Packing List for Flower Garden Trip on the Fling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WestHoustonDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Getting excited about my upcoming First trip to the Flower Gardens on the Fling.

To all you Fling veterans, can you pls fill me in on how much personal storage space is avail onboard?

I'm only onboard Fri eve, 5 dives Sat, & 2 dives Sun, back by Sun eve.

So how many shorts, t-shirts, swim trunks, etc... do you recommend? I don't want to overpack, but not underpack either.
How cold do they keep the AC in the cabin? long sleeves shirt needed?
any more must haves needed?
ie: rash guard shirt, shorty wetsuit for July?
Dramamine/Bonine tabs?

Thanks,

There is not a lot of storage space, but there will be room for soft-sided bags underneath your bunk. Plan two bags - one for dive gear and another (duffel) bag for clothes/toiletries, etc. I typically bring/wear two pairs of shorts (one to get on/off the boat and a second pair to wear after cleaning up for the day and sleep in). I bring three t-shirts (one clean one for each day). One or two swimsuits. Keep in mind you should not bring anything wet into the cabin as it will reek of wet neoprene and salt water, so be prepared to tie clothes to the drying areas or bring clamps/binder clips, etc to secure them. The cabin is cold but I find I sleep easily in a tshirt with the provided blanket.

Even with warmer water I wear full 3mm or 2/3mm, as I start to chill by the end of the day. Also nice to have full suit to protect against stingers that might be in the water column.

Even if you don't get seasick easily, take/bring seasickness meds. The gulf can be rough and can change quickly. Also bring hotel sized shampoo and body wash for a nice rinse at the end of the dive day. Bring two regular towels, or a microfiber towel that will dry quickly. Often there is not enough time to allow a regular towel to dry between dives. As far as gear, be sure you wear gloves and carry your SMB.

One tip - once you arrive at the dock, before you do anything else, spray yourself with bug spray. The mosquitoes are vicious. Once you leave the dock you won't need it, so can leave it in the car.

When you heading out??, we're on the Aug 25th trip......For diving, I'm taking my skins(may be able to use them only), a 3 mil shorie---just in case, & a 2 mil chicken vest---just in case(will only need one each to be worn over my skins)........Will wear a lycra hood(for in-water sun protection to my bald head...:))....Clothes??-a couple extra tee-shirts & shorts & a sweat shirt---just in case.......Not much room for bags etc, will probably keep 'clothes bag'--in the form of a back pack-- on my bunk & sleep with it @ the foot of bunk.......Good luck, you should have a great trip........

Bring gloves. The mooring line is a permanent line and covered with all sorts of life. Much of it will sting unprotected flesh.

Wet suits are not allowed in the salon. The first day is 5 dives. My cold tolerance drops as the diving day goes on. Starting with a 3mm is probably a good idea. Stetson also tends to be cooler than the East or West bank. Getting dry between dives will probably help you not be so cold.

Sun screen. Mosquito repellent. The mosquitos will try to take a pint minimum while you wait at the dock.

The salon is kept pretty cool. It helps reduce sea sickness. Two shirts. Something to sleep in, you will be sharing a bunk room with other people.

Safety sausage. Tank marker light. Dive light. Spare batteries.

Your best listening ears to listen to the briefings and a good attitude to have fun.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for the excellent advice so far!
I checked out all the videos & pics of the Fling, but didn't see any pics of the storage area underneath your bunks. So thanks for the info.
I've always dived Cozumel in just my swim trunks year round. But that's just 2 boat dives a day.
Looking at 5 dives on Sat, I'll bring my old 3 mil shorty. Is that enough, or should I bring a few short sleeve rash guard shirts? or buy a long sleeve rash guard?
Thanks for the advice about mosquito repellent, gloves & long sleeve shirt for the cabin.
A few more questions:
I'm going solo, so will they assign me a dive buddy once onboard?
I have 2 tanks, but not inspected in a while, & don't plan on bringing them. Do I need to notify the boat of dive shop that they provide me one onboard or will they already have them avail?
My equipment is pretty old. Just had regs inspected & tuned last wk. Have a save-a-dive kit in my bag. But just in case, some straps or something else breaks, will ship have spare parts to tie me over?

Thanks again,

I checked out all the videos & pics of the Fling, but didn't see any pics of the storage area underneath your bunks. So thanks for the info.
I've always dived Cozumel in just my swim trunks year round. But that's just 2 boat dives a day.
Looking at 5 dives on Sat, I'll bring my old 3 mil shorty. Is that enough, or should I bring a few short sleeve rash guard shirts? or buy a long sleeve rash guard?
Thanks for the advice about mosquito repellent, gloves & long sleeve shirt for the cabin.
A few more questions:
I have 2 tanks, but not inspected in a while, & don't plan on bringing them. Do I need to notify the boat of dive shop that they provide me one onboard or will they already have them avail?
My equipment is pretty old. Just had regs inspected & tuned last wk. Have a save-a-dive kit in my bag. But just in case, some straps or something else breaks, will ship have spare parts to tie me over?

Thanks again,

They will provide you an AL80. If you are not already nitrox certified, take the course on the trip. It makes for much better and safer diving.

I was always fine at the FGB in just a nylon t-shirt at that time of year. It will be a bit warmer than Cozumel. A shorty is a good backup. I used to bring a .5 mm but never needed it. I always liked a beach towel and 2 bathing suits and nylon tees as changing room is tight. I used the upper deck. Always a chance of making as ass of yourself. Bring clips to attach towel and wet bathing suit above to dry. I also did not use gloves. In well over 100 dive, I never encounter any bad suspended stinging stuff.

A few more questions:

Thanks again,

I assume you signed up through a dive shop? Sometimes the boat will take reservations directly but that is the rarity as I understand it. Either way, if solo, make it known to your trip leader or one of the DM on the boat and they will get you squared away with a buddy.

As mentioned above, don't bring a tank, they have them on the boat. Bring nitrox card if certified. Five dives a day you will want it.

As for spares, especially with older gear you need to bring what you will need. Do not count on the boat having spares. This includes lead. Bring your own - the boat has some, but again, don't count on it having enough or the correct denominations.

Thanks for the info.
Yes, I've booked through Sea Sports Scuba here in Houston.
Tom has been excellent with communications. He confirmed that the boat will provide tank for me.

Since I left the military, all my dives over the past 20 yrs has been recreational 2 shore or boat dives per day. So I never upgraded my analog instruments to dive computers, nor got Nitrox cert.
This will be first 5 dive day.
Don't plan on doing that many dives per day in the future, so not sure if I need computers & nitrox.

BTW, Next dive trip is next month with family, cruise ship to Cozumel, Belize & Roatan/Honduras. We'll dive all 3 places, but again, just 2 tank boat dives there per day.
Always use rental equip at those ports...

WHD, chances are someone(maybe you know right now) would/could loan you a dive computer for the weekend trip----OR, someone on the boat could/would loan an extra they're carrying with them(If I were on the trip I'd have an extra for you...)......Also, I dive only air & have never had a problem with the 1st day schedule the Fling gives you....you'll do/be just fine, sit back & enjoy the trip......

If you do not have a computer, then you will be restricting your assigned buddy's diving with air in an Al80 (dive will probably be NDL limited). Get a computer for the trip and avoid being a burden to your buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom