U-1105 (The Black Panther) Dive Charters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGypsy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm interested in booking a dive charter to visit the U-1107 submarine in Potomac River, approximately 1 mile west of Piney Point, MD. I have four committed divers with two more probable. We are looking to do this on Saturday, 15 August 2009 and will have our own equipment including filled tanks.

Can anyone provide me with an operator to take us out to the sub? Appreciate any information that can be provided.

Try calling Sea Dive, in Solomons, Maryland. I know they have arranged trips to the 1105 in the past.

If you set something up PM me, I might be able to fill a spot for you if needed.

Call Dallas Weston. He is now retired from the Dive Shop carrying his name but he can still be contacted through there. (I think?) He is now running charters on his boat (6-7 divers)

You will likely need to meet him on Virginia side though.

Dallas Weston Dive Center is located at 4515 W Hundred Rd Chester, VA. Phone: 804-796-3483

He also runs charters for Shark Teeth and other fossils and relic hunting

If I had seen this thread a month ago I would have been up for it. Sounds like an awesome dive. I am in the DC area.

Reviving this older thread...in need of current dive ops and info to this site.

Thanks

Tom Edwards is the only one that I know who runs people out to the 1105. I know that he is going August 2nd & 9th (I'm going the 2nd), but not sure if he has room or if he has other dates planned. PM me if you are interested and I will give you his email address.

I touched based with Tom a little earlier this summer to chat about this dive: here's what I know now.

---
Gregory,

Thanks for the kind words. I just like to make the dives safe and fun.

October is a good time to dive the U-boat. This October, I will be unavailable to organize trips because I will be diving in Chuuk. I will let you know if I schedule another date this year. Otherwise it will be next year.

As to Chesapeake diving, there are some spots that the locals know, and there are some very advanced dives. there is not really much in between. If you like cold water, Ocean City, Md or Virginia Beach, VA have some interesting dives.

Tom
---

Gregory,

I am glad that you are getting a pony bottle. I don't require a pony for the U-1105, but I certainly recommend it.

I normally dive with a 30 cuft mounted on my primary tank. The reason that I chose 30 was because, according to my calculations, I could get my buddy and I up (with safety stop) from 120 ft if we both had catastrophic failures on the main tank. You can select your own parameters and using your SAC or RMV rate calculate the size that is right for you.

As to dates when we might dive, I schedule trip the sub when the tides, currents, and moon are aligned the way that I like them. I have been diving the 1105 every year since 2002 and have seen all sorts of conditions.

The temperature is quite reasonable in September. Not so much in the Spring. See the chart below.
newreply.php
Attached is a flyer for trips to the sub.

Best regards,

Tom Edwards

----untitled.png - This is the temp chart he sent me.

I was hoping to make it on this dive this year with him, but it looks like since he won't be setting up the October dive this year due to other arrangements I'll have to make it next year.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind doing this again. The only time I dive it was off my own boat in the late 90's. Worst possible conditions, actually opposite of what you are supposed to do.. It was raining on a low tide when all the crap runs out of the rivers.. Lol we were on the boat with gear returning from another location and decided to hit it while on the way home. We had tempered vis, water was warm, current wasn't bad as it was on the ebb.. I would love to do it with no rain on a high tide ebb..have had friends actually have better them tempered vis on the wreck. It has great historical significance..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom