Q2 Erasable Magnetic Slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its really not for the complex notes you would use the pencil type slates for (though it has one on the back that works kinda crappy) its for simple large font few or one word commands or messages that are high enough contrast visibility to hold up to a dive group or buddy.

Because those pesky hand signals are so confusing and hard to see from five feet distant. Much better to break out a magnetic slate to issue commands, like: stop, abort dive or share air, or one word notes like 'boat?', 'turtle!', 'fishes'.

Hard to believe one of these slates would be relegated to a closest for years. Seems like it would become an indispensable piece of kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A magnetic slate would not appeal to me because of the potential effect on a compass.

Blessings!

ShootnStr8

An example of a one word message I have sent using the slate was: "crusher?" as a proposal for a follow up destination after we found ourselves bored of looking that the boat in Haigh quarry with a ton of air left. Pointing off into the gloom is a bit vague for something like that as there were a number of things in that direction and it would assume my dive buddy knew everything in that direction to start with. I happened to have taken compass bearings on the other buoys before we went down the line at the boat so there was no need to surface for the relatively short swim.
You would not use a slate to replace a basic hand signal.

As far as the magnetics you made me wonder myself. The compass on my Aeris console can find the dive slate at 6" and my steel scuba tank at 8" so you wouldn't want to hold the compass and slate in the same hand while in use. The magnetic field of the slate is too weak to permanently effect the compass however.

Well he's got a point. I mean there is no signal for scuba ninja is there?
It was kinda fun to play underwater pictonary that one time; now that I recall.

P7281500.jpgP7281505.jpg

I just looked to see which one I have and it says Innovative scuba concepts QII so maybe that is the one you are referring to.

I had the one by the same manufaturer, I think it was the "mini quest"?
Think it only made it on a few dives. Didn't find it very convenient & it either quit working / broke easily. Just remember it relegated to a scuba junk box quite quickly.
Wasn't impressed with it - build/convenience or real advantages over my other slates. Of course someone else might have better luck.

We had one of those things. We played around with it for several dives, even played "hang man" with it while sitting near the cave entrance at Vortex. But it was just to bulky for me to carry it on every dive. Not that it was very big but with camera and gear that was one less thing I wanted to be attached to me during a dive. I had a "case" for it and i remember that being a PITA to get it out of underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom