Fatality Cabo San Lucas March 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update June 11th 2012.
After a PADI investigation Sunshine Dive & Charter of Cabo San Lucas has been suspended from PADI.
It would be great to know the details for their findings, but I don't guess they want to risk liabilities.

Update June 11th 2012.
After a PADI investigation Sunshine Dive & Charter of Cabo San Lucas has been suspended from PADI.

That's funny, there were a couple of users earlier in the thread that swore up and down that the shop didn't fill the tanks, and wasn't involved in any way. Those accounts haven't had any activity since the end of march. Funny how that always seems to be the case.

Update June 11th 2012.

this has been beyond a joke for sunshine. twice they proved they didn't fill the tanks to the authorities, PADI sent a investigator to find out what happened, he left 110% satisfied that sunshine dive and charter had NOTHING to do with this accident. his official report reflected this.
then someone last week came up to padi and said they have "inside" knowledge of the tanks having bad air and that sunshine filled them. my god, unless they specifically saw those tanks getting filled on what ever night it "apparently" happened, and somehow have photos, then what case is there, sunshine has been found guilty and has to prove innocence... again..., and now some local operators are taking the opportunity to try and make it as hard as possible for sunshine to run their legitimate, 100% perfect safety record, business, all because they don't have the marketing skills or brain power to do it competitively and properly.
PADI had to act accordingly to the "inside information" and follow protocol and put the sunshine shop on administrative hold. not suspended. but they have had no luck in locating the person who had this "information", the person doesn't answer the phone, or email.
so think what you think, but a good shop has had its stellar name ruined over a irresponsible action and loud mouth from a rogue instructor....

p.s... the diving is getting good here in cabo now!

also, on tripadvisor a "john l" wrote a negative review and had to make a up fake story it was actually funny how low some people go just to try and get business and ruin another, anyway, tripadvisor saw the total BS about this and took it down. it just goes to show that some people can't handle the truth and the fact that a good shop might actually be good! what a joke! yet more proof that Sunshine is being attacked just because they are good at what they do!

Last edited:
this has been beyond a joke for sunshine. twice they proved they didn't fill the tanks to the authorities, PADI sent a investigator to find out what happened, he left 110% satisfied that sunshine dive and charter had NOTHING to do with this accident. his official report reflected this.
then someone last week came up to padi and said they have "inside" knowledge of the tanks having bad air and that sunshine filled them. my god, unless they specifically saw those tanks getting filled on what ever night it "apparently" happened, and somehow have photos, then what case is there, sunshine has been found guilty and has to prove innocence... again..., and now some local operators are taking the opportunity to try and make it as hard as possible for sunshine to run their legitimate, 100% perfect safety record, business, all because they don't have the marketing skills or brain power to do it competitively and properly.
PADI had to act accordingly to the "inside information" and follow protocol and put the sunshine shop on administrative hold. not suspended. but they have had no luck in locating the person who had this "information", the person doesn't answer the phone, or email.
so think what you think, but a good shop has had its stellar name ruined over a irresponsible action and loud mouth from a rogue instructor....

p.s... the diving is getting good here in cabo now!

also, on tripadvisor a "john l" wrote a negative review and had to make a up fake story it was actually funny how low some people go just to try and get business and ruin another, anyway, tripadvisor saw the total BS about this and took it down. it just goes to show that some people can't handle the truth and the fact that a good shop might actually be good! what a joke! yet more proof that Sunshine is being attacked just because they are good at what they do!

Frankly, I've grown tired of this ordeal as well. My wife and I have had the opportunity to dive with Sunshine in the past and we will do so again in November. They are the most thorough, organized, and detail oriented operation I've ever experienced. They are extremely concerned about diver safety and I have NEVER been concerned for myself or my wife while diving under their care. I've certainly felt that way about other dive ops, but not with them. In fact, it wasn't until we dove with Sunshine that we'd realized how dangerous other dive operators were that we'd gone with in the past.

I realize someone lost a loved one. But to throw what I would consider the best dive op in Cabo under the bus makes absolutely no sense to me. Also, I don't think its unreasonable for PADI to at least provide some information to the general public as to how they came up with this verdict.

Again, we look forward to seeing the Sunshine crew in November!

Sunshine may well be a great Op with a clean compressor and totally innocent here, but still - all they had to do to avoid being accused was run Clear or other CO monitors with auto cutoff on their compressors, and that has been suggested industry wide for years. The cost is pennies per tank, but most Ops still try to avoid it and rationalize.

The fail-safe is still needed tho: testing the tanks just before use, whether the dive Op supplies an analyzer or you have to take your own, even if you think the tanks were filled with a CO monitor in place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom