Hoseless computer alone or with backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a bit off topic, but I have seen so many problems with those quick disconnects... why do people use them? There must be some reason, but I don't see the advantage.

My family has used several Oceanic AI console computers since 2000 and this is the first leak we've had at the quick disconnect, they have been extremely reliable for many years and many dives. I think this is the O ring on the computer side of the connection, should be very easy to remedy. As pointed out by otheres, there are many good reasons one might not want to have the computer permanently affixed to the regulator.

Dear friends:
I am curious what folks who have a hoseless dive computer do on a dive with respect to also carrying a spg or not?
Thank you
I recommend two hoseless dive computers with redundant transmitters on dives that count and you don't want to abort!

I dive with 2 different AI computers and no SPG. I prefer to have backups on every dive.

On open circuit I dive with A.I. and no spg. It isn't a big deal if the A.I. loses tank pressure to me because I usually have a second independent air source (usual AL40) I carry for babysitting reasons. However, when I dive Closed Circuit I use analog spgs.

Here's what I do...
Most high end regulators have 2 HP ports. I put the hoseless transmitter in one HP port and in the other I put a pony bottle gauge. This way I don't have to dig out my computer to check the status of the tank. I just read the pressure off of the pony gauge.

For traveling, I also always carry a non-air-integrated computer clipped to my BC at all times, along with my hoseless air-integrated computer. I also carry a very small, light weight SPG (and hose) in my suitcase. That way, if I have a catastrophic failure of the air-integrated computer, when I get back to the room that day, I remove the transmitter and plug in the SPG. At that point I continue my diving vacation using non-air-integrated computer. It's been with me on all my dives, so it's readout is just as valid.

Of course, depending on the diving situation, I might take the spare SPG with me on the boat.

Last edited:
I started this thread and appreciate all the messages I read in the background. Please continue and thank you...

An spg will never 'lose' the signal from the wireless transmiter....need I say more?

It amazes me that it's considered smart to carry 2 cutting instruments, a backup light, a second computer, etc. - just in case. But people argue that you don't need an SPG with an AI computer because that's what the AI is for. What??? Guess what? Air, and knowing how much I have is pretty much key, at least to me. If you want to trust technology to never fail, then go right ahead. Personally, continuing to carry the SPG (which I've done since cert) isn't a problem. Moreover, the analog SPG is far more reliable than anything with a battery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom