How bad is it if an LDS calls you an “internet diver”?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rarely comment on customer satisfaction or service. That is because it is often due to unique circumstances and personal opinion. However, if the sequence of events is even close to what you posted I would be furious. Perhaps even to the point of smearing his name on every single social media outlet, and to every single diver I ever spoke to for the rest of my life and my grandchildren's lives. In fact if I had a time machine I would go back in time and smack his grandparents and then Forward in time and smack his grandchildren. But that's just me.

Last week I gave him items to match price, a regulator set, backup regulator and emphasized it be black not the yellow octo. He matched the price and ordered it last week for Wednesday delivery, he did not need my card info yet. Today after getting card #, he discouraged me from getting the black secondary, because it did not come with a hose, with the same price I could get the yellow octo with hose. Since I was configuring for DIR, I explained this is what I wanted. That's when he blew his top - “this is what I do for a living, you can't change the color,........this went on for a while. Then he hung up on me. I was caught off guard, texted him back to disregard the backup and just get main reg and one secondary. He then responds “be a internet diver! I don't want to get involved in this go your own way”. Whoaa what just happened, lest than 10 minutes from a pleasant call from him getting my card # to this!

Yikes.

I take back what I said about taking the high road. Rant away, this LDS deserves it.

Best wishes.

And name names.

This guy is pissed off that you're going to a Hog/DIR configuration. In other words, you're not going to be buying the weight-integrated poodle jackets and dive computers that his supplier / lord requires him to sell to maintain his dealer status and pricing breaks.

Where would you learn of such scuba blasphemy? Well, right here in the internet. Thus, in his eyes, you're "an internet diver."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My case may a bit different, I struck up a friendship with an instructor at my LDS first. Then got training there and got most of my initial purchase there as well. Out of respect for the friendship, I stuck with this LDS mostly. But now things have changed there under "new" management, and my friend along with all the long time employees got canned. As others have said " I won't burn the bridge" but I no longer feel any loyalty to this shop over any other or the internet. But it sounds like the one in your case seriously crossed the line. Just my two cents.

Last week I gave him items to match price, a regulator set, backup regulator and emphasized it be black not the yellow octo. He matched the price and ordered it last week for Wednesday delivery, he did not need my card info yet. Today after getting card #, he discouraged me from getting the black secondary, because it did not come with a hose, with the same price I could get the yellow octo with hose. Since I was configuring for DIR, I explained this is what I wanted. That's when he blew his top - “this is what I do for a living, you can't change the color,........this went on for a while. Then he hung up on me. I was caught off guard, texted him back to disregard the backup and just get main reg and one secondary. He then responds “be a internet diver! I don't want to get involved in this go your own way”. Whoaa what just happened, lest than 10 minutes from a pleasant call from him getting my card # to this!

Hieratic! Ye of no common sense! How dare you order an octo in black!

Yep time to flame this guy. You try to give him business and he gets all crazy. Yes you are an Internet diver - Scubaboard

:)

My wife went into the LDS to buy me something for my birthday last week, so she asked the what she could get me. She was told I didn't dive like most people that come in, and she should just buy me an air card. It's nice to be known, and some shops don't get belligerent with folks they can't help.

That's why I buy what I can from them and don't knock them 'cause they don't carry gear that I, and a few other divers, buy.

Bob
-----------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

This is not uncommon. I was welcomed warmly by my LDS until I wanted to put spring straps on my fins. Then I got accused of having fallen in with those "DIR folks" (which at that time, I hadn't -- but as a result of the comments, I went home and looked it up and kind of liked what I saw.). When I ordered my long hose, I became persona non grata at the shop, even though I was buying the danged hose FROM them!

If you have a lot of local options, you may want to find another shop that's more sympathetic to what you want to do. If you don't have options, let it run off your back and only buy the things you have to at your LDS. I can guarantee you that Dive Right in Scuba isn't going to care one whit about what color hose you want on your regulator, so long as you buy it from them!

Being an Internet Diver? This is one certification level that really has a lot to do with the Agency...

Did he mean "internet diver" or "internet shopper"? They can be the same person, of course ... but the former is someone (like me) who frequents scuba forums regularly, while the latter (also like me) sometimes purchases their scuba equipment from a website.

I don't see how either can be rightly interpreted as insulting ... although it's usually meant in a derogatory way.

People say all sorts of silly things intending them to be insulting. Had a guy tell me once right here on ScubaBoard that I needed to log off and go diving more often. Seemed like a good idea ... so I logged off and went diving ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: MMM
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom