Cayman Islands or St Kitts? Maybe Aruba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to get ideas for a dive holiday in January. My husband and I live in London, and want to go for 8-9 days, somewhere easily connected to London. This has led me to St Kitts and the Cayman Islands. Our previous Caribbean experience was Grenada, which we really loved, and my husband has been to Tobago, which he also liked- the lazy small islands do appeal. We've also been to Thailand and Bali.

Any anyone tell me if either of these two are worth diving for that length of time? If so, what are the highlights? I'm also considering stumping up for the Maldives, although this is highly unlikely. Other options are Bonaire or Aruba.

I am AOW with 50 dives and the husband is a DM. We have a new camera we're keen to use, which makes drift diving less than desirable.

Many thanks in advance.

Claudia

LC or Brac hands down........IMO.......UNLESS you're really considerin' da Maldives..:)(that is number 2 on my bucket list right now?).....

In regard to diving :

Between St Kitts and Caymans the Caymans will win hands down, it's no contest. The Caymans consist of 3 islands for diving with the smaller and more remote island you go the better the diving, but plenty of people enjoy Grand Cayman. The nicest thing about St Kitts is that Nevis is close by and you can go there instead, but still not for the diving.

Bonaire and Aruba are the same reef system and marine life, with Bonaire being easier shore diving (reefs are closer to the shore) and much more of it (more dive sites), Bonaire being sleepier with no luxury to speak of compared to Aruba which is much more built up.

If this is mainly a dive trip, and you like shore diving, personally if you've never been to Bonaire I'd go there. Bonaire is on many people's diving bucket list and it's there for a reason. Go there and experience it, it's the only place like it and check that one off your list.

If this is mainly a dive trip and you like boat diving then go to Little Cayman. Little Cayman is on many people's diving bucket list and it's there for a reason. Go there and experience it, it's the only place like it and check that one off your list.

Brac and LC will be windy but always excellent diving. Nassau groupers start to congregate late January and february and it is quite spectacular. You'll probably never eat another grouper again when you see how absolutely beautiful and friendly they are. So it's decided, Cayman Islands. Cheers

We thoroughly enjoyed our Little Cayman trip in February 2013, but based on what I've read, we may have lucked out on the weather. It got rough the day we left. However, if you're not there to dive, there's not much else to do in LC. Have you considered the liveaboard, the Aggressor, that (when weather permits) visits all three of the Cayman Islands? Based on the planned length of your trip, I believe the itinerary would allow you a day or two in Grand Cayman after the boat returns to either dive some more, visit the Turtle Farm, snorkel with stingrays, shop or chill on the very lovely Seven-Mile Beach.

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2014 at 07:55 PM ----------

And to second Vincent, I too have become smitten with Groupers to the point that they are forever off the menu.
Brac and LC will be windy but always excellent diving. Nassau groupers start to congregate late January and february and it is quite spectacular. You'll probably never eat another grouper again when you see how absolutely beautiful and friendly they are. So it's decided, Cayman Islands. Cheers

New camera, never been, want to go slow and look at stuff.
give Bonaire a try.

of the ones you posted - I agree with they Caymans

I have been to Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. I think LC has better diving. The Bloody Bay Wall is spectacular. I am there now and in the last few days have seen nurse sharks, reef sharks, eagle rays, sting rays, Nassau grouper, black grouper, tiger grouper, yellowfin grouper, hawksbill turtles ( many of which are very unconcerned about divers ), and all sorts of great macro life. The visibility can hit over 100', the worst I have seen this week is about 80'. There is little current. The corals are in pretty good shape. The diving ranges from 110' to 10'. The wall here is very, very good.

That being said, Cayman Brac has very similar diving and more topside stuff but it is still an out island. If you want good diving with more topside amenities, Grand is your place.

I spent a week in Aruba this spring and I'm not sure I would dive there (no dives planned during my trip). The winds and seas were non-stop and I watched an unrelenting stream of white-cap breaking on the barrier reef. All I could think of was that it would be a washing machine diving anywhere along the entire coast. Speaking with locals, they said it was typical conditions. YMMV.

Of the spots you've mentioned, the Caymans and Bonaire have the best diving IMO. The water temp will be warmer in Bonaire than the Caymans during the winter so that is something to consider.

When we go to the Caymans we try to stay for 2 weeks so we can enjoy the topside attractions of Grand Cayman (along with some snorkeling and a few dives) and then spend the second week on CB or LC diving (or on a live-aboard). I think that LC is the best diving in the Caribbean but I have never been to the Caymans during Jan or Feb so I can't comment on typical conditions. But Cayman Brac also has great diving and more natural beauty to enjoy topside than LC.

If you think you might travel to the Caribbean in the future but during hurricane season (May through Nov) then you might want to save Bonaire for that trip. Because Bonaire (along with Aruba and Curacao) are below the hurricane belt and less likely to experience tropical storms.

I don't know what it is like traveling from London but I live in the Midwest US and it is harder and more expensive to find flights to Bonaire than to the Caymans. But Bonaire is a special place, dedicated to diving, so I am sure that you will enjoy either location and I hope you get to both of them eventually. Remember that any place you go in the Caribbean during winter will be expensive because it is the peak season.

And I am envious of the Maldives! Good luck and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom