Ran over at LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the post. You were lucky. When using a flag and float I always pay attention to make sure I am free of the line and hold it out to the side. Invariably in the course of the dive the line gets wrapped around an arm, leg, fin etc. I always stop and remove for this very reason. A lesson for all. Keep us posted on any developments.

Towing with a fast scooter is a whole different ballgame than swimming towing a ball and flag while diving. It would be impossible to hold a reel while attached to my scooter for very long. The pull is way to hard. Therefore it gets clipped to my side and a line cutter is on my wrist. This happened very very quickly and the prop cut the line fortunately.

It wasn't a murder attempt

"Murder is the unlawful killing, with malice aforethought, of another human, and generally this premeditated state of mind distinguishes murder"

It would be considered murder if someone recklessly took shots with a handgun in public; even if they weren't looking at a victim. A vehicle can be as much a weapon as a gun.
Not all legally prosecuted murder cases are premeditated either. A crime of passion killing can still be a murder. Negligent homicide is still homicide.
Aiming for a dive flag doesn't sound particularly accidental. Especially prior to acknowledging the incident by stopping and immediately leaving the scene.

Prosecuting to the highest degree of law might set a strong enough example that others might start paying attention.

All murders are homicides, not all homicides are murder. Homicides include voluntary and involuntary manslaughter.

Boaters aren't out there intentionally killing divers, they are just clueless and inattentive.

The problem with the boaters is that they follow the reef line. They use the color line between the sand and the reef as a navigational highway. They're chatting and drinking beer, completely clueless to their surrounding, just checking the color line once in awhile to make sure they are on course. Everyone that shore dives in S Fl has horror stories of watching the spinning propellers go overhead.

When the aren't in their boat endangering divers with their inattention, they are in their car endangering bicyclists

That's the truth. You must ride your bike also here in S. Florida?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Members are reminded that SB does not support suggestions of dangerous and/or illegal practices that would damage a boat. One such reference reported to moderators has been removed, as will any further posts advocating the same. Thank you. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Everytime I think about it or tell someone I get infuriated.
New invention: hand held acoustic homing torpedo.

Picture something the size of a baseball bat; small explosive charge with homing module on the front; and fast, short range engine on the back. Max range; ½ mile.

You see/hear a boat get too close; pull it out from the tank mount; turn on and point at the boat. When it hears the engine and locks on; it flashes a green LED. Push the engine start button and let go.

The Diver Defender Torpedo© homes on the boat at 50 mph and then ensures that boat will never drive over another diver again! Bonus: New Wreck Site!

I am so inventing this after your story.

OP I feel your frustration, I have many hobbies in which I must enjoy it defensively as others can (and often attempt to) ruin my activity by not paying attention. This results in a dangerous situation for me while riding my bicycle, motorcycle or diving.

I think the best thing to do here is to let the situation humble you even further and to find solace in the fact that you still have the reflexes and gut instinct to continue doing what you love. There will ALWAYS be people like that boater around, nothing we can do about that. What we can do is be present at all times while enjoying our sport and spreading awareness just as you are now.

I'm glad you all made it out of the situation safely and here's to hoping the bastard took a serious look at his actions that day. Safe diving to everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom