Seizures and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing what you've disclosed here, I wouldn't want to be your partner in an activity where you're part of my safety calculation: you wouldn't be handling my belay during a lead climb, and I wouldn't make you part of my gas planning for a serious dive.

That said, it sounds like you're about as likely to have a seizure as a random buddy is to die while diving from any one of a thousand undiagnosed and inopportunely timed medical conditions. If you want to dive, I'd consider solo training and/or diving in situations where your buddy isn't relying on you for safety even if you're relying on them.

I had A seizure. I do not have epilepsy.

You already said that. You also said you have a confirmed tumor that may have caused A seizure and that could do so again, and you haven't mentioned any chance that you could have it removed. Even if the odds are very low, I think it's safe to say you're objectively more likely to seize while diving than the average joe.

Whether you think your likely low risk of a seizure while diving times the near 100% chance of death by drowning should that occur is outweighed by the joy you get from diving is your business, and yours alone. I don't think anyone should tell you it's too unsafe for you to dive at all, or to do whatever dive you feel like...only you can decide what's safe enough for you.

But it stops being your business when someone else is relying on you being of at least average risk as part of their risk calculation. I imagine that plenty of divers would be happy to be your buddy even knowing what there is to know about your seizure--but they have a right to know it ahead of time and make up their own minds/take precautions as they see fit.

Harsh though it may seem, I am in accord with Dr. Lecter's opinion. You had a seizure and your work up showed a plausible cause for it. This explains why you are on meds, and I agree with the guys at Duke -- a prolonged period on meds without a recurrence would be required for me even to consider discussing you as safe to dive. Again, it isn't just you -- it's the person who tries to rescue you if you seize who needs to be considered.

Sometimes life sucks, and this is one of those times.

Last edited:
Why didn't you give the info about the tumor in the OP? Amazing why this info comes after so many question's ...

Thanks for all the input. As much as I hate it, I think answer is clear. No more diving, at least for quite some time. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the input. As much as I hate it, I think answer is clear. No more diving, at least for quite some time. Thanks again.

This sounds like the right idea. It makes me sad as I'm sure it makes you sad as well. You're doing the correct thing.

If a diver has had a seizure and then been cleared to dive, would a full face mask be a good idea for that diver?

Same thing happened to my son. Thumbnail grade 1 tumor non cancerous and he was having seizures bc of it they took it out in june and he's been seizure free for technically 10months post op and off of antiseizure meds for the last 5 1/2months STILL seizure free. I am wondering the same thing as mike... if my son can drive etc then can he dive? & if so obviously a diving buddy at all times but is there a restiction on depth allowed to dive? Bc my sons neurosurgeon was concerned with pressure changes within the brain... this is all new to me so if ANYONE has any info or can point us in any direction it would be greatly appreciated! (Sry to highjack your post)

It’s largely about what risks are reasonable for your son to undertake. If another physician were to clear him, then he could undertake training. But how will you and he know whether another tumor is developing? How will you know whether the changes in gas partial pressures underwater won’t trigger a seizure? How would you and his buddy feel if the worst happens?

The WRSTC considers a history of seizures a Severe Risk Condition
http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/10 - Medical Guidelines.pdf

For balance:
Although he was primarily talking about epilepsy, a few years ago Dr. David Sawatzky wrote this: Epilepsy/Seizures and Diving | DIVER magazine
My personal position is that a person who has been seizure free and off all medication for more than two years is a reasonable risk for recreational diving even though their risk of having another seizure will be slightly increased for up to five years. They should not dive nitrox, nor should they dive deeper than 100 fsw (30 msw) until five years have passed. A mature person who has been seizure free for at least two years and who is experiencing no side effects from their medications is a reasonable risk to dive recreationally to a maximum depth of 50 fsw (15 msw). They should only dive in warm, clear water and also should not dive nitrox.

If your son really wants to pursue recreational scuba he might first try to find a scuba-knowledgeable physician. If that physician clears him, then it makes sense to practice conservative diving. However, in your other thread you mentioned underwater welding, which implies commercial diving. I don’t think such diving would be considered conservative. Further, I doubt whether the agencies who train commercial divers could accept your son as a student.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom