Oxycheq Butt Dump Replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I loaned my buddy an Oxycheq backplate and wing I bought lightly used. It looks brand new and it worked well for her, but in taking off her weight belt she hooked the belt on the butt dump and pulled the whole thing out of the wing. Unfortunately, we did not notice until we were cleaning the gear that night, so the exterior part was lost and I now have a wing with a big hole in it where the dump belongs.

What are my options for repairing this, and how much should it cost? Is this something I can buy the part for and install myself? An LDS quoted me $60-$70 to do the job for me but that seems steep.

Cave Adventures (Florida) carry Oxycheq products and replacement parts. I bought exactly this same part from them for my Oxy wing. Give them a call and you should get the right part

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I replaced all the dumps on my Oxy wings with DSS dumps, much more robust.

How so? Are they made of different materials? Are you using the one with the thicker cord and if so do you prefer it? On my DSS wing I just attach a golf ball to the string so it's super easy to grab in dry gloves.

It is common practice in some (many) circles to remove the Doo-Dads pull thingies from the string and then tie a nice, tight knot in the end of the pull string (and burn it with a lighter). This prevents the Doo-Dad from getting hung on things like weight belts and ripping off the exhaust valve or ripping the bag open or just being a general annoyance. I have been removing the pull Doo-Dads for as long as I can recall. I can see that if you are diving with thick gloves they might (maybe) serve some purpose but otherwise, please just remove them.

N

I replaced all the dumps on my Oxy wings with DSS dumps, much more robust.

Are these parts reliably interchangeable? I tried to get confirmation from Tobin that I could use a DSS dump as a replacement on the Oxy wing, but, understandably, he made no guarantees where other manufacturers' stuff was concerned.

Are these parts reliably interchangeable? I tried to get confirmation from Tobin that I could use a DSS dump as a replacement on the Oxy wing, but, understandably, he made no guarantees where other manufacturers' stuff was concerned.

Yes they are, like I said I've replaced on all my wings without issue. On two I've replaced both sides and on one only the outer cage. Replacing both wing side and outer cage gives more play by a couple of mm. I prefer the more play but couldn't undo bladder side on one of my wings. It still works. In answer to your previous question the material is not the same, DSS use Delrin and Oxy a more brittle plastic, the DSS cage is also thicker. I have previously cracked an Oxy outer cage.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 12:57 PM ----------

It is common practice in some (many) circles to remove the Doo-Dads pull thingies from the string and then tie a nice, tight knot in the end of the pull string (and burn it with a lighter). This prevents the Doo-Dad from getting hung on things like weight belts and ripping off the exhaust valve or ripping the bag open or just being a general annoyance. I have been removing the pull Doo-Dads for as long as I can recall. I can see that if you are diving with thick gloves they might (maybe) serve some purpose but otherwise, please just remove them.

N

Yes, death to Doo-Dads:D

I have been removing the pull Doo-Dads for as long as I can recall. I can see that if you are diving with thick gloves they might (maybe) serve some purpose but otherwise, please just remove them.
N

I took off my doodad and found that pulling the cord is still a cinch. Thanks for the tip.

To tie some of this together...

The DSS valve has a sturdy cord with a not at the end. That alone projects well enough to be easily located but has very little snag potential.

On the Oxycheq dump the string is way too long likes to let the knob play hide and seek. If nothing else slide the knob back to the valve, tie a knot and trim it to make the string about 50% of the original length.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom