Raja Ampat: can we dive it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurillo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello folks,
my girlfriend is in love with manta rays, so we're considering the few known destinations, among which Raja Ampat.

We're both CMAS Open Water, her with 30+ dives, me about 60+. Having read about currents in the area, and the just warnings of some local resorts on the matter... can we dive at all this place?

We're aware that currents is where pelagics are found, but could you suggest calmer waters to dive with manta rays? Yap?

Cheers!

Manta bay in Nusa Penida off Bali.

It's a manta ray feeding station, since they are swimming on the surface it's one of the few places where even kids can snorkel with manta rays. The dive iste is located in a cove where there's practically no current, though there might be surge and it's up to the dive operation to evaluate and decide when it's flat enough for going.

Manta ray in the sky by Luko Gecko, on Flickr

Current wasn't that bad in Raja Ampat. At Manta Sandy/Spa, there's current but you're on the ground watching the mantas anyways. I went with only about 15 dives beforehand, hadn't gone in a long time and was fine. Hope that helps!

Mantas are truely beautiful. I have to agree with Wingy, Manta Point off a Nusa Penida, is a nice cleaning station. Similar to many sites in Bali, you might be constrained by the visibility or the swell conditions (e.g., just getting to the site). During the high season, there are way too many divers, but off season is quiet and tranquil. One one of my trips, an intern from the mantatrust.org accompanied us.

Raja Ampat is fantastc, but I would wait until you have a nit more experience. Depending on the lunar cycle and tides, dive sites that are mellow can be a bit more challenging. I have seen divers with about 50 dives have a great time, but other divers with similar experience struggle and slow down the group. Good dive masters and cruise directors can make diving much more safe and predictable, but in the end, your comfort level and experience is key.

Manta sandy diving spot in raja ampat would suit you. It is a slope with sand at the buttom around 20m maximum deepth. You have to stay outside the circle(they put stones and hardcoral) to keep divers away from the manta. But you can watch them play from outside the circle. Gentle current.Manta point in bali and taka makkasar or manta point in komodo has current and known for drift dive spot.

Just did Manta Point yesterday, with 15 dives, and it was wonderful. There is the notorious surge and some currents. Spotted four mantas, one was around 5m at least and a nurse shark. Can't speak for Raja Ampat but the flights required put me off it. Also did Crystal Bay (thermocline!) and Nusa Penida.

Hello all,
and thanks for the hints.

I see that people have different opinions on conditions at Raja Ampat, and - as expected - this largely depend on season and tide conditions.

As for Nusa Penida, mentioned by many, I have read that mantas there are strictly seasonal, and out of that time window, there's just no chance: what is then the right time of the year to try one's luck?

I think Nusa Penida is far more advanced diving then Raja. In Raja, as with anywhere in Indonesia, it depends on the dive operator you are using. If you are using a reputable op they will make sure that you are safe and currents are manageable. You know your skill level and comfort level better than anyone else so it is hard for others to make recommendations for you. Maybe consider hiring a private guide or doing a short land based dive trip somewhere like Tulamben or Lembeh on the front end of your trip just to get comfortable before you go to Raja.

Thank you divegirl,
you are right, nobody but us (or an instructor watching us) would be able to judge our skills. Indeed, my thread is more about sites than ourselves... I've just posted pretty much the same question, on a more generic form, in another forum, investigating a larger range of destinations.

Cheers"

Maurizio

Back
Top Bottom