Gear too heavy to walk on boat/climb ladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the truth lies somewhere in between. There is a lot of diving that isn't very physically demanding at all. A paddle around our local training site, where the current is considered strong if you can feel it at all, and the distances you cover are small, is not very taxing -- the hardest part of such a dive is carrying the gear to and from the water (which is exactly what the OP feels she cannot do). I suspect most quarries and smaller lakes are just the same. To suggest that you have to be young and strong and very fit to do such dives is really over the top.

On the other hand, I can remember hanging onto the rail on the MV Tala while the boat pitched, with my eyes focused on the shot line ball, knowing I had to make it -- and coming back from that dive, with an iron grip on the line of the heaving RIB, trying desperately to hand an Al80 deco bottle up to the crewman without having it knock me senseless. To suggest that that type of diving is easy and requires no fitness would be equally wrong.

I think you can be sensible about the challenges you set yourself. If the OP has a neck problem that precludes wearing heavy gear, that doesn't mean she can't swim like a fish. It may mean that a high current dive in rough water is preferable to a long walk to the entry point. The person who has compromised leg strength may need to stay away from dives where the current could turn on them.

Diving isn't Special Forces, and you don't have to be THAT fit to do it. Yes, heart attacks kill older divers. Heart attacks kill older golfers, and people shoveling snow. We don't tell people they can't golf or shovel their driveways. Being more fit is beneficial in general, but suggesting that diving be limited to the young and strong is really overdoing it.

Hey There ChicagoLady,

Wow, what a wealth of legit and non-legit info you have received here. Usual of many forum post that have many different views related to them.
I'm not real interested in the Scuba Community part as a whole. I have some questions about you and your diving.
You mention a Past Neck injury (damn those things can be forever painful)
Is it mainly a limitation due to pain or due to weakness? Is it the neck or the neck just adds to the age factor?
Is your wish: to throw your gear overboard and put on in the water? On the Cali boats, the distance from your set up station to the jump gate is not that far (20-30feet max). Are you unable to make the jump entry with your gear on?
My understanding is you wish to remove your gear in the water and then head up the ladder with no gear? is this correct?
Do you travel and dive alone? If so, do you usually try to attach yourself to another diver on the boat as a buddy? If not, is your travel/dive partner of any help with this?
When are you traveling to Catalina?
Have you researched, made plans for your diving in Catalina as of yet? If so, who with? Or at least, what port due you plan to head out of (i.e.. what area of Cali are you thinking)?
I'm just trying to understand your situation better.
I Love a Few of the Cali boats and will further my suggestions to you once I have a better understanding of your situation.

IrnBear

So in one camp, you really shouldn't be scuba diving if you can't get in and out of the water by yourself. It's not really safe, you can't be a buddy to another diver, you have limitations on yourself and being a fair weather diver, safe as long as nothing goes wrong or conditions don't unexpectedly change. It's just a really dicey situation to be in your position and you really need to be careful, fully explain your limitations to the dive operations you will dive with, really be careful in where you dive, diving in really tame locations.

Her problem is on deck not in the water unless there is something she is leaving out about her condition. Her ability to help her buddy in a near zero gravity environment should not be a problem if she has been properly trained.

Yes, I think that too, as long as we're diving within our limits. It also seems to me that the pre-dive buddy check and planning are important aspects of being a good buddy.

Last year I was going through some debilitating joint issues, to the point of considering retiring at the age of 48 from my career as a physician. I also have a previous neck injury. I fractured C-7 back in 2001 and the joint disease is directly related to some of the later treatment that I underwent for my neck pain.
I found a some very nice folks on Scubaboard with suggestion. One of which is a boat with a lift. There is one in CA and another I believe in BC. I've since had some surgery and am regaining my leg strength. It's pretty amazing how incredibly weak one's muscles become after 6-8 months incapacitated. Unfortunately, his is the second time I've had to re -strengthen my muscles, since I wore what was basically a full upper body brace for nearly six months after my neck injury.
i highly recommend that you do as much to improve your total fitness, especially core muscles, and legs prior to your next dive trip. Then, consider hiring a private DM who can do basically all the carrying and anything else you might need or want.
I found that the rowing machine, walking, swimming and exercise bands are my best tolerated exercises, along with bike riding and gardening.

I can't walk safely to jump off point with all the heavy gear on because of an old neck injury.

I know this is the overly simple question but no one else asked it. Why not try lighter gear? When I dive shallow reefs in the Keys with the standard 80 cu/ft tank I am coming back after an hour long dive with about half my air so it could be done on a 40 or 45 cu/ft tank. Not only is the tank lighter but the weight is closer to your center of gravity making it easier to walk. Using as thin a back pack as you can find will bring the weight closer to your center of gravity as well. Also go with as thin a suit as possible, a thinner suit will allow you to take weight off your belt and being weighted properly to start with will also reduce the amount of lead you need. Reducing all of that will allow you to use a smaller BCD that will make packing for your trip easier but will not help much on deck. Reduce the amount of extra equipment you carry, just take what you need for that dive and leave the rest behind. I see it all the time but there is no need to dive with every piece of equipment you own if most of it is not needed on that dive.

Yoda: "I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience."
Obi-Wan: "He will learn patience."
Yoda: "Hmm. Much anger in him, like his father."
Obi-Wan: "Was I any different when you taught me?"

It's not entirely clear to me how a neck injury precludes walking in gear that is hanging from your shoulders --
I can relate. I had a Scubapro Knighthawk BC when I first started that hurt my shoulders/neck after a long hike. Changed to a BP/W and now it is like wearing my regular backpack.

OP definitely call when going to Catalina as most California dive ops are hands off. They will help pull gear out of the water, but there is no concierge service. We were handing off heavy scooters for them to pull onboard the boat, but everything else we did ourselves. A little notice in advance and it shouldn't be a problem at all. Just so you know the DM's do not get in the water. You plan your own dive and dive your plan.

I called the dive shop we'll be using in Catalina, armed with the tips I received here. The person I talked to said they make these accommodations regularly. The boat platform is slightly submerged so that makes it easier. I will call again a few days before diving, when they know who the DM will be, so that I can speak to him personally to make sure we have it worked out ahead of time. I want to express my gratitude to all those who responded. I learned a great deal.
--Chicagolady

Back
Top Bottom