uwatec galileo sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving a Sol until a couple of months ago. GREAT computer. Air integration and heart monitor gives you lots of data about your dive. It is easy to use, very configurable and it was error free for me.
I switched to a Shearwater Petrel only because at the age of 56, I found that I could no longer clearly see the Sol's display in low viz dives.

I've used the Light display mode in the Sol at times and it gives large numerals, especially at night. And for night dives I use push on push off backlight mode, to keep the backlight on all the time. Some have said that the OLED display is more difficult to read in bright light.

Have a few ( many
icosm14.gif
) questions.....thx in advance ! to any answer/comment

1. Does the big screen makes a difference ....?
or the watch is too big in the real world? The screen size is the biggest benefit of this computer. It is VERY well laid out, and super easy to read even on the surface or in bright, shallow water. That being said, I am generally a clear water diver. It also gives you the benefit of very long battery life (over 100 dives is very common). IF you are diving in 5' vis, then a color screen would be easier to read but at much shorter battery life. The backlight is good enough for night diving as well. When warnings appear they show as "inverted" (that is, white text on black background), a great visual alert and very readable as well. Where you really appreciate the screen size is in compass mode. The display is huge, precise, stable at any angle, and roomy enough to also show you depth, time, tank pressure, and NDL. I do a lot of navigation diving and it just can't be beat. I am 56 years old and needed diopters to read a smaller watch style computer. I do not need them to read the Sol. The screen contrast, size and resolution make all the difference.

SOL has some nice features not often mentioned. A very intuitive multi-gas algorithm, and an upgrade to full trimix if you wish. In addition, you can add a very nice apnea mode for freediving.

The compass mode is absolutely without equal. I do lots of navigation diving and it makes nav dives a real pleasure. It is steady at any angle, huge display, easy to set bearings, and roomy enough to easily see depth, time, air pressure and NDL. On nav dives I leave it in compass mode all the time.

I dive with divers who use watch style computers and have looked at their computers. For me, no comparison. I do not like the much smaller round display, not nearly as easy to interpret. Compass mode--just no comparison at all. Trade-off is size. They comment how big mine is and I could never wear it as a regular watch, which is true, but for me visibility trumps everything else and the size also allows for a very large and long lasting battery. Also, I can easily change out my own battery with no need for a trip to the shop.

5. Any known technical problems with the Galileo Luna.... ?
I read reviews from 2012 that it was constantly losing signal with the transmitter?
does Scubapro fix this on 2013 models I have an "older" style transmitter that supposedly has this "problem". I have never lost the signal, not once. I mount the transmitter on the same side of my first stage as the arm on which I wear the computer (right side, right arm) so it is not blocked by my body. By the way, from what I have read, if the signal does drop, the computer will search and automatically pick it back up again unless the transmitter has completely failed, so it as a minor inconvenience of a few seconds. However I always carry an SPG clipped off to my waist so I never worry about It.

Overall, my thought is that this computer shows all the good things that come from a solid design, top hardware, and years of refinement. It also shows an excellent policy of a company offering constant and MAJOR (apnea, PMG, Tech/Trimix) improvements through firmware upgrade. Scubapro was way ahead of its time on that. The trade-offs (B&W versus color screen, size) are well done and offer substantial benefits.

There was a post above stating that the Sol is "old tec" (implying "low tec"). I do not understand how such statements get posted here. The only difference in technology is color vs B&W LCD. This is a trade off with a substantial benefit (long battery life) and is close to compensated for as to visibility by the screen size and excellent layout.

Other computers don't have "higher tec" depth sensors, buttons, circuit boards, etc. It is just absurd to say so. To compare it to something like the DG-03 is utter nonsense. The algorithm is a standard one (Buhlman Z8 or Z16 if you download trimix mode) and, operationally, the firmware is very advanced for configurability, readability and emphasis on key information.

In fact, the Sol has combined technologies that many other expensive computers don't have, such as the superior compass mode, physiology integration (heart rate) very reliable and advanced gas integration, APNEA mode, trimix mode, firmware updates, and a highly sophisticated dive logging software (unfortunately not Mac compatible unless you have parallels). Some of these might not be of interest to you, but "low tec" it certainly is not!

Hope this helps.

I've been diving my Sol since shortly after it was produced, not the same computer as my first was stolen from my home.
1. Big display and clear with big buttons.
2. black and white lcd display means long battery life. I don't want to worry if the battery has enough power to get me thru a dive day. I do travel to distant places that may not have power all day.
3. Can access all dive information from wrist unit without downloading to computer.
4. Do lose signal from transmitters when my UW camera strobes go off (z240s) usually when I take shots in close succession. It does regain signal but it takes a while.
5. I really like the dive log for your computer. Once you have a site saved, equipment, conditions etc. they all are available to check as items for your dive. Maybe the other manufacturers have matched this but my old Proplus 2.0 was a pain.
6. Download via infra red - easier than contact connection.
7. Could be upgraded for apnea to tech/decompression diving but I'm not going there.
8. Sometimes difficult to read display but usually the plastic display protector needs cleaning or replacement.

I like mine and have had it awhile but I haven't been shopping lately cause I don't really need to.

When I was deciding on my dive computer I was almost 100% sold on the Sol until I discovered this forum and I started doing research here. I learned about the SW Petrel and decided to go with that instead. Best decision I have made gear wise, Petrel was love at first sight. My instructor had a Sol and said he absolutely loved it while we were doing pool work but when we went on check out dives and I brought my petrel with me in recreational mode he told me that he had always wanted a petrel and now that he had seen one of his students with one he was going to go order one for himself when he got back to the shop. Went on a group dive with him a few weeks later and sure enough! Petrel was on his wrist and he had given his Sol to his wife. I think the Sol is a great computer and you will probably be happy with it but there are definitely some other options you might consider too. Sorry if this is off topic!

I had a Sol for years and loved it. In Advanced display mode it can be a bit crowded and hard to read if you are older - switching to the basic display makes things much easier to read. I had a older unit and lost connectivity with the transmitter briefly on about 25% of my dives - never more than a minute, but it was annoying. The Sol was easy to use and full featured. It runs middle of the road conservative, but you can configure things to meet your needs. Tons of features (e.g., heart monitor, big electronic compass, etc.). The rubber strap SUCKS and will quickly start to tear - replace it with something more secure asap or you may end up like me with a great computer sitting someone on the bottom of the Atlantic...

I think the battery life is a HUGE plus for this computer and can't be stated enough. I'm not sure how the battery life on the Petrel is but my Sol lasted for 100+ dives and 100+ pool hours before the battery got below half full!

I find the Sol very easy to read. For those of you hard of seeing, you can also set the computer to "Light mode" for even bigger numbers/font.

I've said before that I LOVED my Sol. Great computer with lots of features. My aging eyes had a different opinion. The sharper contract of the Shearwater Petrel made a big difference. I slightly miss the WAI and digital compass but I always had an SPG and an analog compass with me anyway. Big plus (in addition to being able to see it!) for the Petrel is standard AA batteries.

I have been diving the Sol since 2010. It the best!! What I especially like that no one so far has mentioned is the compass.
Once you learn how to use it, you will never have to worry not being able to find the boat, no matter how bad the vis is...
Battery life is great too, I have over 400 dives on it & only had to replace the battery once.

Thank you all for your comments. It looks like I will get a Sol and a Petrel

I have used a SOL for the past 100 dives and I really like it. I currently run 2 computers both AI. For me having AI is something I really like to have. I have gone through a lot of computers and prefer the sol.

Currently have
Tusa 950
Oceanic Atom 2.0
Oceanic Geo 2.0
Oceanic VT 4.1
Suunto Vytec- broken with a bad depth sensor
Aeries Atmos AI

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom