Brrrrrr.... 8/11/14 Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverAmy

Prism2 CCR Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Temp at surface: 85
Temp at 50 ft: 81
Temp on the reef (Jupiter Ledge 72 ft): 74
Temp on the reef (Loggerhead 65 ft): 75
Very light N bound current
Viz 35-60
Critters: abundant

I was cold in my 3 mm full with 3/5 hooded vest.

First dive I hoverered above the thermocline, however divers below air bubbles sent the cold water up to me. Second dive I wore my hooded vest....much more tolerable!

Last time I dove Jupiter my computer read 68 at 98 feet at the reef. I wore my hood and cloves with my 3mm farmer john and was comfortable. That being said I dive the spring here in Florida quite a bit and they are 72 degrees year round. I just dove the Blue Grotto on Friday, great dive, almost had the place to ourselves. Jupiter has lots-o-critters.

Does it stay this warm in Florida during the winter? I was just going to post the question about how cold does it get in Florida during the winter. If I go there should I bring my 7mm wetsuit or will my 2.5mm wetsuit be sufficient?

North Texas yesterday:

Temp at surface: 98
Temp at 25 ft: 91
Temp at 35 ft: 84
Temp at 45 ft: 77
Viz 10-20
Critters: abundant (well for NTX)

I was cold in my 2.5 mm full but only at 45 ft. It was nice above that.

Does it stay this warm in Florida during the winter? I was just going to post the question about how cold does it get in Florida during the winter. If I go there should I bring my 7mm wetsuit or will my 2.5mm wetsuit be sufficient?

North Texas yesterday:

Viz 10-20

Temps in South Florida when I've dived there late fall and early spring has been low 70's to high 60's. I've never worn more than a 3/2, but I've been chilly a few times at those temps.

North Texas yesterday:

Viz 10-20

It get "chilly" in south Florida in the winter. chilly is a relative term. While it can get cool on the surface, we have days where in the water is warmer than the air! When water temps dip into the 70's and even down to 68 or so in spots, I go with my 5mm and lavacore pants, shirt and hood. I'm toasty warm. Mind you, I don't do that until late Dec/Jan or so.

It get "chilly" in south Florida in the winter. chilly is a relative term. While it can get cool on the surface, we have days where in the water is warmer than the air! When water temps dip into the 70's and even down to 68 or so in spots, I go with my 5mm and lavacore pants, shirt and hood. I'm toasty warm. Mind you, I don't do that until late Dec/Jan or so.

I dive with a 7MM in the winter since I get cold easy (like you said, chilly is a relative term).

74 this time of year is colder than normal. Sometimes we'll get summer deep water upwellings that really drive down the temps for a couple of days (had 62 degrees in summer a few years ago on two dives). I'm not sure that explains DiverAmy's observations though: my experience is that upwellings really drive down the temps (15-20 degree plunge from normal) rather than a 4-6 degree decrease from normal.

Sunday temp in Key West was 88 degrees at 90 feet on the Vandenberg with a slightly colder thermocline at roughly 100 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom