Deep Salt Spring Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PfcAJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
As part of the collaboration between KUR and the WKPP, here's a short video of a survey dive at Deep Salt Spring in Port Richey, Fl. In this video, we're surveying a line that circumnavigates the "Shag Room" at 200ft. Not shown (but hopefully to be videoed soon) is another massive room that's crystal clear and even deeper. The ceiling of the "Emerald Room" is at 265 and the floor is 315+, with some parts dropping as deep as 340 according to accounts from the late 1990s.

At present over 800ft of line has been surveyed by WKPP and KUR divers. Another cave has been discovered in close proximity to the main Deep Salt cave system that we hypothesize connects via a new tunnel found near the entrance to Deep Salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzVKK_PPUD8

NUTS!!!!!.....I was hoping that would stay a secret !!!!!.....;-(

I don't think there's anything secret about it. There's an entire youtube channel full of videos from there and its all over the internet.

NUTS!!!!!.....I was hoping that would stay a secret !!!!!.....;-(

access to this site is by permit only and is tightly controlled. but I wouldn't say it was a secret.
there is a lot more work to be done here.

it's an extremely interesting cave. a bit salty for my tastes but neat all the same :)

Looks like an awesome cave!

the room under this one is huge and crystal clear and white. it's very interesting.
we've, meanwhile, connected two new openings to this cave and found a new entrance to the big deep room. more to be done...

I'm with Tony, more please.

I think that exploring new caves would be one of the coolest things a person could do. Seeing something new for the first time....ever, would be amazing.

We're working out the details for another video/ survey dive of the deep sections. Logistically challenging due to the time that will be spent below 270ft and the equipment requirements + negotiating that entrance restriction.

This Sunday, Brian and I scoped out another ridiculous room in Deep Salt. Crystal clear just like the Emerald Room, but a little shallower at 280ft. No going cave, despite a solid effort and a thorough check of every nook and crannie in that room.

However, Mer and Kate were on site to help us place deco gases and were able to explore about 150-200ft of small silty cave toward what we think will prove to be another entrance to the system. There's something to be said for a dive team that can hop into the water, place another teams deco gas, go explore cave, then drop down to 140ft and take a tour around the Shag Room all in one go. It was also their first dive in this cave. Top notch.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom