Fantasea vs Itorch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drummerace

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I am new to the board. I have a gopro and wanted to pair it w/ a light. I am currently looking at the fantasea and the itorch pro 5. For the exception of the price difference, how are theses compared? I can't tell the difference (except for the $160 price tag difference).

Sent from my iPhone

The i-torch comes with a YS mount. That is about the only difference I can see. I do see that the fantasea is 6000K color temp. Not sure what the color temp is on the i-torch. The i-torch has two modes. The fantasea has three modes. So for the extra $160 I think I'd buy a really nice mounting system and get the fantasea.

That is what I thought, I rather spend 40 more and get two lights haha.

Sent from my iPhone.

I'd normally say i-torch is a Canadian company. So you might be paying for lower volume, higher labor costs, exchange rate on the dollar, shipping around the border, etc. but $160??!?

I asked through live chat I torch is better quality but not that much better. There was a used one for the same price as the fantasea but it was low rating in regards to used quality haha w/e

Sent from my iPhone.

I had an iTorch that flooded (totally my fault). While it worked, it was very decent light considering the price tag: wide and even beam. The model I had was only 180 lumens, so the reach was limited, however, bright enough to shoot under ledges and close range for under $35.

Here are some frame captures, this was with a HERO2, hence the "noise". This is a 180 lumen light, not the sun. I believe their more powerful lights are just as [proportionally] good.

2-3 feet away
NvdXt7L.jpg

5-6 feet away
wLig7TU.jpg

This fella had a nice $1000 light:
ybkN2Xo.jpg

I just noticed from the Optical Ocean Sales they are selling the Video 5+ and the 5+ is actually the same as the FantaSea light and the same price.

I wonder if the Video 5 was the old, overpriced model and now you can get the Video 5+ for the same money as the FantaSea and with the same features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom