Crotch strap, how tight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting answers so far. I have never had my crotch strap that tight. I keep mine just tight enough that there is no gap at the bottom. I've never needed it on single tank dives, and only barely need it with doubles at the surface. Mine basically does nothing underwater. Maybe my gut is keeping the waist-strap in place?

I think a lot of it has to do with "body shape".

In my case running the crotch strap a little "short" (or tight) accomplishes two things:

1.) It pulls the waist strap down to belly button level. I'm a tad under 6' 5", and use a "standard length" backplate, so the waist strap will ride too high unless I do this.

2.) Like TSandM mentioned, by keeping the crotch strap slightly shorter/tighter, I can run my shoulder straps looser. The waist strap and crotch strap "lock in" the backplate, so I can run the shoulder straps a bit looser (I have broad shoulders, so there is no danger of the shoulder straps slipping off).

But the crotch strap never feels tight or uncomfortable, there is just no slack... it is as if it was part of the wetsuit.

It is all about what works for each diver. What is comfortable to me might be all wrong for someone else.

Best wishes.

I've got mine set up so it pulls the waist strap down just slightly in a drysuit, but in a wetsuit or without a wetsuit, it's got extra room. It's never been a problem though.

Used a borrowed rig once for an ocean dive, and the fit was tight but ok, except for the crotch strap. It was so ridiculously short that I just left it hanging and didn't use it. Didn't have any problem on the dive, really don't recall noticing that it wasn't attached actually, but the rest of the rig was snug enough that nothing was going anywhere.

If having the crotch strap an inch or two off ruins your dive, I think you are doing it wrong.

You don't even need a crotch strap if your diving a single tank.

I've never used twins so I can't speak to that type of rig.

Recall reading somewhere that it should be a little loose on twins, so that if the bottle valves might be hard to reach underwater you can "bump" your rig upwards to ha e better access to them.

I's say the caveat of range of motion for the valve(s) etc. needs to factor into the decision. Other that that tight enough to make it stay put. Upright at the surface would seem to be the acid test.

Pete

What TSandM, Leadturn and the others said. A little downward "Vee" on the waist strap seems to work. That really ties things in and allows you to free up some space on the shoulder straps.
I think crotch strap is a plus on single tank bp/w. Super solid when using heavier steels and you can ride your tank higher for trimming out and not get banged in the head by the valve unless you do it yourself. Just make sure you set it up to fit underwater, not on land, sitting or standing.
Another (controversial) approach is crossing your shoulder straps behind your back which seems to help any play up top IMHO. What can I say, I'm controversial, not by choice, it's my darn peers, but I luv em anyway.

Experiment, have fun.

Last edited:
After a couple of dives in my wtx harness I decided I looked it loose so loose it has been left at home ever since. Try it both ways.

You don't even need a crotch strap if your diving a single tank.

My own experience has been different. Diving a steel tank in cold water, I never had a problem not using a crotch strap, but I found it really unpleasant when diving an aluminum tank in warm water. The positive buoyancy at the end of the dive causes the tank to ride up while my body sinks down on the surface, making the BP/W unwieldy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom