Ran over at LBTS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My limited experience in Florida (and elsewhere) is that law enforcement is much more lenient with boaters, while monitoring the activity of divers with a particularly sharp focus. You tend to get the impression that there is a general attitude that the activities of boaters are more legitimate, and that divers are in some vague way interlopers.

That was exactly the feeling I got when I was dealing with the FWC after being hit last August.

Everybody boats or wants to, not everybody dives and the numbers are 100,000-1, not in our favor. What the Sheeple see above the water and on land is "their reality" and all that is important to them. They live in a bubble! What is underwater and out of sight/out of mind is really not their concern.

Unfortunately I have delt with this my whole life with all the different hobbies I have had such as Motorcycle touring, racing, skydiving, hang gliding, spelunking, ect, ect. The popo looks out for the sheeple and always will because they are simply sheeple with a badge.

A few years ago, a bunch of us from SB did a reef ID fish count. We went in at Datura St. I decided to bring my lobster gear along.. just in case. Upon exit, there was a FWC officer wanting to see lobster licenses. Sure. No problem. Drop my gear down. Open the trunk of my car. Show him my license. He gave me a warning because it was not physically on me (this was in the days when the license was still paper, not waterproof like now).
We go back out to do a second dive. Boat splits our flags.. where was FWC then?
Looking for another EASY (revenue)​ target.

Mini season is coming, that's when we get to see divers in boats demonstrate how they safely operate boats around their fellow divers in the water. They're divers not your average clueless boater, they know what a dive flag is. :shakehead::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Mini season is coming, that's when we get to see divers in boats demonstrate how they safely operate boats around their fellow divers in the water :shakehead::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:
Now that you mentioned that, I'll be doing some lobster diving this mini season probably aroound Ft Lauderdale with a co-worker on his boat. I'll be sure to target all dive flags. :wink1:

I am not from Florida but like to go there and am considering doing some shore dives- where is LBTS?

maybe????......he/she got your float line wrapped around the prop shaft behind the propeller of their outboard(s) and cut into the seals around the shaft(s)--------allowing water to leak in and gear lube to leak out........If you were lucky, both engines 'got it'.........Also glad everyone was OK......

..... where is LBTS?

Shmuggy;
I apologize for this, but I cannot let you in on our "Cracker Code" seeeecret word for the Small Florida City called: "Lauderdale By The Sea".
But if you come down here with a case of Devils Backbone Beer in Bottles, I just might be able to help you out.
I apologize for the extortion, but I'm out of Virginia Craft Brew at the moment.
Also, you might be a Cavaliers fan.
And we cannot have that.
Unless you contact me personally for a guided tour.

Chug
Missing Lexington.
GO HOKIES!!!!

Youngest just graduated VT last month. :wink: Oldest is trying to get off planet, Mars to be exact. :cool2:

Diver 85 I like how you think. Maybe some spiderwire with a weak link breakaway.:D

Or a speargun with a loaded tip. Do they make them in .45?

But if you come down here with a case of Devils Backbone Beer in Bottles, I just might be able to help you out.
I apologize for the extortion, but I'm out of Virginia Craft Brew at the moment.

I completely agree with Chug on this issue.
I'm not even a beer drinker, but a visit to the Devil's Backbone taproom a few months ago made me consider attempting to pass a law in which all people from the north bring down a case with them for donation, to be allowed to look at the water in Florida; and more if they want to swim or dive in it.
I got a very sad email to tell me they couldn't ship to me directly, and have been examining options, and this approach seems feasible. :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom