Aqualung Legend vs Legend LX vs Legend LX Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Worrying about how a regulator is going to breath on air much past 130' is probably just a theoretical exercise anyway, since you're not likely to be doing dives to those depths on air. The reduced density of trimix will be much more significant than minor mechanical differences between regulators.

Well, I will not start the deep air diving discussion here and now.............

Just do yourself a favor and avoid the APEKS ATX 2nds, you might be okay with them,but chances are you might be not.

How many accidents are you aware of caused by barrel twist in an ATX or TX (been out longer) second stage? Apeks regulators have been used in some of the most challenging diving conditions without any problems. If these regulators are so dangerous then they would have been recalled either by the EU or the US.

The Legend may possibly breath better but the Apeks set certainly delivers better value.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2014 at 07:57 AM ----------

Well, I will not start the deep air diving discussion here and now.............

I am sure the mods are thankful.

How many accidents are you aware of caused by barrel twist in an ATX or TX (been out longer) second stage? Apeks regulators have been used in some of the most challenging diving conditions without any problems. If these regulators are so dangerous then they would have been recalled either by the EU or the US.

The Legend may possibly breath better but the Apeks set certainly delivers better value.

See, you are the only one around connecting APEKS with the term dangerous.

What for?

See, you are the only one around connecting APEKS with the term dangerous.

What for?

Then please explain what you mean by this, "Just do yourself a favor and avoid the APEKS ATX 2nds, you might be okay with them,but chances are you might be not." You seem to be alluding that they are dangerous.

I have been considering Aqualung Legend as well, but I eventually decided that as a tech diver, I should have the ability to service my own regulators, and from what I hear, this is much easier with Apeks. Hardly anyone seems to think that there is any difference in breathing between the Legend and most regulators in the Apeks line, and I did not experience any difficulties in breathing even with my cheap Titan LX Supreme, anyway, at least down to 140 feet (on Nitrox), even though I tend to breathe heavily and use a lot of air. As someone already pointed out, before the difference gets the chance to become noticeable, you will probably be switching to a less dense gas.

Then please explain what you mean by this, "Just do yourself a favor and avoid the APEKS ATX 2nds, you might be okay with them,but chances are you might be not." You seem to be alluding that they are dangerous.
Yes,especially when writing ' you might be okay with them' it's a clear euphemism which means 'it might kill you'
05.gif

With not a lot of fantasy I could imagine that one or two in this forum might lean towards the interpretation ' you might be disappointed' instead of ' that's dangerous stuff, don't touch it' , especially when they have read other posts from me concerning this issue ( Who knows Apeks stuff?).

Man, get a grip on yourself, I don't see what you can win by continuing this discussion by pretending to understand me like that ...

You understand me very well, you simply don't like my opinion.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2014 at 12:14 AM ----------

I have been considering Aqualung Legend as well, but I eventually decided that as a tech diver, I should have the ability to service my own regulators, and from what I hear, this is much easier with Apeks. Hardly anyone seems to think that there is any difference in breathing between the Legend and most regulators in the Apeks line, and I did not experience any difficulties in breathing even with my cheap Titan LX Supreme, anyway, at least down to 140 feet (on Nitrox), even though I tend to breathe heavily and use a lot of air. As someone already pointed out, before the difference gets the chance to become noticeable, you will probably be switching to a less dense gas.

If really someone told you Apeks regulators are ' much easier ' to service than Aqualung Lengends, he has no clue.

Practically it doesn't make hardly any difference, only the service kits of APEKS are quite more expensive than the Legend ones and the components of the Legend are of better quality as I see it ( but okay,you have to pay more for it).

If really someone told you Apeks regulators are ' much easier ' to service than Aqualung Lengends, he has no clue. Practically it doesn't make hardly any difference, only the service kits of APEKS are quite more expensive than the Legend ones and the components of the Legend are of better quality as I see it ( but okay,you have to pay more for it).

I am sorry if I was imprecise, I was referring to the entire end-to-end process that includes obtaining the service kits, and from the perspective of someone who is not connected in the scuba industry, and has no special access channels. I heard that service kits for Apeks are much easier to source. I have no idea if that is true, I really hope not, for I would really love to be able to service my trusty old Titan LX Supremes completely on my own. I would be grateful if you could nudge me in the right direction...

Last edited:
I am sorry if I was imprecise, I was referring to the entire end-to-end process that includes obtaining the service kits, and from the perspective of someone who is not connected in the scuba industry, and has no special access channels. I heard that service kits for Apeks are much easier to source. I have no idea if that is true, I really hope not, for I would really love to be able to service my trusty old Titan LX Supremes completely on my own. I would be grateful if you could nudge me in the right direction...

It should actually not be too difficult to service your old TITAN LX SUPREME, if you have some basic knowledge concerning servicing regulators.

Since the Legend 2nds and the Titan 2nds are almost identical, you could check also for a Legend service kit.

Usually there are no o-rings which have to be changed absolutely if they still look okay after cleaning and lubricating. If you have a selection of generic o-rings from 003 - 022 you should be fine. You would have to check the small o-ring at the shuttle valve by sticking the end of the shuttle valve together with the o-ring (lubricated) into the counterbalance chamber (without spring). Then close the hole in the LP seat with your thumb or a finger and press the shuttle valve down into the balance chamber. If the o-ring is still okay, you should feel a resistance and the shuttle should return back up, because the air cushion in the chamber will be compressed, pushing back the shuttle in its original position.

So the issue would be probable to get a low pressure seat.

If you don't find a service kit, you could check for Scubapro LP seats for the G or S series, they are using the same seats ( or at least they show no difference in performance), or you get yourself one of the Trident seats (A148).

They work on the Aqualungs, but not so good on the APEKS 2nds.

Concerning the first stage most important is that you find a HP seat (105940). Those seats are also used in the Legend series and others. If you have access to Mares parts, they are using the same seats in their MR12 series for example.The seats offered byTrident are substandard to my opinion, I cannot recommend them.

Last problem might be to find a new filter, but they are the same like in the Legends and they are also used in some TUSA 1sts.

I would not hesitate to reuse them after cleaning if they don't look too bad.

If you need the Service manuals, pm me, I guess I can get them for you.

Good luck.....:)

I asked what he uses and he said he uses the legend with DIN and has never had issues with those on his double setup down to 190ft. he says beyond that he has a whole other setup. I came on here to hust get some other feedback...not be bashed for sounding like a newbie

So what are these mythical regs he uses past 190'? Are they so good they are not suitable for depths shallower than 190'? I'm sorry but I'm calling calling BS.

I would recommend the GUE book "Doing it Right". It could help you decide on equipment purchases and some other things.

Good advice.

I believe arguing about which reg is "best" is a little ridiculous. Let's take SP's entry level first stage for instance. The MK2+ or what ever they are calling it these days is rated to deliver around 90CFM. SP rates there MK25 at something like 250 CFM which they claim is way better than the MK17 at 175 CFM. So the question is which one is better? As far as air delivery they are all the same. Yes, as ridiculous as this may sound it is true. How can it be true you ask? Well here is the catch, you ready for it? The tank valves probably 99% of us are using are of the same design and rated to deliver 50 CFM at 3000 PSI. So with that said what does the MK25 get you over the MK2? Better hose routing for doubles and better cold water performance are the only two things I can think of. Now you can pack the ambient chamber of the MK2 with silicone or other approved lube and have the same or better cold water performance as the MK25 for about a quarter of the cost. As far as second stages go I would suggest a middle of the road reg with venturi and inhalation adjustment. I doubt most people could tell the difference between two properly adjusted regs as it takes sophisticated breathing simulators to tell these differences. If I was to do this all over again I would start with a simple non sealed unbalanced second stage with a balanced adjustable second stage. This reg will work great for now and it will make a great deco reg in the future if you feel you need "better" regs for you back gas. Or you could do like your instructor and purchase a set for depths to 130' a second set good to 190' and the third mythical set that works for dives only past 190'. This latest method works great for the dive shop owner as he gets to sell you three sets of gear instead of just one that you can use for all your diving. There are no substandard or dangerous regs out there, if a salesmen tries to tell you there are he is full of BS. If there were any dangerous regs on the market they would have been recalled and or lawsuits would have brought against the manufacturers. Dive regs are very simple devices and have changed very little in the last 30 years, marketing departments have had more to do with these changes than actual R&D. Just some things to think about from someone who has been through this before, it's just my two cents and may very well not be worth that in the end:idk:.

I just got the Legend LX and love it!! BUT from what I learned you should probably consider the Legend LX Supreme which is rated for colder water while the Legend LX is only rated to 50 degrees F. Just something to keep in mind since you said you dive cold lakes that sometimes get below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom