J valve rebuild

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shortdivemedic

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Guys and Gals

For my next project I need to rebuild a J valve ,I have a nice looking VOIT and am looking for any schematics or pictures and vidoes. I have looked in all my normal resource places such as VDH and have did some online sources with no luck so far. I appreciate all your assistance and information .

Cheers
Michael

It will very difficult to find parts for the reserve section of the valve. The compound used on the poppet becomes brittle with age. I had some originals in the factory package, and installed them in a valve. They disintegrated and failed shortly after being used.

The other side of the valve (handle side) can be rebuilt using modern Thermo brand parts. This includes the stem, seat, and copper crush gasket. I have rebuilt several "K" valves in that manner.

I had a friend create some reserve poppet seals for some of my "J" valves. It was labor intensive, and he will not produce them on a regular basis.

Greg Barlow

I just completed a USD J. Seems to be working fine. I have a couple extras I'd be willing to part with one cheap if your interseted. Most of the parts I needed and service guides are available at VDH.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom