Vyper Air Says I am in Deco after I finish my 3 min Safety Stop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjchang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased a Vyper Air black w/ transmitter about 3 months ago. I had about 30 dives with it, and like very much. However, for the last four dives, after I finished my 3 min safety stop (recommended, not mandatory) starting ascend, it suddenly showed that I was in deco, forcing me to go back down (usually around 15 ft) for one min or less. Later I downloaded the dive profiles to the PC, and indeed it indicated that I was in deco after 3 min stop. I cannot make any out of it.

Of course I'll bring it back to my LDS for check up. I just want to know whether I can continue to dive with it, because I will have a dive trip coming up within 2 days. I'm spoiled by the integrated air function. Thanks for any input.

Jay

BTW, for these four dives, they were not deco dives throughout.

The dive computer can show a ceiling (similar to the display for deco) if your ascent rate is too fast.

What was your ascent rate? When you downloaded the dive to DM4, did it show a warning (yellow triangle IIRC) after the safety stop?

Thanks. yes, it showed a ceiling. I downloaded it to "Subsurface", and it show warning (yellow triangle), but the comments were "deco." I don't believe that I ascended too fast. However, since I switched my computer from right arm to left arm, which I used to hold power inflator hose. Just another factor.

Isn't there a setting to make it less conservative? Really glad to hear you followed the computers recommendation. (Some people ignore their own computers.)

However, since I switched my computer from right arm to left arm, which I used to hold power inflator hose. Just another factor.
Now why would you do that? It is impossible to see the left hand for your depth gauge if you are using the butt dump, or the inflator hose. Many of us wear our computer on right wrist with our compass on the left.

You probably had an ascent violation, happened to me once, 1 minute additional stop. I doubt you would rack up deco after your safety stop. If you had deco it would show before doing your SS, then it would give you a SS after you cleared deco.

Thanks. yes, it showed a ceiling. I downloaded it to "Subsurface", and it show warning (yellow triangle), but the comments were "deco." I don't believe that I ascended too fast. However, since I switched my computer from right arm to left arm, which I used to hold power inflator hose. Just another factor.

As the others have stated, you probably had too fast an ascent somewhere along the line. Suunto computers are notorious for really slowing the ascent down as you get shallower & if you violate that rate of ascent for a period of time, it will give you a mandatory safety stop (not a decompression stop). Unlike a violated decompression stop, a missed mandatory safety stop will not lock you out for 48 hrs. It will however heavily penalize you on the NDL of your next dive, though. Make absolutely sure you know the difference between the mandatory safety stop & a decompression stop on the computer. You may want to look over the user manual again. If you do not have it, you can easily download it from Suunto's website. I had that happen to me a few years ago, whilst trying to slow a bolting, panicked diver.

If it was a true deco situation 1. you should always know your NDL while on the dive to know for sure if you were in decompression or not. It is always wise to know your decompression status. & 2. the computer may have given you a 10 ft ceiling. Most safety stops are done at or around 15 ft. If the ceiling was 10 ft, then at 10 ft would give you the optimum off- gassing & thus given you the stop after your safety stop.

---------- Post added August 14th, 2014 at 06:45 AM ----------

If you had deco it would show before doing your SS, then it would give you a SS after you cleared deco.

It may or may not, depending on the initial decompression obligation & if it were a stop with a 10 ft ceiling.

Suunto dive computers can be a bit fickle when it comes to getting mad at you. My dive buddy dives with two Suuntos and was given an extra 2 minute stop after a mellow short shallow 45 minute dive yesterday.

In Subsurface all we get from the Suunto is one bit that tells us "mandatory stop was added", so we can't tell you any more on WHY that happened...

You probably had an ascent violation, happened to me once, 1 minute additional stop. I doubt you would rack up deco after your safety stop. If you had deco it would show before doing your SS, then it would give you a SS after you cleared deco.

I really hope so, and it may be caused by my left arm movement when I did my final ascent to the surface after SS. I strapped the light on my right hand; so I moved the computer to left arm. I guess that I should switch back to right arm. I don't think I'm close to NDL for those dives, at least when I did my SS. The thing bothered me is that when I clicked those yellow warning triangles (Subsurface), it says "deco." Maybe I should download them to DM4 to find out what DM4 says. Thanks to everyone.

Yeah - download it to dm4. I know when it happened to me, after my SS I was cleared, then I checked a few seconds later and it told me to go down to 10 ft for 1 min. I keep it on my right arm now.

Dm4 should also show your no deco time throughout your dive, so you can tell for sure if you went into deco.

You dont accidentally have deep stops enabled?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom