Wilmington NC Early October 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilaDallas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I will be in Wilmington NC in early October. Even though I will also be asking the charter operator as well, I wanted to get a take on the exposure protection for the trip. I realize that all people are different, so I want to know what you would wear and how cold tolerant you are!

Since this will be my first time diving anywhere besides Cozumel, I wanted to know general conditions as well. Should we expect much drift?

As far as the Charter, I can't decide. We will probably go with Scuba Now because they have mid week dives or Diving Carolina depending on how much either is.

Looking to do the Mega ledge for our only deep dive, then some of the shallower wrecks.

3mm full wet suit for water over 75F. Won't be much of any drift or current. Also try Aquatic Safaris and the smaller charters out of Carolina Beach (Jet Lag & Carolina Lady). Can't comment on your other choices, as never used them.

I get cold easily, but I'm still comfortable off the coast in a 3mm full as long as I wear a hood or beanie. I've seen people dive in shorties, but the full suit is good for protection, just in case you accidentally bump into something (and all of the old pros wear full suits). You should avoid touching wrecks or reefs, but just in case... Thin gloves are good because you will often be holding on to the line for ascents/descents in current, and sometimes the line has sharp things growing on it. Plus touching a wreck with bare hands is never a good idea.

As compared to Cozumel, you'll notice bigger waves on the surface, which makes getting in/out of the water more challenging, so listen carefully to the boat crew for specific instructions on that, and be prepared to work hard to get up the ladder.

You'll also notice lower visibility, so you have to stay close to your buddy and close to the wreck. The shallower, inshore wrecks usually have pretty low visibility and less current, while the wrecks in the gulf stream usually have better visibility and more current. I thought the current in the gulf stream was comparable to Cozumel drift diving, although on a wreck dive you have to return to the anchor point, so you have to stay close to the wreck to stay out of the current, and swim into the current first if possible so you can get back easily. You also have to pay attention to where you are so you can find your way back to your own anchor line. Most people also carry an SMB with them just in case they can't get back to the boat.

Another difference is that in Cozumel, they usually hold your hand and baby you a lot. On the NC dive boats, you're expected to haul and set up your own gear, you're expected to plan and execute your own dive (but you can definitely get help with the planning), and you won't have a DM unless you pay extra for one. We hired a DM on our first NC dive, and we were glad we did.

The surface interval will be very windy and might be cold and wet, so a boat coat or a wind-and-water-resistant jacket are necessities. I'd bring a change of clothes in a dry bag too. The boat rides are significantly longer, so bring some good snacks, and take seasickness meds before you leave if you are even a little worried about seasickness.

God, that sounds awful. All of that aside, the diving off of NC is fantastic. I'm sure you'll love it!

Be prepared for a lot longer boat rides than you are use to, 2 to 3 hrs one way are not uncommon and have a plan B as well. It is not uncommon for our charters to get canceled due to weather. There is a good bit to do in the Wilmington area so there are plenty of options. On the up side, you have picked the best month of the year for the NC coast, crowds are gone, the daytime temps are lower, the evening pleasently cool and the water is still warm. It is my favorite month on the NC coast.
There tends to be a lot of fish life on our wrecks including large sand tiger sharks, 8-12 fters are not uncommon. They are great to see and no threat to divers as long as you respect them, that said, it is very common for them to swim by very closely to divers, within petting distance although I don't suggest it. I have had them do a U turn as they passed me and "school" along with me for the length of the wreck....within arms length. My point being EXPECT to see large sharks at very close ranges but don't panic or otherwise break your normal dive routine. I can tell you it is quite unnerving to look over your shoulder and realize you have picked up a new 12 ft buddy swimming within arms reach of you, just act normally and enjoy the close encounter..

Great advise.
especially important is the difference in the boat and crew in involvement.
i did my advanced here with a guy that had only dove at resorts..
When we got to the wreck he did not have his mask, weights, etc.
he expected the crew to have loaded them for him and set up his gear.
He kept on about how different it was and how he did not like having to do all the work of handling his gear

And this is why I love Scubaboard. You guys rock. I will be out from October 6 through 10 visiting parents, brother and brand new niece. Will be looking to get at least two days diving in. We have our stuff except for sheers, gloves, tanks, and weights. Really looking forward to it, and keep the good advice coming!

Luckily there is still some great diving to be done off the coast of NC in October. The water temps are still going to be in the low 70's probably, visibility will depend on the hurricane season. Provided the hurricanes don't come whipping through, if you can get to some of the offshore dives, the visibility may still be 40-60'.

You will want to make sure you bring a safety sausage & reel. The diving will be square profile for the most part, jump in...hit the wreck...play with the sharks...go up & do a safety stop on the hang bar. Not rocket science, but if visibility is challenging you'll want to make sure you know where the anchor line is tied to the wreck. Bring a light too, great for looking into the nooks & crannies of wrecks!

For gloves, the mechanics type gloves (nylon back, leather palm) at any home improvement/Walmart/hardware store are perfect. Less cost than dive gloves, better grip and more durable. They don't provide much insulation but in Oct you will not need it anyway. That early in Oct, odds are the temp will be closer to the high 70s unless things cool off real quick.

We have a couple of spots Monday-Thursday 6-9th out of Wrightsville Beach Marina. We will be doing shark tooth trips only. Call us at 252-646-8754 if you are interested. Our home port is Morehead City, it is just a coincidence that we will be in Wrightsville that week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom