

---------- Post added August 5th, 2014 at 07:46 PM ----------

By the way, this is a deep dive. 100-105 feet. Nitrox cert and advanced open water divers.

meg.jpgmeg2.jpgThese are my finds from 2 wks ago. 8 like I have in my hand. 94 teeth in all- lots of excellent condition mako and smaller species teeth- still all good sized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom