Hoseless computer alone or with backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had had computer died on me TWICE under water. When electronic decides to go on strike it won't give you any advanced warning!
There is nothing wrong with redundancy.

I've been using AI computers since I started diving - a while. They are pretty robust in terms of connection these days, the early ones were prone to losing connection quite often.

For my normal weekend diving, which is in the 30-40m bracket, I'm happy with just the computer. I change batteries regularly and don't venture into deco much. If in the event it ever failed, well I would just call the dive and head up.

Diving is as easy or as difficult as you make it. Got local guys still on J Valves.

I dive an Oceanic VT3 primary and a Geo2 with a SPG as backup. I've had the VT3 4 years, 414 dives with no problems. I've not needed the backup but am glad I have it, especially on multiday, multidive dive trips.

I've still never needed my backup computer/SPG but my wife did this trip. She uses an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with a quick disconnect. The computer started to leak air from the quick disconnect and could not easily be fixed on site. I switched out the computer for my SPG and loaned her my backup computer. We were on our merry way and finished out the trip without interruption.

I have an oceanic atom 2 w/ transmitter. I have a SPG clipped to my power inflator hose as backup. If i lost all connection I wouldn't have to abort the dive. I got the wireless for easy logging.

I've still never needed my backup computer/SPG but my wife did this trip. She uses an Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with a quick disconnect. The computer started to leak air from the quick disconnect and could not easily be fixed on site. I switched out the computer for my SPG and loaned her my backup computer. We were on our merry way and finished out the trip without interruption.

This is a bit off topic, but I have seen so many problems with those quick disconnects... why do people use them? There must be some reason, but I don't see the advantage.

Her AI computer wouldn't work without being connected to the HP hose?

This is a bit off topic, but I have seen so many problems with those quick disconnects... why do people use them? There must be some reason, but I don't see the advantage.

So people can leave their reg set in a dive locker but take their dive computer back to their room (to download dives, keep their expensive dive computer from walking away, etc.)

Last edited:
So people can leave their reg set in a dive locker but take their dive computer back to their room (to download dives, keep their expensive dive computer from walking away, etc.)

Oh, I see.

I would think that a regulator (first stage and two second stages) would be in the same cost range as one of those computers, so if you were really concerned about theft you should just take the whole thing to your hotel room. Seems like a significant failure point for limited benefit, but I guess I understand if people like that option.

I have mine on a QD to prevent damage on a boat, also it has a 3" length of hose between it and the first stage only to hopefully prevent some "helpful" person grabbing it to lift gear.

I'm plus 1 for having a separate spg (depth gauge too) both of these were my original fit before my AI so I kept them - heck if my comp goes down I know my contents as well as my depth (for ascending)

I would think that a regulator (first stage and two second stages) would be in the same cost range as one of those computers, so if you were really concerned about theft you should just take the whole thing to your hotel room. Seems like a significant failure point for limited benefit, but I guess I understand if people like that option.
My Suunto Cobra has a quick release. I bought it used and don't know how many dives the previous owner had on it. Myself, I've had >70 dives with it. No problems so far. I have thought about what to do if the Cobra failed on a trip. I have a backup wrist computer, but since I don't have a separate SPG, I guess I'm :censored: until I've had the Cobra fixed...

The Suunto QR is simple and appears rugged, so I don't see it as a high-risk failure point. Since I don't worry about that, I like it. It allows me to disconnect the PDC easily and bring it to my PC for downloading my dives without having to drag the whole reg setup around.

One requires a back up, the other does not. So now you carry two where once one would do.

The answer is in the question.

N

Back
Top Bottom