Dive Rite "Streamlines Openwater Configuration"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newly certified OW diver, about to start AOW. Researching my first reg set. I like the DIR concepts, and may progress to wreck/cave/tech diving down the road. For a set like the OP posted, would you all suggest the 40 inch hose with 90 degree, the 5 foot, or the 7 foot?

My opinion: Unless you have a friend who will mentor you in long hose use, start with the 40in on 90 adapter with bungee backup. Will be less hose to manage during your gear up. Don't forget to add a bolt snap on the 40in, so you can clip it off when your taking your gear on and off.
Less to be aware of, because if you're not having someone evaluate how neat you make your hog loop with the 7ft, you can run into some snagging trouble, especially when you deploy it for an OOA air share.
When you go into tec diving you can reuse the 40 on your deco bottle and add on the 7ft.

Personally I would suggest 44in on 90 angle adapter, but then that might be too long a hose to stow cleanly on your deco or stages, when you make the change to tec.
The 44 gives you plenty of room between you and an OOA diver to maneuver or swim side by side.

That would be my advice. I've had friends who delved into the 7ft without asking for help and they had their second stage trashed because it banged everywhere when gearing up.

Newly certified OW diver, about to start AOW. Researching my first reg set. I like the DIR concepts, and may progress to wreck/cave/tech diving down the road. For a set like the OP posted, would you all suggest the 40 inch hose with 90 degree, the 5 foot, or the 7 foot?

I'd go for the 5ft hose, routed across your chest and around behind your head. It's very comfortable and provides all the benefits of the hogarthian (DIR) long hose except the ability to share air single file through tight spots. As an OW diver, you won't be in those situations, and you'll find that 5ft routs much more cleanly than does 7ft. The 7ft hose is typically secured by a canister light which you won't have either.

And here I would say start with a 5ft hose as it is easy enough to manage, will cost less since there is not extra 90* fitting, and will route cleanly.

90* adapter is only $5 more with a 44" hose than it is with a 5 footer. The shorter hose is much easier to manage than even a 5' hose, plus if you get into overhead you can at least use that 40 or 44" hose on your deco bottles, 5' hoses are pretty useless once you go to a 7' hose. Use a 40" if you're worried about it splaying out if you're small, but you can't really go wrong either way.

Thank you guys for the great advice on hose length!

Hi all,

If I have a scubapro MK25/A700 pair, what would be the recommended octo for this kind of setup? I was thinking of just the scubapro R095, but since it would be me who is using it, my thoughts now go to another A700! That would make it rather spendy.

Thanks.

C Dub, I will suggest a little differently: just go with 7ft hose on the get go. Donating procedure is exactly the same as 5ft mush easier than 40" IMO. Routing wise, just tuck the extra in waist strap.

Hi all,

If I have a scubapro MK25/A700 pair, what would be the recommended octo for this kind of setup? I was thinking of just the scubapro R095, but since it would be me who is using it, my thoughts now go to another A700! That would make it rather spendy.

Thanks.

A700's a good bet.
In a bungee backup form it's called backup or your secondary. You won't be donating it as an octo.

Cheaper route, get a Scubapro 109 off ebay. They use the same repair kit as the G250 minus a few parts. You can even get it serviced to be balanced; then techincally it's called a 156.

Only downside is it's heavy in terms of a second stage. But it's so flashy you won't notice. :D

C Dub, I will suggest a little differently: just go with 7ft hose on the get go. Donating procedure is exactly the same as 5ft mush easier than 40" IMO. Routing wise, just tuck the extra in waist strap.

Thanks! My AOW instructor uses a 7 footer on his single rig, and will teach me how to handle it, so went for the 7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom