Mini-Season is Far More Dangerous than Shark Feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest the best method to remove things from the garbage disposal is to buy a new one.

This solves the pesky how to clean it problem, while stimulating the economy.

I mean, after you buy 2 or 3 you may just say screw it and risk the switch magically turning on and grinding your hand into handburger.

But why risk it, its only money.

Wading into this debate with wide-eyed naivete, so please be gentle. Genuine query: What makes mini lobster season dangerous? I ask, not to question statistics, or compare to baited shark dives, which interest me not at all, but because if the calendar ever works, I'd like to lobster hunt. I like lobsters, sorry - but not really. I have read that mini season is dangerous, but I've never read what is killing people. Are people ignoring their gauges and running out of air? Ignoring decompression limits? Venturing into overhead environments without proper training? Is there even a common theme in the injuries and fatalities? Again, I am NOT playing devil's advocate, I just don't understand the dynamics behind the danger of mini-season.

BLUF - During miniseason there is a higher concentration of divers in the water that alone increases the risks. Add to it the inexperience and macho factors and you have a deadly combination.

Long version - What makes mini season so dangerous, in my eyes, is the fact that it is played up as something so special.

It is a chance to go out and catch 4 days worth of lobsters in 2 days. (Normal limit is 6/day. mini season is 12/day)

I see it as an event that draws the majority of divers who dive little throughout the year and only go out during mini season. As well as the hyper competitive willing to stop at nothing and endangering themselves and others while doing it folks.

The limit pushers, the I can do this, I saw some on TV guys.

Granted there are MANY divers who go out and are safe, smart, competent divers. It is never the good stories you hear though.

Much like during the holidays there are plenty of boating accidents.

It is the combinations of inexperience, ego and incompetence that makes it so dangerous to so many.

I would suggest the best method to remove things from the garbage disposal is to buy a new one.

Sheesh.... really? are the safety limits have gone this far? While my kids were little I got very good at using chopsticks to remove objects, but somethings are not suitable for chopstick. Now with just adults in the house things don't just "appear" in the disposal.
Would be nice not to clean stuff, just replace, I think I like the concept.

I mean, after you buy 2 or 3 you may just say screw it and risk the switch magically turning on and grinding your hand into handburger.

But why risk it, its only money.

Sheesh.... really? are the safety limits have gone this far? While my kids were little I got very good at using chopsticks to remove objects, but somethings are not suitable for chopstick. Now with just adults in the house things don't just "appear" in the disposal.
Would be nice not to clean stuff, just replace, I think I like the concept.

Come on, haven't either one of you thought about unplugging the damn thing before reaching in?

Reactions: Ana
Wading into this debate with wide-eyed naivete, so please be gentle. Genuine query: What makes mini lobster season dangerous? I ask, not to question statistics, or compare to baited shark dives, which interest me not at all, but because if the calendar ever works, I'd like to lobster hunt. I like lobsters, sorry - but not really. I have read that mini season is dangerous, but I've never read what is killing people. Are people ignoring their gauges and running out of air? Ignoring decompression limits? Venturing into overhead environments without proper training? Is there even a common theme in the injuries and fatalities? Again, I am NOT playing devil's advocate, I just don't understand the dynamics behind the danger of mini-season.

I don't think lobster mini-season is inherently dangerous... it just happens to bring several elements together that individually don't make much of a difference, but all together is too much for some.

-Picture a guy that either learned to dive some time ago or just considers himself very very good in the water and since he's gone hunting one or twice grabbing a lobster can't be such a big deal.

- Plenty of talk of the mini season. From coworkers, neighbors, friends. Some divers, other divers wanna be, and mostly from people just big dealing things... "Last year me and so and so got our limit in 21 minutes at midnight of the first day"

- Soon enough the media is talking about it, there are extra signs in dive shops, and there's something contagious about it.

-The actual nature of harvesting a lobster. It isn't exactly black and white like shooting a grouper, in the sense that you load the spear-gun, shoot and is either a hit or a miss. If it is a miss most likely the grouper is far away and your chance is gone.
With a lobster if you don't get it on the first try, you may try again, and again, and again.... the darn thing is just there looking at you. You see other people just walking them out of the holes so easily, what is wrong with this bug than is digging itself in the stupid hole, if you try again. Meanwhile the time is passing by, and the air is being consumed.

-Then the day actually arrives and the person and friends are in a boat loaded with big deal "bug-hunters" and the game is on. Some egos can't handle it well, fortunately only a small portion of those egos go totally stupid.

If anything, mini-season is evidence of how difficult it is to get hurt diving. considering the amount of non-divers and non-boaters going out during those 48 hours, it is a miracle there's years that nothing goes wrong.

mini-season is not inherently dangerous. what is dangerous is LOTS of inexperienced or rusty divers combined with inexperienced boaters. My friends view mini-season as a national holiday. We dive our plans and plan our dives. We get out on the water, blow bubbles and have fun. With luck, dinner with a lobster theme ends each day. This year.....no such luck and dinner out was the consolation prize. There is no point is pushing limits as season opens this coming week....there are plenty of bugs out there. Yes there are divers out there who are inherently dangerous. But they are out there all year long and that is why the sport sees incidents and accidents. It just is more concentrated on the 2 days of mini-season.

Come on, haven't either one of you thought about unplugging the damn thing before reaching in?

That was on page 73 of the advanced disposal manual... we only got to page 27... :babycrawl:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom