Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knee_Deep_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Question how many dive with a FFM. Do you wear it under your cold water hood or over it. I dive a Guardian FFM with OTC Comms 2010. If I wear it over I will have to trim the hood, I am not sure I want to wear it under as the time it may take to get the mask off in the event of problems. Also I am looking into a bump hat something like a Light Monkey to protect my hard head.

I wear the Guardian about 25% of the time. I would recommend that you not wear it under a hood. The only option in an equipment malfunction or out of gas emergency is to ditch the mask. Doing that while wearing a hood on top of the spider strap would be nearly impossible. You would have to remove the hood first which seems difficult and unnecessarily complicated. What benefit would you get from wearing the hood over the Mask? Would that override the negatives to doing so?

For clarity. The mask as a whole should go on over the hood. The edges of the facial opening of the hood should go over the skirt of the mask.

Hi Knee_Deep_Diver,

We recommend two different ways to facilitate this. We always recommend for the best seal of the Guardian without leaks, you want to ensure the skirt/seals are directly touching your skin. This can be achieved by pushing the hood back so that the skirt of the mask are in direct contact with your skin, or to cut the hood around the skirt of the mask.

I've also heard of neoprene hoods with a thinner material around the face specifically made to seal with FFM's, which you may want to research if that sounds more appealing to you.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help answer any other questions about the mask/comms!

Does anyone know any dive shops that allow you to try out FFM's before purchase? It's something I am interested in but I don't want to splurge on something like that until I know for sure I'm gonna like it.

Does anyone know any dive shops that allow you to try out FFM's before purchase? It's something I am interested in but I don't want to splurge on something like that until I know for sure I'm gonna like it.

bshmerlie,

If you want the opportunity to try out a Guardian Full Face Mask, you can visit our dealer locator here : Dealer Locator | Ocean Technology Systems

Punch in your address and it will bring up all local dive shops in your area. Each shop should have demo equipment so that you are able to try the mask before a purchase.

If you have any trouble let me know and I'd be glad to help facilitate any issue. Glad you are interested! :)

Thanks to all that posted. I have dove both way and mask webbing under hood and over. Since I bought the OTS communication 2010 ( by the way it's a great unit with the stx 101 top side unit) I have dove with the web on the out side. I just did not want to cut a $500 wet suite's hood up until I had input for other folks. I will get a sharp of scissors

bsh I have been using the Guardian face Mask for a little over a year. I will never go back to a reg mask. But I do different diving than you guys. The best I can see is my hand in front of my face on a good day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom