Where to dive for kelp forests on the US West Coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johanan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi friends!

I have my bucket list for diving and one of the items is kelp forests. If I had to choose one spot between San Diego and Siettle, where should it be? Many thanks for your advise!

Channel Islands and Big Sur for Central and Southern California. Probably a 3-4 day boat trip out to the Channel Islands in the Fall would be ideal. As well as Monterey and Big Sur.

La Jolla Cove in San Diego is a easy access beach dive-get their early-and a nice kelp canopy.

All suggestions above are great, though I will add that Big Sur is very remote, with steep mountains, and has few entry points. It can make for a very adventurous day of diving. Very few people dive the area. It's not impossible, just a certain amount of commitment.
The Channel Islands are quite beautiful, as mentioned above, a live aboard vessel is the way to go, if you have the time.
Truth Aquatics offers boat trips to the Channel Islands regularly, as well as a few Big Sur trips in early June every year. Here are a few options.

Truth Aquatics: The Best In Liveaboard Diving, Island Kayaking and Hiking
Peace Dive Boat | Channel Islands Scuba Diving, Lobster Hunting & More
Welcome to Calboat Diving (866) 225-3483

The Raptor offers day trips to the northern channels islands.

Welcome to the Raptor Dive Charters Website located in Ventura Harbor, California

As for Monterey dive boats...

Monterey SCUBA Diving Charter Boats

Hope this helps you! If you get out here to Carmel/Monterey, reach out. I may be able to join you if you wish. Safe travels!

You are posting in the Northern California forum. San Diego (SoCal) offers the possibility for great kelp forest diving out at Pt. Loma plus other interesting dives closer to shore. There are several dive boats operating out of that area that can give you a great experience.

San Diego offers wreck alley for diving sunken boats. Channel Islands offers fantastic diving. Monterey/Carmel can be incredible diving. Conditions play a huge role in the diving. Especially more in Northern California where it tends to be rougher conditions.

No matter were you go, other than Point Lobos in NorCal I would recommend jumping on a boat. You will also want to use a drysuit, so either plan to bring yours, or bring a card so you can rent one.

Thank you very much, indeed! God willing, I hope to be in San Diego tomorrow night. Your posts with tips and links will be a good help for me! :thumbs-up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom