The Sharks of Palm Beach County

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

August 3, 2014 (ESSO Bonaire & Deep Ledge)
Silky - 1
Bull - 1
Sandbar - 1

Disappointing numbers after my short vacation...No sharks on the Bonaire and only a handful of sightings on the deep ledge. None came very close so all I have are some GoPro screencaps.

gopro1.jpggopro2.jpggopro4.jpg

August 16, 2014 - Shark Canyon
Caribbean Reef - 8

August 30, 2014 - ESSO Bonaire Wreck (Federal water)
Lemon - 6

The beauty of that second shot is breathtaking ... Truly unique moment, captured perfectly.

October 4, 2014 - ESSO Bonaire & Lemon Drop 2
Lemon - 7
We haven't been having much luck w/sharks lately so we'd been focusing on Goliath Grouper pics. After we had 0 sharks at the Bonaire again on Saturday, I jokingly predicted that the Shark Addicts would have another tiger...:acclaim:

Anyways, we decided to check out the old lemon spot and sure enough there were a couple of sharks waiting when we dropped in. The number increased to seven as we headed up and they stayed with us throughout an extended safety stop.

Looks really sweet. I hope to someday either hit Jupiter's lemon shark aggregation (just recently did the goliath aggregation there), or do a few days diving out of Morehead, NC to wreck dive with numbers of sand tiger sharks. The latter is a bucket list ambition for me.

Speaking of that, anybody care to describe the experience of diving with lemon sharks vs. sand tigers? From what I understand, you've got 2 'sharky looking' (as opposed to nurse sharks) sharks roughly hitting the 10 foot mark, similar in size, available to be in fairly close quarters and substantial numbers depending on where you are (& time of year with the lemons).

Richard.

First male tiger we have seen at the Wreck Trek in Jupiter. Named him Nemo, he was very shy and cautious.

[video=youtube;iKoOgX_Agvg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKoOgX_Agvg[/video]

This video below has Jenny the Tiger shark

[video=youtube;3MqyRGQISyc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MqyRGQISyc[/video]

Removing a hook from a lemon shark in this one

[video=youtube;9VoB5ibrprM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VoB5ibrprM&list=UUCIleX-RWwBF8o0ON2sN07A[/video]

Looks really sweet. I hope to someday either hit Jupiter's lemon shark aggregation (just recently did the goliath aggregation there), or do a few days diving out of Morehead, NC to wreck dive with numbers of sand tiger sharks. The latter is a bucket list ambition for me.

Speaking of that, anybody care to describe the experience of diving with lemon sharks vs. sand tigers? From what I understand, you've got 2 'sharky looking' (as opposed to nurse sharks) sharks roughly hitting the 10 foot mark, similar in size, available to be in fairly close quarters and substantial numbers depending on where you are (& time of year with the lemons).

Richard.

I'd say sandtigers and lemons are a very different game. Sandtigers are some of the laziest sharks I've encountered; I know they can whip around pretty quick if they have a reason to but otherwise they generally just hang there. I've done a full circuit around one shooting pictures while it stayed static facing into the current. Not even a twitch. You'll be swimming along a wreck and look up to find a dozen of them just hanging above you.

Lemons on the other hand can remind me of the Bumpus hounds from A Christmas Story; in a non-baited situation they'll cruise right through the group repeatedly and get very interested if you're taking fish or lobsters. Their normal movements are considerably more active than a sandtiger and they'll show much more interest and awareness with divers. When Randy, Cameron, Mickey and company are on the case they'll be bounding all over the divers and each other - not aggressively, but there's a sense of "oh boy oh boy oh boy!" excitement to them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom