DAN Equipment insurance and residency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think DAN USA would still be my first choice if I go with the standard membership just because it's half the cost, but this is excellent to know that I can join DAN Asia as a non-Japanese living in Japan. Think I'm leaning toward DiveAssure however for my accident insurance since they are primary and seem to handle medical claims quite well from what I've read on here.

Don't count on it. I got an email from the CEO of DAN Asia Pacific essentially telling me that I (a Dutch national living in Japan) can not join them, with some vague statements that I should join the DAN where I live (Japan) or maybe the European one. This was back in February. I have sent a few very kind emails so far trying to get more clarification, as their website (as quoted higher up in the thread) explicitly states it should be possible to join - but these have been ignored so far.

Just to be sure, the website states:
Are you a non-National of the Asia-Pacific?

DAN Asia-Pacific membership (including TravelAssist) is available to anyone living in this region for more than 3 months.
The additional dive injury insurance plans are available to all Nationals of this region (except Japanese Nationals while living in Japan). They are also available to Nationals of countries from outside the Asia-Pacific who are living in this region for more than three months. In the event of an insurance claim, non-Nationals of this region will need to provide evidence of long-term residency.

Don't count on it. I got an email from the CEO of DAN Asia Pacific essentially telling me that I (a Dutch national living in Japan) can not join them, with some vague statements that I should join the DAN where I live (Japan) or maybe the European one. This was back in February. I have sent a few very kind emails so far trying to get more clarification, as their website (as quoted higher up in the thread) explicitly states it should be possible to join - but these have been ignored so far.

Just to be sure, the website states:

I'd be more than happy to share with him the very "no gaijin members" email I got from DAN Japan, if you have his email feel free to PM to me. That second quote you posted sure sounds like we should be able to join DAN Asia just so we can show long term residence. No problem in my case as I'm PR here.

Yup, I was a member of DAN Asia so no problem! It states in the policy you quoted... Some feedback from people:

<quote>
PADI Japan has a per dive insurance plan:
PADIƒ_ƒCƒo[ƒY•ÛŒ¯

Here's an annual plan
?????????????????????????????????????????? (Japanese)
</quote>

Unfortunately only Japanese websites at first glance but maybe use to you anyway.

Another person mentioned DAN international (yes, another "entity") does provide equipment insurance. So maybe delve into that?

I've seen that toy-hoken.co.jp site. I did email them also, they are more welcoming than DAN Japan but claim they don't have any agents who can sell in English and said to have a Japanese person explain the policy. Equipment protection wise it actually looks quite similar to the USA version that H2O sells through DAN, just if I ever need to make a claim could be a headache depending on who I may or may not have around to assist.

Essentially as a non-Japanese/European national living in Japan you have two options for DAN coverage

You can join with DAN World (www.danworld.ky/) - which is the DAN entity which covers all the people who cannot conveniently fit under the rules of any of the other DAN entities.

Alternatively as a European National you should also be able to join DAN Europe (www.daneurope.org).

All the DAN Offices are independent but fall under the rules of IDAN (International DAN) and these rules say that DAN Asia-Pacific cannot provide cover for people who are not Asia-Pacific nationals who are living in Japan.

All the DAN Offices are independent but fall under the rules of IDAN (International DAN) and these rules say that DAN Asia-Pacific cannot provide cover for people who are not Asia-Pacific nationals who are living in Japan.
Wait? So according to this statement, neither DAN (Asia or Japan) can/will cover non-Asian foreigners in Japan?

If you have a residence in Japan and you are not a Japanese National, they will cover you as stated in their policy quoted above.
I'm European living in Tokyo and was covered by DAN Asia before. I switched to DAN EU because I didn't know they covered regions outside EU (for EU citizens) and simply have better conditions. (Note: I don't have equipment insurance, just emergency)

Wait? So according to this statement, neither DAN (Asia or Japan) can/will cover non-Asian foreigners in Japan?

Correct. They are saying the statement on their website is in error and that they'll fix it.

I am not familiar with the IDAN rules - but it is a damn shame they are not able to support us against the background of the unbelievable lack of support by DAN Japan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom