Dive Charters WPB area for recreational divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I like large boats with lots of room to spread out in, and in which you NEVER, EVER find yourself crushed next to another diver, with it hard to gear up on top of each other....and with lots of room to move around....I like these large boats that could run 28 or 30 divers or so, to run at 20 divers or under....many do this :)
I avoid going on a day-boat that has sold every seat...I hate the cramped feeling this creates on most boats....

Diesel fumes make me sea-sick--not so much the larger waves. I am fine in 5 to 7 footers, if the boat has no diesel smell.....if it has diesel fumes where I have to gear up, I could get sea-sick in 3 to 4 foot seas--which normally I would consider comfortable.

I like a crew that is happy and fun....and I hate DM's or crew that are tense or nervous, or, that act like they think they are important dive industry professionals doing serious work....it ruins everybody's Zen :) Even theirs :)

If a Captain get's too serious, it can be annoying, but this is not usually a big factor, because most captains don't engage all that much with divers during the trip.
There are a few boats with really entertaining Captains, that demand that their crews be entertaining and fun, and this is a great thing to find and enjoy.

And, a much smaller number of captains are avid divers themselves, and they take great pride in giving PERFECT DROPS to their divers..drops that they would want themselves....There is a HUGE difference in skill levels in giving good drops, between boat Captains....both within Palm Beach....and then when You compare Palm Beach drift drops, with the much less practiced and less necessary drift drop practices of Captains in other Dive Destinations. One of the best in the World is Captain Lynn Simmons of Splashdown divers in Boynton....We could have a 4 knott current, and be dropping on a 225 foot deep wreck like the Skyckiffe, and Lynn can place us EXACTLY where we ask to be placed! In WPB, I think the best drops I have ever had there are by Captain Van of Narcosis. It takes him seconds to set up ( versus minutes or more by others), and the drops are right on the money. :)

Thanks! I'm talking with someone now regards to a refresher :)

My thought was , if I book a boat only as a OW diver, then wouldn't they have restrictions to diving in no more then 60' ?

Nope. Some might not let you board or book, but if they do, no one but YOU restricts yourself to 60 ft. Don't rely on others to make the decisions for you. In the Juno Ledge dives, you could stay up on the ledge where it's shallower. But you're still looking at 70-80 depending on the spot.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 02:48 PM ----------

The Island Hoppers are a rough ride that is for sure, and most have a seating layout that makes the people by the engine box completely cramped for space and constantly trampled by people wanting to go up front for whatever reason. Sea Pup minimizes this issue but still has the rough ride.

I would say that I agree with JASA being a good fit for what you are looking for.

Whereas that engine block on Sandy's is horrible if you are sitting near it.

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 02:52 PM ----------

Personally, I like large boats with lots of room to spread out in, and in which you NEVER, EVER find yourself crushed next to another diver, with it hard to gear up on top of each other....and with lots of room to move around....I like these large boats that could run 28 or 30 divers or so, to run at 20 divers or under....many do this :)
I avoid going on a day-boat that has sold every seat...I hate the cramped feeling this creates on most boats....

Wet Temptations is a great example of this. The thing holds almost 40 divers and they book max 24.
I like a crew that is happy and fun....and I hate DM's or crew that are tense or nervous, or, that act like they think they are important dive industry professionals doing serious work....it ruins everybody's Zen :) Even theirs :)

If a Captain get's too serious, it can be annoying, but this is not usually a big factor, because most captains don't engage all that much with divers during the trip.
There are a few boats with really entertaining Captains, that demand that their crews be entertaining and fun, and this is a great thing to find and enjoy.

Capt Sl8r is just naturally entertaining. His crew is fun, hard working, and the environment is relaxed.

Nope. Some might not let you board or book, but if they do, no one but YOU restricts yourself to 60 ft. Don't rely on others to make the decisions for you. In the Juno Ledge dives, you could stay up on the ledge where it's shallower. But you're still looking at 70-80 depending on the spot.

Capt Sl8r is just naturally entertaining. His crew is fun, hard working, and the environment is relaxed.

I'd like to try diving with Capt Sl8r, I hear only good things about his op. Most of the reefs in WPB can be dived within 60 ft if you stay on top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diesel fumes make me sea-sick--not so much the larger waves. I am fine in 5 to 7 footers, if the boat has no diesel smell.....if it has diesel fumes where I have to gear up, I could get sea-sick in 3 to 4 foot seas--which normally I would consider comfortable.

And, a much smaller number of captains are avid divers themselves, and they take great pride in giving PERFECT DROPS to their divers..drops that they would want themselves....There is a HUGE difference in skill levels in giving good drops, between boat Captains....both within Palm Beach....and then when You compare Palm Beach drift drops, with the much less practiced and less necessary drift drop practices of Captains in other Dive Destinations. One of the best in the World is Captain Lynn Simmons of Splashdown divers in Boynton....We could have a 4 knott current, and be dropping on a 225 foot deep wreck like the Skyckiffe, and Lynn can place us EXACTLY where we ask to be placed! In WPB, I think the best drops I have ever had there are by Captain Van of Narcosis. It takes him seconds to set up ( versus minutes or more by others), and the drops are right on the money. :)

The Narcosis is usually my go-to dive boat in WPB when I'm not out on a shark-bait trip with the Emerald. She's a good boat with a great crew, and if you do a lot of trips with them you quickly become "one of the gang" and it's like going out with your buddies as opposed to hiring a charter. Most of the trips I've been on with them tend to be more in the AOW category.

I echo the comments made about the Island Hoppers - I find with a full load of 12 divers they tend to be a bit cramped and they wallow in a moderate sea. The diesel fumes tend to be a bit more noticeable than on something like a Pro 48. I'd still recommend Sandy for divers who are just starting out, new to drift diving, or in need of a refresher as she has a pretty heavy focus on dive instruction and the smaller boat capacity is good for extra attention. I got my start diving WPB on the Sunday back in 2006 and it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship with that stretch of the coast.

Honestly, I find the biggest issue with recommending dive ops up there is that I get so attached to my "usual suspects" that I have trouble stepping outside and trying a new operator. I feel bad enough splitting my time between 3 or 4 favorites. It's hard to find a bad operator up there; given the more demanding conditions and the lower supply of customers (with probably a bigger focus on regulars who are out every month or every week) I think it's probably more competitive than the Keys.

Honestly, I find the biggest issue with recommending dive ops up there is that I get so attached to my "usual suspects" that I have trouble stepping outside and trying a new operator. I feel bad enough splitting my time between 3 or 4 favorites. It's hard to find a bad operator up there; given the more demanding conditions and the lower supply of customers (with probably a bigger focus on regulars who are out every month or every week) I think it's probably more competitive than the Keys.

I'm with HalcyonDaze. Most of the dive operations in SE FL do not have the vacationers that the Keys have. They are much more dependent on a loyal local user base for success. That being said, I chose to be located near the Boynton Harbor Marina for access to the gorgeous reefs and the wreck of the Castor. I have about 270 dives with Underwater Explorers and 30 dives with my primary backup, Starfish. I like Jupiter very much and have 50 dives with JDC. I'm particularly fond of their Friday 3 tanker.

Good diving, Craig

anyone in South Florida who says "the ONLY op" does not get out much. I have worked with many and dive with many. We are blessed to have a whole lot of GREAT dive operators. I have my favorites (as do other SB'ers). Mine are Sl8r and Sea Pup. Other good ops include JDC, Stuart Scuba, Scubaworks. Look 'em over see what op and boat fits your needs.[/QUO

We are also blessed with some Bad ones... :)

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
and at least one boat receiving praise on this thread...I wouldn't go on for free! :(

There are a lot of good suggestions already in this thread: another might be to call Force-E located on Blue Heron Blvd. They act as a 'broker' for many of the boats in the area and if you call and tell them you only want a 60 foot reef, they'll find a boat only doing 60 foot reefs. Also, to get back up to speed, you can visit Blue Heron Bridge for a beach dive. You can even hire a guide or take a refresher course (several SB'ers can be hired or Force-E has guides).

If my sister were coming to visit and wanted to do easy boat dives, I'd probably take her out with Scuba Club, Sandy's Sunday or Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures. I dive with Jupiter Dive Center a lot but would wait until she had a couple of easy dives under her belt before I took her to Jupiter

There are a lot of good suggestions already in this thread: another might be to call Force-E located on Blue Heron Blvd. They act as a 'broker' for many of the boats in the area and if you call and tell them you only want a 60 foot reef, they'll find a boat only doing 60 foot reefs. Also, to get back up to speed, you can visit Blue Heron Bridge for a beach dive. You can even hire a guide or take a refresher course (several SB'ers can be hired or Force-E has guides).

If my sister were coming to visit and wanted to do easy boat dives, I'd probably take her out with Scuba Club, Sandy's Sunday or Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventures. I dive with Jupiter Dive Center a lot but would wait until she had a couple of easy dives under her belt before I took her to Jupiter

Not to mention, that it is unquestionable that Force E "is" the most favored resource for diving the BHB Marine Park. They do so much more than any other operation for BHB divers, there is not even a close second for this! Just look at their night dives, and anyone elses :)
One of the things Sandra and the Nudi girls( nudibranch) like about Force E dives, is that on every single night dive Force E does, not only do they stay open late to assist--and are right by the bridge with their shop---they have Jeff of Force E in the parking lot at the BHB until all the divers are out of the parking lot...there are quite a few women divers that really APPRECIATE the thought of Jeff being there to help keep them safer, late at night in an area that could a lone woman to a higher level of risk than they should be comfortable with. And....Jeff and the others of Force E, actually love the diving their, and the "Missions", so it's not about how much they can sell any given evening, but rather, its about the fun the divers are having....I just think they should be recognized for this.

Especially if you're renting gear, Force-E is the way to go on the BHB night dives. Jeff will collect tanks and other gear, just be sure to rinse it off before you take it to him. Force-E also stays open later than say Pura Vida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom