Halcyon Evolve 60 for new rec diver, single tank, overkill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why you would recommend that? As someone who owns several wings from multiple different manufacturers ... including DSS ... I haven't really noticed a functional difference between how their OPV's work ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The fatter string is definitely nice. On the other hand, tying a second knot about a half-inch above the knot at the end of the string makes just about any string quite easy to grab.

A simple Figure 8 knot right near the OPV works just the same as DSS's fatter knot.
Tying an Ashley Stopper knot at the end of your cord also helps to give you more reference to grab through thick gloves.

No need for the DSS OPV.

Why you would recommend that? As someone who owns several wings from multiple different manufacturers ... including DSS ... I haven't really noticed a functional difference between how their OPV's work ...

The fatter string is a good reason, especially if you detest the little ball Halcyon adds to the end of their pull dumps to compensate for the tiny string. Tobin has a relatively believable little spiel on why you're better off with a part designed to accept a larger string/knot, rather than just boring out the hole in a regular OPV and maybe melting a larger cord's knot into the seat recess.

Another reason, IMO, is that the higher peaked shape makes it easier to manipulate: with the flatter generic H style OPV, I tend to just pull on the string. It's pretty all or nothing and I can feel I'm pulling on the wing/OPV connection. With the DSS, I pinch the string right where it meets the OPV and lever off with my fingers/hand against the OPV...better control over how much gas I dump (which sounds silly and theoretical until you try fine tuning buoyancy on a CCR, where there's zero ability to use breathing to even things out) and all the force is on the string/OPV body itself.

A bigger knot on the H tiny string doesn't solve the issue for me because I'm not grabbing the knot and pulling.

I should say that I freely admit this is me indulging a somewhat OCD desire to gild lilles, rather than a 'you gonn' die!' thing. I use carbide reloading dies in a rockchucker, too. If someone sold a .50 BMG flyswatter, I'd probably buy it.

Last edited:
I've never even noticed a difference ... then again, with dry gloves you're not gonna feel the string anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I usually brace my thumb and index finger against the dump valve itself, and pinch the string between a few fingers. This allows me to precisely vent exactly how much gas I want. Works great on my Halcyon Eclipse 30. Easy to do if you first "encircle" the valve with your index finger. No pulling on the valve or the wing, no 'all or nothing'. But if the DSS dump valve works for you, then by all means. :) I have one on my Torus 49 and it works well.

If you've never done a dive without the valve installed, you should. I tried it for kicks one day -- just removed the valve the during the dive. It was surprisingly easy to dump gas; just raise your butt up a bit.

Really appreciate all the replies. I'm glad I asked here, it's quite difficult to get good advice in English in Japan. A lot of divers and shop staff/owners can communicate to a point but don't know many who are fluent enough to really explain the technical details and why's of this and that. Looks like it's back to the drawing board for me. I'll try to find out if the guy selling the Evolve 60 has access to Eclipse as well, he doesn't have it openly advertised unfortunately. Will look into Hog as well as suggested.

You gotta feel something.

---------- Post added July 3rd, 2014 at 08:10 PM ----------

I've never even noticed a difference ... then again, with dry gloves you're not gonna feel the string anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You gotta feel something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom