Volunteer diver @ Mystic Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was looking over Mystic Aquarium's website and found that they had a volunteer SCUBA program. The duties are helping clean tanks and other stuff like that but it looks like a nice opportunity to volunteer some time to a good aquarium while diving in the process.

Anyone ever had any volunteer experience with the aquarium SCUBA or no or know anyone who has? Thanks.

-- Matt

I dive for the Aquarium of the Pacific out here in Long Beach, CA and love it. Been there a little over a year now and at times it can get boring....scrub, scrub, scrub....but when you turn around and wave at a kid and their eyes get big and their mouth drops open, that's the coolest! It's like they don't realize that you can see them too, heh.

Sounds like a great opportunity... too bad it's 2 hours away from Boston.

Hi,

I am a dive volunteer at the New England Aquarium. It's really fun and I've been pretty dedicated for about 2 years. They sometimes looking for more volunteers so if anyone is interested, check out their volunteer descriptions at their website: www.neaq.org

One note: you have to volunteer for the dive department for about 6 months before you can become a dive volunteer. There are other prerequisites that have to do with dive experience. Check it out. I find that the wait isn't so bad. Also, the other duties are still pretty interesting.

The idea is that you are donating your time to a good cause.

Hi - I used to volunteer at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and they also have a program for divers to clean the tanks for the marine mammals. I've never done it because the wait-list for those positions was always something like 6-18 months and seniority counts. A lot of the current divers start out doing something like interpretation or education, and then get on the list for diving. But they also have a need for back-up divers, who live close enough to the aquarium to be on-call just in case one of the scheduled divers can't make it. So that might be an option if there's a wait-list and depending on how close you live to the place.

I've heard that it can be very rewarding and interesting, and the kids who watch the divers feeding/cleaning are always amazed and like to ask tons of questions. I've also heard that you can get some nasty skin diseases from the water, but I don't know how true that is. Either way, I think it's a good way to get in the water on a regular basis. Volunteering was a great experience for me and I learned a ton of interesting stuff about the animals and the collections at the aquarium.

v_1matst:
I was looking over Mystic Aquarium's website and found that they had a volunteer SCUBA program. The duties are helping clean tanks and other stuff like that but it looks like a nice opportunity to volunteer some time to a good aquarium while diving in the process.

Anyone ever had any volunteer experience with the aquarium SCUBA or no or know anyone who has? Thanks.

-- Matt

PK:
One note: you have to volunteer for the dive department for about 6 months before you can become a dive volunteer. There are other prerequisites that have to do with dive experience. Check it out. I find that the wait isn't so bad. Also, the other duties are still pretty interesting.
What did they have you do during the 6 month 'initiation' period? Mystic is a lot closer for me than Boston (well not really I guess but a lot more convenient) but it's good to know that they also have a dive program.

Thanks to everyone for the info and keep it coming if you feel inclined.

-- Matt

im interested in volunteering for mystic.

i just went there last week and the place is beautiful.

i think i'd flip my lid if they let me clean the shark or whale's tanks.

looks like i better get on the CPR certification :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom