Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not 53 but have crapy vision too. The cobalt is better then my lynx on font sizing but not by much. I'm a huge fan of user adjustable font size (dam you apple and you tiny fonts). Please at least keep it in mind for the wrist model :).

I passed my cobalt on to my mother when she certed (at 65 no less) but she said the same thing, some those important numbers about assents are hard to read. On the us side they are better then the little fonts on the gauges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ron, I have a request, being 53 years old, I need reading glasses, for small lettering so when the safety stop timer starts, I cannot read it because the characters are to small, it would be nice when the timer starts the characters center them selves in the screen and become bigger. I've tried the glue in magnifiers and didn't like them because I don't need them for anything else, or another thought might be some kind of interchangeable cover with different magnifications. Anyway that's my wish list.
sincity

I'm well past 53 so I can sympathize. The issue with those numbers, after a Safety, Deep, or Deco Stop appears, is mostly the vertical space. Would you prefer to have the labels be more abbreviated to allow more space for the numeric values? Or for the stop countdown, we could possibly change the depth indication to another location. We need every bit of space in the dive data frame below when the compass is active. We keep looking at ways to improve the display. It helps to hear where people have issues. Thanks for the feedback.

Ron

I would repurpose the compass space for deco/safety stop info so it can be big. But some folks might hate that of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ron: I have another suggestion on UI: Would there be a place on the dive overview screen in the log (where average/max depth, time, air consumption, etc. are shown) to display bottom temperature? I find it cumbersome to step through all the sample points on the dive profile screen to grab the bottom temperature for my paper logbook when all the other data are displayed in an overview fashion.

Maybe I am not doing something correctly but think it would be nice to have all of the required paper logbook data on the same screen.

Thanks for being here and so receptive to feedback from Atomic's customers.

I like griffon's idea, does the compass need to be active anyway when I'm in safety stop, which would mean I'm at the end of the dive anyway, I have the same problem with the compass anyway, I can't see it. I bought a trident magnifying glass and tried it on the last dive but it didn't help.
keep the ideas coming, because I really like this computer. How about some kind of zoom feature!
sincity

Ron: I have another suggestion on UI: Would there be a place on the dive overview screen in the log (where average/max depth, time, air consumption, etc. are shown) to display bottom temperature? I find it cumbersome to step through all the sample points on the dive profile screen to grab the bottom temperature for my paper logbook when all the other data are displayed in an overview fashion.

Maybe I am not doing something correctly but think it would be nice to have all of the required paper logbook data on the same screen.

Thanks for being here and so receptive to feedback from Atomic's customers.

That screen is pretty crowded with information, but possibly. However, since temperature can vary quite a lot during a dive- even at the same depth- we would have to decide what specifically we were going to display. Lowest temperature? Average? Or like tank pressure, highest and lowest? Temperature is a variable, while the other things displayed there are either static (max depth, time, primary gas), ranges (start and end pressures), or calculated quantities (total gas consumption, CFM surface equivalent, average depth).

Ron

I have been searching for a new computer with large fonts, as my eyes (im 49) are getting bad with the smaller characters....narrowing it down to the aeris 300cs, oceanic pro plus 3, and now the Cobalt 2. Is there serious consideration to making the fonts larger, or an optional setting? That would put me over the edge to make the Cobalt purchase. Nothing sucks more than not seeing your dive data, and I too am not a fan of the readers inside the mask.

I like griffon's idea, does the compass need to be active anyway when I'm in safety stop, which would mean I'm at the end of the dive anyway, I have the same problem with the compass anyway, I can't see it. I bought a trident magnifying glass and tried it on the last dive but it didn't help.
keep the ideas coming, because I really like this computer. How about some kind of zoom feature!
sincity

The Cobalt’s screen is divided into three zones. The logic of the division is that the middle sections is “where you are now” items, the top section shows calculated values, stops and times, while the bottom section contains gas related information.

While the compass might not be important at a safety stop, it may be for someone showing a deco or deep stop schedule, which brings up the same basic timer display. We’ve really worked hard with the Cobalt to keep all the dive data always visible, even when using the compass- I think that’s even more important with the Cobalt 2 with it’s more accurate and responsive compass.

I think you are bringing up issues we need to look at, and there may well be a way to make the countdown timer more legible when it is in use without disrupting the logic of the display. This is giving me something to think about. Really, thanks for all these comments- it helps to know where things are that aren’t working as well for people as they would like, to know where to focus attention in UX enhancements.

Ron

That screen is pretty crowded with information, but possibly. However, since temperature can vary quite a lot during a dive- even at the same depth- we would have to decide what specifically we were going to display. Lowest temperature? Average? Or like tank pressure, highest and lowest? Temperature is a variable, while the other things displayed there are either static (max depth, time, primary gas), ranges (start and end pressures), or calculated quantities (total gas consumption, CFM surface equivalent, average depth).

Ron

I would be comfortable with either max (likely surface) and minimum (likely bottom) as they would fit my quarry diving activities well. Those that dive in salt water may have a differing opinion. I agree there may be no room to cram additional data as screen real estate is at a premium. Simply a thought if there was ever a second "dive overview" screen added before or after the dive profile screen.

I do have to say I am impressed with the intuitiveness of the UI and think it is a quality product. I has become difficult to find a company that has a good product, good customer service, and good R&D but I think Atomic has all three.

I have been searching for a new computer with large fonts, as my eyes (im 49) are getting bad with the smaller characters....narrowing it down to the aeris 300cs, oceanic pro plus 3, and now the Cobalt 2. Is there serious consideration to making the fonts larger, or an optional setting? That would put me over the edge to make the Cobalt purchase. Nothing sucks more than not seeing your dive data, and I too am not a fan of the readers inside the mask.

It’s very much something we are looking at for future firmware updates. There are a couple of places in the Cobalt’s display where we use a smaller font- the countdown timer when at a stop being one. During ordinary diving (when not showing stops) the font sizes are pretty big for important data. Some things, like temperature or time of day, are kept smaller as we think they are less essential. But we do make a point that all of your dive data always remains visible, even when there are alerts, dialogs, or the compass is in use.

I will say that you should actually compare displays in the dive screens to see what is best for you- resolution matters as well as size when it comes to legibility, as does brightness and- particularly- contrast. Not everyone “sees” displays the same way. Color perception can vary quite a bit.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom