GPS or Chartplotter for Ocean Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basking Ridge Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have coordinates for artificial reefs and structures on the reefs - Reef Guide for State of NJ.

I keep my boat in a fresh water lake and have not had a need for any GPS, Sonar or Plotters... But I would like opinions - if I am only going offshore for 4 to 8 miles maybe 10 times a year - and know where I want to go - which device would work to get me to a set of coordinates? I have a depth sounder that gives me the depth and I assume when over a structure I will note it with a depth change.

I have a marine radio that I mounted in the boat recently - but I think I need a handheld GPS to get to the coordinates. Is this a reasonable setup or will I wish I had saved the money to get a top of the line unit? Should I pay up and get a Chartplotter with GPS? Do I need SideSonar or is this overkill? I understand the benefits but I am trying to keep the cost down.

Thanks for any input.

If your depth gauge just reads a number like "48ft" you will have a hard time finding wrecks. A $99 black and white fish finder will be fine for getting onto established coordinates along with a hand held mapping GPS.

Bring paper charts, compass etc and know how to use it all (including the radio) for when everything else goes teets up.

I may be wrong, but I think most chart plotters these days use GPS technologies. I use GPS everyday when we tie up to moorings and if you are out of sight of land trying to find a wreck it would be indispensable. A non-GPS chart plotter is a primitive way to calculate your position on the earth, that's exactly what GPS is.
Get yourself a decent hand held unit and a lot of beer to bribe some of the captains out their for their weck numbers, and don't be too mad when they are a little off.

You may also want to get some ocean experience before taking your boat out into the big blue wet thing. The ocean is a harsh mistress and she will always win in the end, experience and training will help keep that end from being tomorrow. Just a thought

I agree with scuberd. Just get a decent hand held GPS unit, that will get you to within 10 or 15 feet of the coordinates you entered (get one with WAAS mode).

Thanks - should have wrapped back - I ended up with a Garmin GPSMAP 78SC - works great. Now I just need to figure out how to stay away from the nutbags that drive large boats like they own the ocean and your infringing on their territory...

A little late now, but we all (my dive group) use Navionics app on our iPads and/or Android phones for navigation. Then we all have T-box sonar units installed on our boats. The T-box sets up a wifi signal so that any smart device on board can connect and see a live sonar feed. You can go "split screen" mode so you can see the map and the sonar feed at the same time. We love it and it's great for finding dive spots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom