How Long Before You Went Tech and Did You Break Taboos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you do it and why?
Did my first doubles dive 52 months after my OW certification, on Dive 185. Started Tech 1 month after that, on dive 198. Finished Tec 11 months later on Dive 219. In looking back at my log book, I am surprised at how little I seemed to be diving at that time. Much of what I was doing at that point was in the pool, and not logged as dives, as I was doing DM training at the time

The timing worked for me. I was probably a somewhat timid diver at first. I can't say I broke any taboos, other than diving deeper than 130 ft. as a recreational diver.

My diving frequency definitely increased as a result of taking Tec - I simply felt more confident in the water. But, there was an interesting psychological aspect of the process - not necessarily good, or bad. With each dive to a greater depth, I felt less anxious about dives to shallower depths. I don't mean more cavalier, or less attentive, etc. Rather, I noticed that I didn't 'think about' shallower dives as much as before, in the sense that they did not produce anxiety the way they did at first. Probably most of us go through that. So, diving to greater depths, and executing dives that required decompression left me with a level of confidence that carried over to shallower, shorter recreational dives as well.

Last edited:
How did you do it?

My answering that in too much detail would provoke substantial arm-waving from certain SB members. It’s indisputable there are more regimented approaches to advanced dive training available now versus a couple decades ago, and it’s safer to learn that way (how much safer is only answerable with it depends…). I don’t believe all good ideas should be mandatory; but if you decide to do something your own way, you shouldn’t expect others’ sanction for doing something they don’t agree involves a reasonable risk.

I started doing basic deco diving within a month or so after AOW/rec nitrox--which I did right after OW because that was the first chance work gave me to get back in the water. I’ve always been comfortable underwater (former lifeguard instructor and whitewater guide), SCUBA gear wasn't a mystery after rebuilding a Jag V12 on a law student’s budget, and I have pictures from OW to prove that horizontal trim and efficient propulsion came pretty easily to me. And I’ve always been very self-reliant. So I did my homework, bought my gear, and went diving. A lot. Eventually I took a basic tech course and later a CCR course. Both taught me lots; neither one really caused me to think I'd been diving with a serious case of myopia all that time. Not quite three years after my OW class, most of my diving is on a CCR/DPV at 70m-110m.

Everyone’s different, but if someone feels the need to come to a community like SB looking for approval or debate about their risk choices, maybe they’re not all that sure about their choices in the first place. And some people who are really sure they’ll be fine turn out be dead wrong. If they weren’t six feet under, the Spiveys would likely have posted much the same thing I just did. It’s fine to think you’re a special snowflake, but if you’re mistaken about that as it relates to diving the consequences can be quite harsh. And it’s impressive just how fast the harshness accelerates with depth/BT/hard overheads/silt and entanglement risks. And if you are a special snowflake, there’s no need to tell everyone about it – just go dive.

Because I wanted to, I thought I could, and I like individual challenges where there are severe penalties for failure is probably the simplest answer. I also like biotech investing, solo treks through genuine wilderness, and spear hunting boar with no dogs and no gun…I was probably born about 2,500 years too late. Why deep wreck and ledge diving instead of BASE jumping or ultra marathons or whatever has more to do with how much I like water, history, exploration, and gear. Why not cave diving has more to do with geography and a touch of claustrophobia. Still, I’m seriously reconsidering the rewards of relatively deep diving because of my disinclination towards relying on team bailout and the sheer PITA that’s involved in doing these kinds of dives as an every weekend kind of thing.

"May you live long and prosper". To each his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished my Tec 40 yesterday, after almost 6 years as a diver and about 300 dives. I actually had to do the dives for the course twice, with a bit of soul searching in between. The first time around, in early May, it seemed like if something could go wrong, it did go wrong... it took awhile to mentally debrief myself about that weekend, and whether or not this was for me after all -- to be honest, I'm still not 100% sure. The second time around was like night and day compared to the first time. I don't want to say it was easy, but it was close.

Breaking taboos? I hit 132 feet once and may have had a 1 min deco obligation on another dive (it cleared on the way up).

I noticed that I didn't 'think about' shallower dives as much as before.

I felt similarly. I didn't have anxiety about shallower dives, but it seemed like I noticed more about other divers when I was doing shallower dives. Kind of like watching a movie for a second time and picking up pieces you missed the first time.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 08:04 PM ----------

Everyone’s different, but if someone feels the need to come to a community like SB looking for approval or debate about their risk choices, maybe they’re not all that sure about their choices in the first place. And some people who are really sure they’ll be fine turn out be dead wrong. If they weren’t six feet under, the Spiveys would likely have posted much the same thing I just did. It’s fine to think you’re a special snowflake, but if you’re mistaken about that as it relates to diving the consequences can be quite harsh. And it’s impressive just how fast the harshness accelerates with depth/BT/hard overheads/silt and entanglement risks. And if you are a special snowflake, there’s no need to tell everyone about it – just go dive.

Not sure if any of that was meant for me, so I'll clarify just in case. I didn't post to debate. I'm also well aware many people are very much against the kind of progression I've followed and for good reason. I'm really more curious if other people out there followed the same kind of progression. You don't hear about it much and I've enjoyed reading the stories of other people. Thanks for contributing with your experience.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 08:06 PM ----------

Breaking taboos? I hit 132 feet once and may have had a 1 min deco obligation on another dive (it cleared on the way up).

I stuck my hand in the mud once and hit 132 feet. It made me smile :).

Not sure if any of that was meant for me, so I'll clarify just in case. I didn't post to debate. I'm also well aware many people are very much against the kind of progression I've followed and for good reason. I'm really more curious if other people out there followed the same kind of progression. You don't hear about it much and I've enjoyed reading the stories of other people. Thanks for contributing with your experience.

Not directed at you, I've just seen a number of posts from over the past few months that make me wonder whether some aren't more interested in talking about progressing in diving in a way that's going to ruffle some feathers among the formal training only advocates, than actually going diving that way. The "breaking taboos" line did make me a tad suspicious though, because I've never really thought of it that way. There's what I want to do, there's how I see others doing it, and then there's how I choose to do it. Oftentimes that last one will not resemble the second, but not just for the sake of being contrary. Well, usually not :D

I think it's safe to say a lot of us have learned technical diving largely, if not exclusively, by experience and mentoring rather than by following the rules set by a bunch of people selling cards and classes--I know I have. But I can see their side of it, too, in that the more adventurous among us sometimes fail to understand the magnitude of the risks we're taking. Which is entirely our call, but there's a Gary Gentile quote that comes to mind:
Many people do not recognize their limitations, and when they do, they are about to die.

I agree that understanding your limitations is THE most important rule in determining your progress in diving.

I started diving twins around dive 70 after OW and now I've been diving TMX, 2 deco, just shy of dive 200. That might sound fast, but I grew up in So Cal, and surfed, played water polo, and did competitive swimming while growing up. The feeling of being held underwater for an unknown time (after wiping out on a wave or by a malicious water polo opponent) was normal for me. Until I learned how to dive, I was snorkelling and diving on a single breath to around 10 m regularly, which in retrospect was more dangerous than anything I did scuba diving. I did an accelerated training schedule simply because my waterman skills and overall comfort in the water were already there.

Two things I've really learned to appreciate in this fast progression:
- I learned the proper way of doing things not only through instruction, but also mentorship, and continue to refine my skills before any bad habits have taken told. I'm still learning, and without the burden of having to 'unlearn'.

- I take nothing for granted and still have a cautious, student mentality and am well aware of my limits. For example, all of my diving have been in warm tropical waters. The day I find myself in the cold waters of N america or Europe, I will go back to single tank recreational diving until I feel comfortable in that environment. I have no illusions of the limitations of my experience.

I'm pretty happy with this approach and its better to have the caution of a student than the folly of the experienced. I've seen a lot of divers show up on the boat, with 800 dives, but only 4 dives in the past year, and are just a mess. However, because of their experience, they have the illusion that they are more skilled than they actually are.

I grew up in So Cal, and surfed, played water polo, and did competitive swimming while growing up. The feeling of being held underwater for an unknown time (after wiping out on a wave or by a malicious water polo opponent) was normal for me.

Me too :).

---------- Post added July 9th, 2014 at 08:49 PM ----------

The "breaking taboos" line did make me a tad suspicious though, because I've never really thought of it that way.

I guess I view exceeding what your certifications qualify you for as breaking taboos. And likewise, it has nothing to do with breaking "rules", it's just the diving I want to do and the formal training doesn't always keep pace with the informal training, mentoring, research, and practice.

Although in my 50+ years of SCUBA I've done dives that could be considered tech, I've not had any great desire to "go tech." That said, I am certain I would benefit from the training. However, my "porpoise" in diving is to film critters and bring the footage back to educate divers and non-divers about the marine life "down under." If I were to want to film critters in locations where tech diving skills are necessary, I would certainly consider proper training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom