Moving to Dallas! In a year. Any diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also Glen Rose (Wheeler Branch Park). I am heading there to check it out on July 26th. Feel free to meet up with me. I plan on getting there about 10am and bailing by 3. Two dives, grill out, head home. :)

For the missle Silo, get a hold of Kevin at CrazyScuba. They have a trip planned this September to go there. I am going with them too. Going to be fun.

Welcome (back) to the muck and let's go diving!

There is also Glen Rose (Wheeler Branch Park). I am heading there to check it out on July 26th. Feel free to meet up with me. I plan on getting there about 10am and bailing by 3. Two dives, grill out, head home. :)

Hmmm... I ride my motorcycle around Glen Rose all the time and have never heard of this place. It would be a pretty easy trip from Burleson over there. I'm going to have to research it a bit and maybe take a ride over there just to scope out the area. Do you know anyone who has done and diving there? How is the Viz?

Jim

Hmmm... I ride my motorcycle around Glen Rose all the time and have never heard of this place. It would be a pretty easy trip from Burleson over there. I'm going to have to research it a bit and maybe take a ride over there just to scope out the area. Do you know anyone who has done and diving there? How is the Viz?

Jim

Wheeler Branch is certainly hit or miss on vis. When I was there it was about 2-3 at best, but I've heard reports of 15' and that from a fire department that trains there. There is also a sharp thermocline around 25' deep is memory serves, and I mean sharp! Again without looking at my logbook I want to say 10 degree change in temp.

Jim and Culcuhain, I look forward to your report. I'd like to go back to the place, but have been waiting on better vis reports and know nobody who has dove(dived) it recently.

Safe diving and watch out for the trees that were left I the reservoir before it was flooded. :)

Thank you all for the replies. It's a relief to know there will be plenty of opportunities.

How are the winters in Dallas? I made a couple dives in January and had trouble getting my gear off because it had frozen solid.

Generally pretty mild. Winter in Texas is often a land of extremes. You can be wearing shorts one week and the next have temps colder than parts of Alaska. You will face the problem of the occasional ice storm that will shut the cities down. We don't get ice often enough to learn to drive on it or the equipment to handle deicing the roads.

I would rethink trips down to Cozumel, a lot of us consider the island to be local diving. Flying out of DFW, from takeoff to touchdown in Coz, you would be in Georgetown on IH35 if you were driving.

Thank you all for the replies. It's a relief to know there will be plenty of opportunities.

How are the winters in Dallas? I made a couple dives in January and had trouble getting my gear off because it had frozen solid.

As far as diving goes, a drysuit would be in order (water temps in the 40's)... Look at the Clear Springs Scuba Park website and their conditions area to check out water temps throughout the year. I went year before last in the end of March and it was 57 degrees.

Air temps are usually pretty good. We have bouts of really cold weather (sometimes down to the teens). The temps are often not that bad but the winds are what gets you. The biggest thing in Texas are the ice storms. The temps often hover around freezing so often it rains and then it gets below freezing. On the other hand it's not that unusual to be walking around on Christmas day in short sleeves. It varies by extremes.

Jim

When winter comes and makes it too cold for me to dive (if I can't get south to Comal River/Mexico/Roatan, etc.) it is time to go deer/hog/turkey hunting.

I wish you were moving from Austin :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom