Really Interested in a Pony - What size? How to mount? Other questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a couple of shots with my 19cu slung on my left. In all honesty, I don't even realize it's there. I did have to shift some weight to my other side to feel balanced, but it was an easy adjustment.

vlcsnap-2014-06-29-16h59m53s164.jpgvlcsnap-2014-06-29-17h04m54s31.jpg

Sweet.

You have ALL the information that you or anyone else needs for slinging a pony. I clip the bottom of the pony to my tailplate/tailpiece because it keeps the pony from going nose down and pulls the cylinder much more in line.

No big deal, your trim looks good in that rig...

Last edited:
Hmm, the images and video were really helpful.
I think that slung 19 in the pictures or back mount 6 in the video are about the only options for me, seeing the 13 and 6 from multiple angles in the water confirmed my feelings. I really wish the tank manufacturers had made the 13 as skinny as the 6 and just made it longer for a streamlined back mount.
I would carry the back mount 6 with my tiny Mares DIN MR12 on every dive as standard equipment if I had it, but if I chose the slung 19 I would only bring it when diving over maybe 60 feet or if some sort of mild overhead environment was involved.
My goal is to make a CESA never happen, not to carry a bottle for a full deco stop on every dive. Perhaps the solution is to get both for different dives. :)
They are certainly cheap enough, I see the Catalina 6 for $90 shipped and the 19 for $120 shipped, both with the din/yoke pro valves.

My LDS sold me my 19cu for $120 with pro valve, vis (o2 clean), and a fill. Then charged me $12 for the harness parts and even assembled it for me.

Sling a 40, no one and i mean no one has ever died because they had too much gas.

---------- Post added June 30th, 2014 at 12:25 PM ----------

I'd have serious questions for you LDS for putting that suicide clip on!!

My girlfriend and I each carry a 3cu ft Spare Air. While I agree that 3cu ft doesn't offer much, it's unlikely that we would both need to use our spares. 6cu ft is enough for one of us to get to the surface even with a safety stop. We are recreational only, and don't go below 70ft open water. Maybe the $$ for two Spare Airs would have been better spent on a single, larger pony--but we might as well use what we have!

My girlfriend and I each carry a 3cu ft Spare Air. While I agree that 3cu ft doesn't offer much, it's unlikely that we would both need to use our spares. 6cu ft is enough for one of us to get to the surface even with a safety stop. We are recreational only, and don't go below 70ft open water. Maybe the $$ for two Spare Airs would have been better spent on a single, larger pony--but we might as well use what we have!

If you emergency ascent plan relies upon assistance from your buddy to provide redundant air supply..... then you really don't need a pony bottle (or a spare airs)...

3cu from 70ft is enough to do a safety stop?

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 04:23 PM ----------

So I had my first pony bottle action during mini season. I was at 80 ft when another diver pointed at me and started swimming my way. I look over my shoulder and see a ton of bubbles. I'm breathing, no big deal, I'll just grab my pony and start my ascent. I look down and the bubbles were coming from my pony where my high pressure hose goes into the 1st stage. So I calmly shut it down. The o-ring had failed. So my first action with the pony was the pony failing. What I liked was I didn't panic nor felt any fear when I saw the bubbles. I went straight to the pony, saw the real issue, and handled it.

...//... So my first action with the pony was the pony failing. What I liked was I didn't panic nor felt any fear when I saw the bubbles. I went straight to the pony, saw the real issue, and handled it.

:D True redundancy works both ways...

Very good that I suddenly found this thread. Before ocean trip (Flower Garden) I asked myself mostly about the same questions and had the same dilemmas.
First I calculated my emergency needed air from 40 meters (130 ft) without GUE (every 10 ft) or even safety stops , but with normal ascending (9m per minute). It is about 500 liters with my gas consumption multiply emergency situation.
19 cf (2.7 l) tank contains about 540 liter ,so if tank will be not fill till maximum pressure, it just may be not enought.
For now I decided to order 30 cf (4.3 liters) stage. It is little bit bigger and 4lb more heavy, but make me more relax in case buddy will decide to dive alone (which already happened with me in some dives with unknow buddy).
How to keep a pony during a dive. I did Deep course with pony and learned to open tank even in emergency. I think to prevent free-flow or other gas leak during a dive, better to keep it close (of cause if pony mounted on your left side and avaliable).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom