Aqualung Seaquest Pro QD with I3 question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Iraqvet711
New User

Aqualung Sea Quest Pro QD w/I3 question
I am pretty much what you'd call fresh fish when it comes to diving, I have my first 2 open water dives coming up this week. In class, as I'm sure is standard we have been using the BCD's with the first stage, the primary second stage on the right, and the alternate on the left with the low pressure inflator hose attached to the alternate air source, which also has the red button to add air and the grey button to release air, Before I say anything else, I have to say that there has not been one positive thing happen in my life since I was honorably discharged from the army in 2008, and then last month my wife gave me the brochure for the padi open water diving course and told me she had already paid for it, scuba diving has always been a dream of mine, so needless to say I almost started crying, and I don't ever get emotional, the army and Iraq took all of that out of me, my dive instructor told us we would never forget our first breath underwater and he was right!! I am obsessed!! And I love this!!!

So to my question: scuba diving is a very expensive hobby, so I found a used (apparently) you wouldn't know by looking at it, Seaquest Pro QD with I3 technology on the internet, and I jumped on it, I didn't realize this BCD is nothing like what we used in class, how hard is it going to be for me to get used to using an octopus instead of having the normal hose with the buttons and the mouthpiece on my left? And if I'm not comfortable with it, can I get the normal hose installed on the left instead of having just the black oral inflator hose and just not use the I3 system? The BCD is VERY comfortable and feels perfect, but when I try to use this thing in my advanced open water diver class I'm afraid my instructor is gonna laugh at me or just tell me I can't use it. I should have looked around a little more at BCD's but I was impatient and this one is in PERFECT condition. I guess I just need suggestions, thank you to anyone who can help!
I previously posted this in the wrong thread, but I did get one response, saying that I can hook up an Air 2 system instead of the black manual inflation hose that's in there now, will that eliminate my need for an octopus? And is it possible to have 2 inflator hoses? One to the air 2 and one to the I3 with enough places for my primary second stage and my computer/gauges? I'm sorry for all the questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

First off...welcome....and thank you.

As for your question, having a separate octopus is closer to 'normal'. No matter what gear you use, you need to get certified and practice with it. If you are getting good instruction you will learn about different types of gear so you not only know your gear but also your buddies gear.

Your instructor will most likely prefer you use what he is selling. If you are more comfortable with the BCD you bought, you will be comfortable and more likely to continue. Get certified and practice then decide if you want to change it.

I think you're confusing things a little. The I3 is your BC inflation system. The small hose attached to your left shoulder is for you to manually inflate the BC in case of failure. It has nothing to do with providing gas for your buddy - or yourself in an emergency.

For that you would still need an octo 2nd stage regulator. Or an Air II or similar octo-inflator. Most people think of this when you post octopus:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0200/7926/products/alpha9_octo_medium.jpg?v=1359731354

Your regulator will have high pressure and low pressure ports. You need one high pressure port for your pressure gauge. If you in the future buy a wireless Air Integrated computer the transmitter for it will go there instead. Should you want both the AI computer and a pressure gauge (many do since transmitters aren't always reliable), you'll need a regulator with a second high pressure port.

If you're also looking at buying a regulator it's something to consider. Lower priced models often have less ports.

Most modern regulators have somewhere between 4-7 low pressure ports. You need one for each 2nd stage - your primary and your octo. You need a 3rd low pressure port to connect to the I3 inflator hose. Should you wish to add an octo inflator - you'll need another low pressure port. Should you dive in a drysuit at some point possibly one more. Some people also carry a separate bottle/regulator for drysuit inflation if they run out of ports. Having more ports/swivel turrets is for optimum hose routing.

I personally would use/get used to the I3 system and dive it. Buy a regulator with a primary and secondary 2nd stage. The secondary can be yellow for visibility. Or a dedicated octo regulator which is a lot less expensive. The other consideration with an octo-inflator is hose length of your primary regulator. You may've read about people buying longer hoses - 5-7' is common - to donate their primary in an emergency. That's what you'd be doing with an octo inflator so next time you have a tank/regulator on your I3 - imagine how close someone is with a standard 40" hose often provided. It's awkward ascending that tightly together. Most standard octo's have a slightly longer hose than the primary for this reason. Although it's not great either.

Another point to consider is that an octo-inflator would likely replace the top left flat valve on your I3. I don't know the technology behind how they're attached to the BC bladder but even assuming they just unscrew like standard pull-dump valves, there's still some sort of rod connected to your I3 mechanism since when you vent air with it - it opens all the flat valves simultaneously. Obviously a non-I3 ProQD doesn't have this issue but if you change to a standard octo-inflator you're either still going to need to use the I3 for the other valves or swap them all for the ones used on the non-I3 Aqualung BCd's. Otherwise you would have no way to vent gas from the BC except thru the Octo-inflator. That's not always optimal depending on the position you find yourself in - and actually is dangerous. I'm sure whoever suggested that didn't know about the difference in the flat valves.

The only reason your instructor is going to care about the I3 is if he/she has to pair you up with someone else since they need to understand it's operation in case you're incapacitated. I'd personally make it a point to show it to future dive buddies also as it's non-standard so they need to understand which way to push the lever - it sounds stupid but in an emergency you don't want them to drop you down quickly in silty conditions like a wreck or you both risk not being able to see the way out.

And also how to manually inflate it thru the left shoulder manual inflator - although the chances of you being unconscious and the I3 inflator failing simultaneously have to be very remote. Even if you ran completely out air, the I3 will still vent the valves as you ascend so you don't become a runaway.

The other consideration if you don't buy a regulator but plan to travel is that most shops are going to provide rental regs with a standard octo and short inflator hose for a standard inflator. So you may need to bring your hose also.

I know it's "like new" but did you have an Aqualung dealer look it over? The I3 uses linkages and flat valve technology which is unique to Aqualung. It's more complicated than just about any other BC that most shops sell/service and are familiar with.

Speaking of likes - here's your first one...

Last edited:
Hi Iraqvet711 and welcome. I have the exact BCD that you are talking about and have been using it for 2 years. It is by far the best BCD I have ever used in my 25 years of diving. Nothing comes close.

diversteve is right on the money. The BCD hose length can be an issue, especially when you thread it through the velcro holder on the back before you pass it through the side pocket to the i3 Inflator.

I am an Instructor and an owner of a dive operation in Fiji. I do not use my BCD during pool sessions, but use it on all the open water dives after I explain the advances in technology to the student prior to entering the ocean. I am also a scuba technician factory trained in Aqualung, Scubapro, Atlantis, Sherwood and Mares. As far as maintenance is concerned, like all brands, make sure you service ALL of your gear regularly (minimum 12 months) by a certified technician. The i3 Inflator is unique to Aqualung and should not be serviced by someone who is not familiar with it, as they would be guessing how the thing works.

As far as diving with it - your finer buoyancy adjustments are so easy with this unit, as you just need to touch the lever slightly to add or remove air from the BCD, very handy if you are diving on aluminium tanks. No need to fiddle around and hold up the hose to vent excess air.

The regulator. Run both your Primary second stage and your octi on the right. The octo pocket holds the octi in place beautifully (another great feature of this BCD). Your left now will only have the gauges, unless you go transmitter/computer for your air like me, then nothing but your dive knife and SMB on your left. Streamlining at its best.

Your only 2 worries with this BCD are that your Instructor is jealous that he doesn't have one and that (like diversteve said above) you need to show your buddy how it works, as he/she will not know that you are actually inflating/deflating. No hand up in the air.

You made a good choice. If you don't want it, let me know - I'll buy it from you for my Divemasters.

I dive with an instructor who uses that exact BCD. For training purposes he has changed the oral inflation hose to a conventional inflation hose and uses that connected to hos reg for training and uses the I3 for times when he is just diving. So if you hate the I3 no problem you don't have to change you BCD.

Thanks for all the info my friend, but I don't think I'm confused, in class we have not been exposed to using the octo system at all, we have our primary second stage on the right, and the air 2 on the left as our alternate air source, my instructor told me that all he deals with is SCUBAPRO equipment or sub gear, he said that Sea quest is now owned by aqualung, and that although they are the #1 scuba gear supplier, he doesn't think they are reliable, and I wish I could remember what he said word for word, but it was something about the air 2 having a high chance of failure on this BCD, something about a screw somewhere. He has a lot of experience, so I'd like to continue my education with him, but I don't want to have to deal with his attitude, which I'm sure I'll get, if I start using this thing, if I have my own BCD i shouldn't pay to rent his equipment should I? Like for the advanced open water diver course?

I was confused by your contradictory statements...
how hard is it going to be for me to get used to using an octopus instead of having the normal hose with the buttons and the mouthpiece on my left? And if I'm not comfortable with it, can I get the normal hose installed on the left instead of having just the black oral inflator hose and just not use the I3 system?
saying that I can hook up an Air 2 system instead of the black manual inflation hose that's in there now, will that eliminate my need for an octopus? And is it possible to have 2 inflator hoses? One to the air 2 and one to the I3 with enough places for my primary second stage and my computer/gauges?

You don't replace the manual inflation hose unless you remove the top upper left flat valve and replace it with the Air 2 assembly instead. This eliminates the black manual inflation hose since you now have the Air 2 as your secondary regulator AND source of inflation/deflation - you would use the Air 2 in an emergency - donating your primary to your buddy.

In that situation you would hold Air 2 over your head and press the purge button to vent air from the top as needed. And the I3 control rod that currently activates that existing flat valve would need to be disabled/removed somehow. But you'd still need to keep/use the I3 to operate other valves.

You can add a second hose for the Air 2 but it still has to mount somewhere. That place is where the existing flat valve is currently. It would run off a low pressure port just like your I3 does now. Seems overly complicated to me.

The Air 2 - to use your terminology - is not the "normal hose on the left" for most people. Your training equipment was the exception. Most people worldwide learn on a standard two 2nd stage regulator since Air 2's cost more than octo 2nd stages. If I were cynical, I'd say it was a good marketing ploy - get the new diver used to thinking a $200+ Air 2 is the standard, not an $99 octo...most shops make most of their revenue selling full gear packages to newly certified divers.

The BC as you bought it is designed to be used with 2 standard 2nd stages, a primary and an octo. As mentioned above, there's even a pocket for the octo.

If you needed to share air, you would donate the octo keeping your primary 1st stage.

Unless you really feel like you want the Air 2 - I would use the BC as purchased and buy a regulator with a standard octo on it. You like the BCD as is and it is designed to be used in that fashion. For the small amount of use they typically get my suggestion is to buy a cheaper octo. I use mine once every dive vacation just to be sure it still works. Buy one your dealer can work on so you can get both serviced at the same time.

I hope this is clearer. I may have overcomplicated my first reply by introducing alternate scenarios.

You should be able to use your BC in your classes. If your instructor has a problem with you diving a highly regarded BC from one of the premier scuba mfr's worldwide - that's his problem, not yours. Your instructor wouldn't happen to work for a Scubapro Platinum store would he? That's all they're allowed to sell.

Looks like you might be looking for a new dealer anyway - somebody has to maintain your BCD now. The I3 is more complex than most so I'd definitely only let an Authorized Aqualung Dealer touch it.

As I mentioned, for any sorts of activities requiring buddy assistance (like Rescue diver), you may need to explain your system to them. I would make it a point to do so also with any insta-buddy or anyone else on the boat that was interested - never know when one of them might have to save you.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom