First timer to Cozumel and First time Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good decision to go with the pre-trip certification! We got certified 8 years ago - did our open water check out dives via referral in Florida.

As you are probably finding out, it is a gear-intensive sport. It is worth it in the long run to spend the extra $ on high quality gear - especially your regulator and computer as they will become your life support. Research the different options out there - don't let your local dive shop sell you something just because that's the brand they carry.

When you finally do make it to Cozumel, be honest with the dive operation, boat captain and dive master in regards to your comfort level and experience - don't fall into the trap of "I'm certified now, I know everything there is to diving!"

Something else to consider - do you have friends or another couple that also might be interested in getting certified?? Looking down the road, traveling with friends to different dive destinations around the world has been a lot of fun for us!!!

Enjoy!!!

Congratulations on both your decisions and best wishes for fun and growth they bring.
We are just up the road from you in GB. About eight years ago my teens were certified. One did OW in Tahoe and the other in Lake Natomas, so I emailed Aldora in Coz and explained their experience. They arranged for both of them to have their own DM for the first few dives and worked with them on clearing their ears, buoyancy, kick ... and overall comfort. They were incredibly patient and encouraging, but most of all they emphasized safety and my teen's responsibility to communicate their comfort levels. All this was at no extra cost; they just wanted to insure my kids enjoyed the initial experience and were safe. Now I have two dive buddies and we go back yearly with Aldora. My daughter is also 5' [she claims taller, but then again I claim I am lighter] and they started her on 80s to make it easier. My son is big and an air vacuum, so he started on 120s. A SMB is a must for coz's currents, but you need to practice using it and a reel ahead of needing it. Just let whatever dive op you go with know you want to practice. I recommend you email aldora or one of the other noted ops from the scubaboard and tell them your situation. I found them to be professional, friendly and accommodating.

best of luck,
cddfamily

Runner, congrats on making pre cert your action plan. I think most here would applaud that decision.

One more word of caution. Consider your gear carefully. I told you that I had a first experience in Cozumel that was challenging. I too was very petite, but not quite as height-challenged as you. On the first dive I was wearing gear that was rented in the states from my local dive shop, the shop that I got certified through. All the gear was slightly too large, and I discovered on dive #1 in a ripping current that I had an amazing talent for rolling like a tumbleweed. I, and those who were with me, laugh about it now...in fact on every trip they recall that sight. At the time it was not so funny. It was a lesson in feeling completely out of control. My dive op showed up the next morning with child-size gear and steel 90 which I could better manage. No more tumbling. The fins and mask that came with my original cert were also crap...err...less than awesome. Investing in good gear made all the difference in the world.

Best wishes to you both, on your marriage and diving! I hope you post here to tell of you experience. :)

UPDATE:

So!! Both the fiancé and I got certified in Monterey, CA this weekend! I have to say, I'm SUPER glad we decided to get certified here. It was more stressful than I had anticipated (and way more, I think, than the soon-to-be-Mr. was anticipating). Also, it helped that our first open water dive was a little rough, so I definitely got to see what more challenging conditions looked like (we ended up calling it a day after only one dive). The second day was much better and we were able to do our remaining 3 checkout dives without much issue. But seriously, if I can dive in this water, in a super thick wet suit, hood, gloves and in (relatively) cold water, Cozumel should be easy peasy.

Anyway, just wanted to say THANK YOU to all you lovely folks on the board who shared your tips and helped sway me to the at-home-certification decision. You're the best! :thumb:

UPDATE:

So!! Both the fiancé and I got certified in Monterey, CA this weekend! I have to say, I'm SUPER glad we decided to get certified here. It was more stressful than I had anticipated (and way more, I think, than the soon-to-be-Mr. was anticipating). Also, it helped that our first open water dive was a little rough, so I definitely got to see what more challenging conditions looked like (we ended up calling it a day after only one dive). The second day was much better and we were able to do our remaining 3 checkout dives without much issue. But seriously, if I can dive in this water, in a super thick wet suit, hood, gloves and in (relatively) cold water, Cozumel should be easy peasy.

Anyway, just wanted to say THANK YOU to all you lovely folks on the board who shared your tips and helped sway me to the at-home-certification decision. You're the best! :thumb:
Congratulations on your successful certification! As you say, after the conditions you dove in for your checkout dives, you will find most of the diving in Cozumel to be well within your burgeoning comfort zone. Also, your certification is more "portable" this way.

Enjoy your trip!

UPDATE:

Congrats!!

Good idea! :thumb: Glad y'all got it done.

Coz will be easier, but it'll still be your first dive in that current, maybe your first boat dive, etc. so do hire a private DM the first day. :wink:

Congrats and Dandy Don's advice is good since you were a little uncomfortable at first. A private DM for the 2 of you should be around $50 for the first day and will help you immensely, it did for me on my first dive after certification in Cozumel.

They are going will Alison, so they will have the next best thing to a second DM. She has been known to just bring a second DM along if she thinks she has newbies that need more watchin'

They are going will Alison, so they will have the next best thing to a second DM. She has been known to just bring a second DM along if she thinks she has newbies that need more watchin'
Good choice, but my suggestion stands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom