chinese can lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finally, I think it is cool that you bring these relatively unknown lights into the mainstream. Some of them are damn good quality (as you are well aware), and I'm sure they have put a lot of pressure on the more expensive traditional lights for users that wouldn't venture into the unknown to test them out.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Wasn't making fun of you for being new....

But you gotta go back a little further and know the history of where that light came from to know what I was talking about....It transformed from a 500 Lumen light into something much better as we starting playing with it more and more and more. Link below
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hot-deals/413195-500-lumen-light-only-$79-99-a.html
Ah I'm talking about the can light. I thought you were saying that it was developed for you, while I thought it was only offered in the past 6 months or so from you and I see it has been available for much longer than that under the brinyte label.

If you are saying you helped develop that light maybe you can get the DRIS1k head in a can-light design that is more reliable. Hopefully you could do it and still keep costs down compared to the competition (entry level dive-rites, etc).

Finally, I think it is cool that you bring these relatively unknown lights into the mainstream. Some of them are damn good quality (as you are well aware), and I'm sure they have put a lot of pressure on the more expensive traditional lights for users that wouldn't venture into the unknown to test them out.

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Ah I'm talking about the can light. I thought you were saying that it was developed for you, while I thought it was only offered in the past 6 months or so from you and I see it has been available for much longer than that under the brinyte label.

Oh, you are absolutely correct. That doesn't mean we didn't have samples that we rejected long before they added it to their site :wink: When we added it to our site, it was suitable for us to sell in the current form and testing. That was not when the product first came out or when we first saw it though .

Yes, it's alot of fun....our current build is from a different manufacturer and is a completely new design sure to turn some heads again like we did with the 500 Lumen. Hopefully coming out by November :D

---------- Post added August 11th, 2014 at 08:04 PM ----------

Funny thing about that can light...
Do the conversion and catch your jaw before it hits the floor.
DirDirect :: Torches & Lighting :: Primary Torches :: Tecline US-15 LED Light

Oh, you are absolutely correct. That doesn't mean we didn't have samples that we rejected long before they added it to their site :wink: When we added it to our site, it was suitable for us to sell in the current form and testing. That was not when the product first came out or when we first saw it though .

Yes, it's alot of fun....our current build is from a different manufacturer and is a completely new design sure to turn some heads again like we did with the 500 Lumen. Hopefully coming out by November :D

Gotcha okay, that makes sense. I don't know enough about the DIV01 and 1k timing to comment.

I think the current market on can lights seem really overpriced given the marginal material costs over some of the pretty nice handheld lights I've gotten. Hopefully you can crack into that while providing a quality product. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Also, to be clear, I do like you guys still :D. I'll be hopefully placing a drysuit order once I can get my old one sold.

Funny thing about that can light...
Do the conversion and catch your jaw before it hits the floor.
DirDirect :: Torches & Lighting :: Primary Torches :: Tecline US-15 LED Light
Haha yeah I've seen those lights go for a huge range of prices.
That conversion factor is crazy though! It went from 1000 lumen to 1500!

While I'm picking your brain, does the old 1K light take 26650s? Some of the lights I've seen take 3 Cs or 2 26650s and can adjust the voltage (because obviously in series the voltage is a lot higher with the 26650s).

Gotcha okay, that makes sense. I don't know enough about the DIV01 and 1k timing to comment.

I think the current market on can lights seem really overpriced given the marginal material costs over some of the pretty nice handheld lights I've gotten. Hopefully you can crack into that while providing a quality product. I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Also, to be clear, I do like you guys still :D. I'll be hopefully placing a drysuit order once I can get my old one sold.

Haha yeah I've seen those lights go for a huge range of prices.
That conversion factor is crazy though! It went from 1000 lumen to 1500!

While I'm picking your brain, does the old 1K light take 26650s? Some of the lights I've seen take 3 Cs or 2 26650s and can adjust the voltage (because obviously in series the voltage is a lot higher with the 26650s).

The 1000 only uses C batteries....the 1k Shorty is AA batteries.

Glad you still like us :wink: There is a lot of places you can buy gear from, we are honored to be one of the choices you pick to buy from. I'm not saying to buy from China, but I can tell you my desk is loaded with samples from MANY different places, and almost every Brinyte light out there.....and there aren't many I would say are quality that will last.

The 1000 only uses C batteries....the 1k Shorty is AA batteries.

Glad you still like us :wink: There is a lot of places you can buy gear from, we are honored to be one of the choices you pick to buy from. I'm not saying to buy from China, but I can tell you my desk is loaded with samples from MANY different places, and almost every Brinyte light out there.....and there aren't many I would say are quality that will last.
Also, unless i'm confused the div03 also takes a 26650, so I wasn't sure if that was a hidden capability.

Sure thing. Some of the lights I've used definitely need some improvements. Are you familiar with the so called "pill box" design? That's one of the major limitations I've seen, and something I've tried remedying by adding heatsink material. Is that something you take into account with all your lights?

Sure I get that you guys are active, and wish I were closer to check out the shop and use you for fills/repair work. That doesn't mean that I want my purchases to subsidize entry of new divers, or that any of the other activity should impact my decision to purchase a product that much. I definitely am willing to spend 10-15% more at a place if they have proven themselves to me and I know I can trust them, but I'm not willing to pay much more of a premium, regardless of how many new divers they brought in and the presence they have in the industry.

I can't seem to find the date listed on your product listing, but I remember seeing it listed as a new arrival since I've started shopping at DRIS (and I placed my first order in late february of this year). Was it introduced much before that? The earliest review is in april. It's too bad the failure rate is high, but that is definitely a risk I and others take when we order overseas. I've had pretty good experience, but I haven't tested this light in particular or extensively.

I hope you'll forgive that I've only been a forum member for the past 10 months.

Also, related to the topic at hand I've got the 3 Led div10 en route, so we'll see how it looks. I know the usual tricks with quality (replacing/checking seals and o-rings), so hopefully it works out but I'm willing to deal with the hassle.
Please share your impressions when you receive the div10. Do you know the near angle of this one?

Please share your impressions when you receive the div10. Do you know the near angle of this one?
Of course! I'll do a preliminary tear-down before it gets wet to double check everything, and will post some photos.

Here was the cheapest I could find it: 3000LM CREE XML U2 Scuba Diving 3 LED Flashlight Torch 150M Underwater Outdoor | eBay

And that lists it as 10degrees, which is plenty tight. It hopefully will have a decent amount of spill, because 3000 lumens is plenty of light to spread around. That is probably an overestimate, but even half that OTF will be insanely bright, and brighter than 90% of cans selling for 10x the price. Hopefully it proves reliable.

One thing I do think is odd is the long skinny can. Id have preferred 3x2 26650s (2 high, arranged in a triangle) for double the burn time and a more stout canister. I'll be trying to attach this to the backplate though, and not in the usual DIR waist belt.

Of course! I'll do a preliminary tear-down before it gets wet to double check everything, and will post some photos.

Here was the cheapest I could find it: 3000LM CREE XML U2 Scuba Diving 3 LED Flashlight Torch 150M Underwater Outdoor | eBay

And that lists it as 10degrees, which is plenty tight. It hopefully will have a decent amount of spill, because 3000 lumens is plenty of light to spread around. That is probably an overestimate, but even half that OTF will be insanely bright, and brighter than 90% of cans selling for 10x the price. Hopefully it proves reliable.

One thing I do think is odd is the long skinny can. Id have preferred 3x2 26650s (2 high, arranged in a triangle) for double the burn time and a more stout canister. I'll be trying to attach this to the backplate though, and not in the usual DIR waist belt.

I can hook you up with that light for $145...but it might be a couple weeks until we place an order though :wink:

The long canister might actually be quite interesting for my sidemount diving purposes and 10 degree angle sounds decent as well.

Dris would shipping to Europe work through you or would that raise the price too much?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom