Hello from Paris / any good dive resorts in Gran Canaria, Spain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I just subscribed to this site. I am rather a beginner (Padi open water, 18 m) and was wondering whether anybody can recommend a good dive shop or dive resort (school) on Gran Canaria, Spain. I want to go there mid april.
I am looking for reliable guides/instructors with good equipement.

Many thanks for the advice!

Christian

I used TOP DIVING in Puerto Rico ...

They are pretty good.

have fun and take a thick wetsuit as its still quite cold in april.

Christian,

How was your dive? We just got back from Gran Canaria and our scuba adventures were pretty underwhelmed. As seasoned divers, we are accustomed to diving around a LOT of fish, something we refer to as a 'fish soup.' While we see a couple of brief videos for Gran Canaria's "fish soup," we were disappointed by their absence. I could the varieties of fish (one of each species) on one hand. We saw a small school (less than 20 fish) of white seabream, but that was as soup-y as it got. Ok, sure - in El Cabron, we saw a LOT of sea cucumbers....but, well...it seems like that 'fish soup' in Gran Canaria is a rare occasion. You will need a 5mm or 7mm wet suit as the water is pretty cold. If you chill easily, I recommend a 7mm.

We dove with a couple of dive schools - Extra Divers has excellent guides, but the woman in the shop helping with their sub-par equipment took the shine off. Extra Divers do have access to boat dive spots, although parking by the hotel is a long walk. Lunch can be had at the hotel bar.

My favorite, Davy Jones Diving, had excellent equipment and had a robust dive base that was the most relaxed I've ever gone with. The dives are all shore dives, which can be a bit obnoxious to get in and out, but totally do-able. Parking is easy in the industrial area and they drive you to the shore dive. Lunch (a sandwich) can be purchased about 500m away and drinks are free at the base (soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea, water, you name it!).

We were going to go with Puerto Rico diving, but it turns out they go to the same spots as Davy Jones and the Davy Jones base was too good to leave. Besides, Puerto Rico diving had a lot of divers. The staff was VERY friendly when I contacted them before I got to the island.

Overall, Gran Canaria was over-inflated. I'm happy to hear of other experiences.

Best,
Anna

I cannot tell anything about GC but when I dived at Lanzarote in 2012 we hat plenty of schools of fish. I cannot provide fotos though as I flooded my camera on the third dive :-(

Hello everyone,

I'm in Lanzarote and even if i never dove in the others islands of the Canary, I can say that diving in Lanzarote is amazing. School of fish everywhere, angel shark, damsel fish.....and visibility incredible! If you ever want to dive in Lanzarote go and see AQUASPORT DIVING | Dive into Happiness! Best team ever!!!!

You just sold Lanzarote to me! Also looking to head out to the Canary Islands but been trying to decide what island to pick. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom