Article: A Guide to Using the GoPro Hero3 / Hero3+ Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great article! I see GoPro settings questions on the forums all of the time. From now on, I'm just redirecting them to this article.

Thanks so much for the nice words, ChickenFried!
Please let us know if you have any additional questions about shooting the GoPro underwater.
Joel

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:07 AM ----------

Great stuff,thnx

You're very welcome, Deeper Thoughts.
Please let us know if you have any further questions about GoPro shooting settings, etc.

Cheers,
Joel

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:13 AM ----------

What do you recommend for a tripod that works on various surfaces underwater?

ShootingUnderwater,

We currently use and recommend the Joby Gorillapod SLR Tripod for underwater use with the GoPro when shooting Macro Video.
Joby Gorillapod SLR

It holds up well to salt water/continuous use, and is easy to adjust the GoPro when used with our MacroMate Mini Macro Lens.
We like to mount our Double Handle Tray on top of the Gorillapod.

The cool thing about the Gorillapod, is that the legs are extremely easy to adjust underwater, allowing you to get the GoPro nice and level for each shot.

Please let us know if we can answer any more questions.

Thanks!
Joel

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:22 AM ----------

Thanks for the article. I'm not sure I understand the use of lights and filters together - could you please explain when it's appropriate to use them together, and when it's not? Thanks again.

MarkOfInsanity,

It's best to use filters and lights when you're deeper than 10 feet. Shallower than that... just flip the Flip3.1 filter out of the way and shoot with the GoPro camera by itself.

Otherwise, I always prefer to use Lights along with the Backscatter Flip3.1 Color Correction System.

Here's a basic explanation:

1) Red Filters help bring back the additional Red Channel to the GoPro.
2) Lights Help the GoPro comprehend what is true White (for a good and proper white balance).

When used together, I've found that the GoPro can get excellent reproducible color while shooting underwater.

Depending on the depth you're at, I'll choose a different Flip3.1 filter. (SHALLOW [10-20], DIVE [20-50], or DEEP [50+ to 100])

This is the best way that I've been able to get amazing color underwater with my GoPro cameras.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!

Joel

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:36 AM ----------

If you don't have the filters, you can achieve much of the same color correction by using Photoshop. I've saved many otherwise blue/green photos over the years through aggressive color correction. Of course, having plenty of light helps a lot, too.

LarryLifelines,

Unfortunately, this isn't true. I've tried this in the past with the Hero1. I tried and tried to get rid of the Cyan, and introduce back the warm coral, while leaving the blue water nice and rich with Photoshop, Lightroom, or with video clips, using Final Cut Pro or Premiere Pro. Simply put, without a filter/lights the GoPro has a mind of it's own.

For Video: The GoPro records video into a video codec that cannot be color corrected in Photoshop without heavily degrading the quality of the final output. Yes, you can "correct it", but you'll introduce heaving banding, artifacting, and noise.
For Photo: The GoPro records photos in JPEG mode. This is also a lossy compressed format. You can fix is in Photoshop, but the good color data isn't there, and you're simply trying to "Push" data into the file that's missing.

Essentially, at the time of capture, the data is "burned" into the digital file, leaving you with a really rough starting point to color correct/fix the image.

We've found that starting with the best possible color "IN CAMERA", leads to the best possible GoPro videos and/or photos later.

If needed at this point, you can fine tune the color in post, but your video or photo is probably already 90% of the way there to perfect underwater color.

Please let us know if you have any more questions about this.

Cheers!
Joel

The headmount has the additional problem of bubbles in front of the lens UNLESS you use the extension arm. then the bubbles come up between the camera and your forehead. I haven't got an answer for the headaches.

I am switching to a wand for other reasons. I had an opportunity to get some great shots of a major large moray, but didn't want to get my head that close to his mouth, nor my hand for that matter. With no telephoto I was out of luck. I will mount the GoPro on a telescoping wand ($7 + free delivery from ebay) and have the wand clipped to my forearm with elastic straps for now. It will be just like a wrist mount except I can quickly release the wand and stretch it out.

Will I get some jiggle? Probably.

If you stay with the headmount, some people prefer to put it on before their mask, some people after. Give both a try. Loosen the headmount straps a bit, and then put the mask on after -- that might feel secure without the pressure.

I have a couple of questions. 1) What is the best way to mount a GoPro Hero 2 for handsfree diving? I used the head mount and the plate pushing against the back of my head gives me a huge headache. 2) What video editing software do you recommend.

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom