Atm card compromised in cozumel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zeagle Eagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Heads up guys. My debit card got compromised in Cozumel. I tried to use the ATM machine right in front of Papa Hogs on Cozumel. It denied 4 attempts to get some cash. However, it charged and attempted to get the money from my account. My bank was on top of it and blocked the charges.

I also had a problem with the ATM machine at the Barracuda hotel, the machine right by the front door. I made a withdrawal for $400 US dollars and got charged 3 times for $400 plus charged a $62 fee for each of those transactions. Keep those receipts guys and keep an eye on your money. I am going to have to challenge the extra $900+ dollars I did not get. I also see my debit card was used in Juarez, Mexico on the same date for a few hundred dollars. I have never been to Juarez.

It's a pain. I won't get a new card for 5 days. Watch your cards in COZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My card was recently compromised at the downtown RBC in Victoria BC. Watch yourself everywhere, not just Cozumel. :)

Heads up guys. My debit card got compromised in Cozumel. I tried to use the ATM machine right in front of Papa Hogs on Cozumel. It denied 4 attempts to get some cash. However, it charged and attempted to get the money from my account. My bank was on top of it and blocked the charges.

I also had a problem with the ATM machine at the Barracuda hotel, the machine right by the front door. I made a withdrawal for $400 US dollars and got charged 3 times for $400 plus charged a $62 fee for each of those transactions. Keep those receipts guys and keep an eye on your money. I am going to have to challenge the extra $900+ dollars I did not get. I also see my debit card was used in Juarez, Mexico on the same date for a few hundred dollars. I have never been to Juarez.

It's a pain. I won't get a new card for 5 days. Watch your cards in COZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Were these ATM machines a branded bank ATM or just a freestanding ATM placed by who knows?

If not, have you ever heard any advice to use only a bank ATM, preferably in a bank foyer?

Your indignation is not the most misplaced I've heard about. On a Playa del Carmen forum, a poster was outraged about her card being compromised, which happened when she used an ATM on 5th sporting a blank screen.

cash? what's that?

we go credit whenever possible. never carry local cash. sucks that now most (all?) credit cards charge a 2.5% "convenience fee" for out of country transactions.

NEVER EVER EVER use an ATM machine unless it is physically attached to a bank, like ON the bank bldg. This is a rule to follow ANYWHERE in the world. I don't even trust one at a local shopping center here at home! These machines are never safe. We even see gas pumps get a scan device attached to the input slot stealing people's card numbers! Danger danger Will Robinson!

never carry local cash

Quite a lot of Cozumel transactions are cash-only. Even with a local Banamex account we're not able to make all payments with cards.

That doesn't address the fact that card transactions at a business can be compromised every bit as easily as at an ATM.

Just wondering: is an ATM machine a device that dispenses ATM's?

Epcot conference center ATM in FL robbed me several years ago. Oddly enough every time I've been to Mexico or Jamaica though I was able to easily locate a scotia bank or RBC. Last places I expected canuk banks..
I've been plagued the last few years by card skimmers with my Visa. They've sent me a new one no less than 3 times in the last 2 years and always after stopping at rest stops for gas (US side not here).
I've only had my debit card skimmed twice, both time after visiting Montreal. What was funny was I didn't even use it there the last trip, so just rolling through the city resulted in skimming :)

NEVER EVER EVER use an ATM machine unless it is physically attached to a bank, like ON the bank bldg.

I won't really argue the point, but I don't hesitate to use the ATM's in CUN, or at Mega, or Walmart. Never flown in to CZM, so don't have an opinion about them. (Before I'm tarred and feathered, I went to Walmart fo buy some size 12 flip-flops, when I left them by the back door, AND after checking at MEGA first.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom