PADI divemaster requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman once bubbled...
Oh I should mention for no other reason than to make you eat your liver in envy, I've rented a house in Marathon, the Heart of the Keys for February. I know it doesn't have anything to do with anything in this thread, I just wanted to brag.
Thanks again.

if your gonna get me on a dive trip. I'll be in Key Largo for ten days in December. :wink:
I guess we are both lucky suckers eh?

The Salmon are hitting good this year aren't they? I have a freezer full of fish i didn't catch. Only so much time in a day so between family, work, diving and golf, i don't get much time to fish anymore. I have my peeps keeping me supplied though.:)

Lawman once bubbled...
[
BSouthern Mississippi School of Culinary Arts. Let alone lose to them! .
[/B]
It is NOT a school of Culinary Arts, In fact since they have cracked down so hard on the Frats, I am not sure if it really is a school anymore!!! lol

Lawman

You also need to do Rescue Diver (which also req EFR) and have at least 20 dives to start DM and 60 dives at completion. There is also a phy requirement such as timed swims and water tread.

http://padi.com/english/common/courses/pro/divemaster.asp

What do I need to start?

PADI Advanced Open Water Diver or qualifying certification from another training organization
PADI Rescue Diver certification or qualifying certification from another training organization.
Medical clearance signed by a physician
20 logged dives
18 years old

What will I do?

Learn dive leadership through classroom and independent study sessions
Complete water skills and stamina exercises in confined and open water
Training exercises to test organizational and problem solving abilities
An internship or series of practical training exercises

How long will it take?

Two weeks - three months

Divemaster will not be an easy class and will require you not only to learn but also demonstrate that you have learned. If your just into taking classes why not just take classes, collect the cards and become a Master Diver. It will be alot easer than the Divemaster class, quicker and probly alot cheaper. If you just want to be a better diver check into a class design towards extended range Padi Dsat, Adv Nitrox etc..(Read as: will hold you to a higher standard in basic skills not mention the advanced diving such as deeper and longer BT etc.etc..).

Since you are into the Law you might also want to think about the liability issue that you may incure by being a dive professional and if that could impact you next time you go diving and there is an emergency.

FYI, just food for thought. I'm glad to hear that you have an interest in learning more. Your ponderance in learning might change my view of you in a positive way.

I've got the requirements:SSI Stress & Rescue, First Aid, 50 dives,
and I sure as hell am over 18! Part of my desire to take the course is that you have to have had the first aid and rescue within 2 years. I took mine last summer and they are going to run out pretty soon.
I'm not worried about liability. I've been a defense lawyer for
33 years. Anybody wants to sue me had better bring a sack lunch.

Well, I'd better stop dithering. I'm not getting any younger and if I'm going to do it I'd better get going.

Thanks again for all the good advice.:D

TJisthe1 once bubbled...

It is NOT a school of Culinary Arts, In fact since they have cracked down so hard on the Frats, I am not sure if it really is a school anymore!!! lol

Why is their coach named Emeril?????

That's a bit presumptuous, GeekDiver! What if you have both? Master Scuba Diver, DM and the rest? Just say, for example, that you have both, also alot of dives, experience with beginners and "experts", assisted on courses and forgive me, know how to fix, repair, service, teach and run a dive operation? These people do actually exist within the system and are not just "meeting the standards". The training on offer is a good start - what else is there?

Zombie thread!

Divemaster will not be an easy class and will require you not only to learn but also demonstrate that you have learned. If your just into taking classes why not just take classes, collect the cards and become a Master Diver. It will be alot easer than the Divemaster class, quicker and probly alot cheaper. If you just want to be a better diver check into a class design towards extended range Padi Dsat, Adv Nitrox etc..(Read as: will hold you to a higher standard in basic skills not mention the advanced diving such as deeper and longer BT etc.etc..).

Since you are into the Law you might also want to think about the liability issue that you may incure by being a dive professional and if that could impact you next time you go diving and there is an emergency.

FYI, just food for thought. I'm glad to hear that you have an interest in learning more. Your ponderance in learning might change my view of you in a positive way.

I agree with all here. Divemaster course is about training you to become a leader. Many take it with the idea it is a stepping stone to instructor. A lot of DMs don't get paid (some do), but instructors do (99%, the other 1% are crazy). So if you are into teaching this is what you want. The benefits to your own diving are that you have to get your (20 OW) skills up to "demonstration quality". But you don't need DM course to practise this on your own (there are numerous PADI and other videos now you can google). This is good practise for yourself too of course. There is also the "equipment exchange" where you and a buddy switch everything (not wetsuit or wts.) while buddy breathing. This is what worried me most and ironically one of my best performances. The academics are in depth and interesting to learn, but if you adhere to all you learned in OW you are safe enough (assuming you take Rescue). You can get the academics by just reading. Well before I did DM I bought PADI's Encyclo. of Rec. Diving, which happened to be required for DM, so I had a head start. There are countless threads (some in "Going Pro" subforum) regarding DMs who are not working and happen upon incident situations. Bottom line consensus here is if you act responsibly you won't be sued successfully. But who really knows. Active DMs also require yearly renewed agency membership and liability, which can be a bit costly depending on where you live and if you take full coverage or just for assisting with courses. If you're not into the teaching thing I suggest other courses as others have mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom