Steel 120? A good buy, or an odd ball tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure what manufacturer made our 120s, but they are VERY tall tanks. I could not use them at all, because I literally could not sit down while wearing them. My husband dives them and likes the way they balance. $220 is a reasonable price, but not a steal. If you are short, do not buy them.

Most likely Faber LP 120s. I have a couple of those too. They are monsters. They hit me in the back of the knees, and I'm almost 6 feet tall. The HP 120s are only slightly taller than an Al 80. The LP 120s are much taller, and are 8 inch diameter.

But I state again, absolutely not a good deal at $220. I have bought and sold HP 120s for $125-$150. And I just picked up another set of HP 120 doubles for $350 including the bands and manifold.

Got a pair of steel HP 120s, I like them since they're the same diameter than AL80s so no futzing around adjusting the cam bands when I switch between em (yes I am sometimes lazy like that)

They're taller than 80s so I wouldn't recommend them for smaller persons since when you pick them up you really have to lift them with your arms to transport them (especially in stairs) otherwise they drag on the ground (with 80s I can keep my arms extended).

Overall I really like them.

Last edited:
I came across a used 120 for sale for $220.

I dont know much about steel tanks, other than in the NW, my Al is causing bouyancy issues, and steel seems a good idea.

I didn't note weather it was HP, or LP. Nor did I note the manufacture.

Im having to play near 32#s of lead to keep me down in my thermals and dry suit on an Al80. Backplate and wing are not in the budget.

Is a steel 120 too cumbersome and un weildy? Is it a fair price for a low pressure tank?
Fair for a + tank?
Am i going to be cracking my skull on the valve?
Am I going to be kicking the tank boot while finning?

Is age a factor?

Do I need to worry about galvanic corrosion? As an old second hand tank was condemed today from corrosion, im not inclined to repeat the mistake.

I have a pair of Assai/Sherwood HP120's and really like them. Yes they can be butt heavy, but if I put an 2 lb ankle weight around the neck, they balance well for me (even using monster Hollis F1 fins).

As everyone has mentioned previously, they are longer than an AL80 so if you're short, that may be a problem

I was back in the shop today and saw what was marked as a faber 95. But it had a + on the hydro for $239.

Does faber make a HP 95?

Is it really a L.p. 95 with a + rating? Does that make it an 104.5?

Is it a decent price?

The + marking on the hydro is for a low pressure steel tank, usually marked 2400 but allowed to be 10% overfilled to 2640 psi. That is included in the volume calculation. The tank holds 95 cf when it is overfilled to 2640. At 2400 it would only have 86 cubic feet. But when cave filled to 3400 it would hold 122 cubic feet. The big difference is they are 8 inch diameter fat boys while the HP 120s are 7.25 inch diameter just like an aluminum 80.

And no, I don't think $239 is a very good price.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Does faber make a HP 95?
Is it a decent price?
According to specification, Faber makes only low pressure 95 - LP95DVB.
Regarding price, just check price of new one and take decision.
Pay attention, that LP95DVB from Faber thick and short, than standard Luxfer aluminum (LAL80). Some people doesn't like that.
Also important that LP95DVB has +1.69 lb. positive buoyancy then empty while LAL80 +3.4. So you can reduce from belt about 1.7 lb
LP95DVB weights 37.2 out of water and LAL80 31.4 lb , so you will take off 1.7 from belt and will add 5.8 lb on your back.
This is low pressure tank with maximum 2640 psi (2400 + 10%) , you can ask to fill it 3000, and probably some dive shop will agree, but you need to understand that you will use tank not according to specification.
I just did this "doctorate" four weeks ago and desided to buy new Sherwood 120, made by Asahi (which some people doesn't like) for $250.
Thin, long, has -4 lb negative buoyancy than empty and support pressure 3442 psi.
Unfortunately today only Faber imports steel tanks to US. Actually I decided to buy WORTHINGTON HP120, but it was not reachable, so bought that was in stock.

My Worthington HP119 8" tank is one of the best purchases I've ever made....

...and I've made a lot of purchases....:D

I am in a similar position to the OP and I am pondering worthington hp120s for single tank diving.

I am just a hair under 6'. I dive dry and I use a 6lb steel backplate, 20lbs on a belt, a hp100 and heavy hollis f1 fins.

I have a dss plate and I used to use the added weight plates, but with the short hp100 cylinder I was very head-heavy, so I removed the plates and moved the weight onto my belt. My trim is much better having done so, but I still find I tend to be head-heavy and have to compensate by finning in order to stay flat.

I keep my cylinder as low as possible to shift weight down, but it's not enough to eliminate the problem entirely, and consequently I can't reach my valve.

I get pretty long dives on the 100s so strictly speaking I don't need 120s for the extra gas (not that I mind an ample reserve). Would the taller cylinder let me me fine-tune my trim or is it just going to be too long?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom