Looking for dive buddies to dive Paradise Spring Ocala

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayak-ray

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone interested in diving Paradise Spring in Ocala(formerly known as Wolf Sink and Archway Sink) please let me know, I'm told there are a lot of fossilized remains to be seen in this two cavern system and depths run to around 100 feet. Looking to put together a dive and if everyone is interested in utilizing the picnic facilities we can bring something and make a good lunch. The fees are only $30.00 per diver for the day.

A dive light will be needed to do this dive. All interested please feel free to respond to this thread or just mail me directly from my profile. Look forward to hearing back from everyone. ...also anyone who has done this dive before please ad any suggestions or knowledge you have about this spring.

Thanks and Happy Diving :)

I really enjoy the dive...fossilized whale bones and sand dollarsembedded in the walls...It silts up easily so stay near the ceilings. It also the warmest spring in FL around 75d. It's a winter dive for me since the ocean is so nice now.

Joe

Joe....thanks for the feedback, I have dove Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Devils Den and numerous other springs but never this one....really looking forward to it. I am still looking for people to do the dive with..Ray

When you drop in, oriented facing as though you are walking down the stairs, there is a shallow but rather extensive cavern to your left and back. It does continue all of the way around to your right, but gets much smaller. In front of you, it drops down at roughly a 45 degree angle. The ceiling of that area is roughly 20' underwater, and goes back a decent ways. Spend some time checking out that ceiling. It reaches a wall that drops back down to almost meet the receding floor at ~ 40'. Then the floor drops off down to about 95', where the cavern walls come down to meet it. The ceiling at that point is, if I recall correctly, roughly 75' in depth. There is an area to the left that is a sort of channel that heads back up the slope. To the right is a silt floored room. Don't go any deeper, it gets very tight and very silty. I was in there during some cave training, and I really have no desire to go back. Particularly in the deeper area, Joe gives some good advice about staying near the ceiling, as it is really easy to silt the place out.

S/F are there guidelines installed ? I don't recall any requirements to cave rated to dive there..... can you tell me more about that?

It has been probably 3 years since I have been there, so filter my comments through that lens.

But no, there are no permanent guidelines. Once you reach the top of the debris mound at ~ 10', you must provide your own.

Personally, I feel that one should be at least cavern certified to dive this site. But I would also apply that to Blue Grotto and Devil's Den, so now you know my bias. One person that I am aware of has died at Paradise, in the deeper section that I have recommended that you don't go into. Another person, whom I personally know, had a "Come to Jesus" experience related to the section off to the right just before the deepest section.

Every site is unique, with it's own risks and rewards. If you have seen Blue Grotto, you have probably seen many of the same issues that you might face at Paradise.

The last time I was there, the owner of the property did not require any specialized certification to dive there, but I do remember cautions about not diving past the cavern without proper training and equipment.

I would recommend getting at least a cavern certification before diving this or any other cavern, but since I know that in most cases this isn't likely to happen, I am offering my recollections of the site in the hope that it will make for a safer and more enjoyable dive.

S/F Thanks for your insight amd yes I have been to both Devils Den and Blue Grotto. So your references to them helped a lot. While I am not to terribly interested in cave diving definitely want to get cavern certified. Currently I have achieved my training assistant with NAUI and working on my Instructor ratings as I really want to teach diving.

Again I am appreciative of yours and Cuda's(Joe) info.........now if I could just find a dive buddy or two to do the dive with....preferably people who have already been there....lol

Ray

This is by far my FAVORITE cavern!

10177400_892470227446_2741688612191157497_n.jpg

There is a dummy line that goes all the way into the cavern. It is a big thick rope that cannot possibly break. There is no need to run your own line unless you want to practice. There is a cave down there though so mind the grim reaper sign and stay out. It's a particularly nasty cave from my understanding but something I still want to check out sometime. :)

Tracy & Tampa Scuba, I am glad to hear that and look forward to diving it....not being cave rated I wont go beyond the sign/enter the cave but definitely want to dive both caverns and see the fossilized remains. I am still looking for people to do the dive with if either or both are interested in doing the dive with me.

Ray...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom