What's the best place for beginner Macro? - Anywhere in the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The gap between a gopro and a DSLR in water is pretty steep. I would first practice in a pool nearby to make sure I can get the shots in focus after that go on a real trip somewhere local before attempting a big trip.
It is surprising how many people turn up on a dive site and they have never tested their rig properly in water, so they get very few decent shot and get really frustated
You don't want to be one of them
In terms of location Lembeh is spot on there is no other better place

I vote for Bonaire Captain Dons, Sand Dollar, any one with a good house reef. Why?
Macro Beginner.
You can dive the house reef 5 times a day or more if your computer will allow it.
Almost no current, no swell, hard bottom at 60 ft, very safe reef to dive on.
Macro diving you can see something new in 10 sq feet of reef on every dive so you will never run out of subjects on the house reef.
Take a macro course then hire a dive master to spot for you.
You don't say if you have a buddy if not hire a dedicated divemaster by the day, you don't have the training and enough experience with the camera to dive solo.
Do a few boat dives on Kleine Bonaire, hire a truck for a couple of days and do some of the other dive sites.
With macro you really don't need a new site what you need to do is find all the critters on the dive site you are diving. You will be amazed just how much life there is down there.
Then you have NIGHT diving, a whole new reef to investigate.

Bonaire is perfect for you as you have unlimited diving on your door step in as near calm and benign conditions as you are likely to find anywhere.

Anywhere in Biscayne Bay that you can get in the water near rocks with no current and away from boat traffic should do.

I would recommend starting out at the blue heron bridge. Reef photo and video in Fort Lauderdale runs macro workshops there that are well worth taking.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I only recently started noticing BHB appear a lot on WetPixel photos.

I was not aware that Reef Photo & Video does multi-day workshops. I'm sure that will be a great place to start!

And yes, I am looking for the "Ultimate" macro destination for a first trip after getting relatively comfortable with the new rig.

Lembeh is hard, if not impossible, to beat for shooting macro. That said, you may find surge all the way down to 90fsw in some places, and the viz isn't stellar - it's called muck diving for a reason.

I have an album on Flikr (link in my sig) from Lembeh earlier this year if you're interested. All shot with a Nikon D7000 & either my 105 or 60 micro (macro) lenses.

Nice change of mind there giffenk! BHB is a fabulous macro spot for any level. Take your own advice and dive it! If I lived in FL, I'd be there every week without a doubt. Critters change there periodically and there are a few residents ... like the red lip bat fish. You have to plan for high tide and getting there on a weekend is nearly impossible with the crowds so plan ahead.

Lembeh is definitely worth the time/travel/$. I'm heading back for a third time. You can also add in Tulamben for a longer trip as 14 days in Lembeh would be amazing but might be to much. I think most shops in Tulamben give you your own private guide I've used Liberty twice and is a great shop/resort.

Lembeh, Lembeh, and Lembeh oh did I mention Lembeh??
Really hard to beat. Been three times and would go back tomorrow in a heart beat.

The other spots to consider:
- Tulamben in Bali
- Ambon
- Anilao, Phillipines

Before you spend thousands of $$ going around the world (unless you have money to burn), it's worth getting some professional instruction on UW photo. Reef in Ft. Lauderdale is a good place to start plus BHB or Key Largo are right in your neck of the woods. Also get Martin Edge's book, The Underwater Photographer, 4th Edition (or maybe it's in the 5th by now). Many consider this the bible for UW photogs. Then get into the pool and practice shooting small stuff. Learn where all of your housing controls are by feel and memory.

If you want to do Lembeh, consider NAD Lembeh and Lembeh Resort on the island. KBR isn't what it used to be IMHO. Also consider a liveaboard. You'll get more diving done, typically at least 4 a day. Look at Deb Fugitt, City Seahorse for great trips to Raja Ampat that are totally photo focused. (pun intended).

Good luck. Great hobby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom