Blue Spring Cave Photo Tour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Here is a sequence of images from a shallow free dive passing down and back up through the upper portion of the vertical cave shaft at Blue Spring State Park outside Orange City, FL.
Some images were taken last weekend while others were from at other times over the years.

0%20spring_1.jpg

A view of the spring source and horizontal slit which forms the entrance to the cave.

0a%20Blue%20Spring%20Cave%20Section%20%20fb%20%20-1232932742.jpg

A sectional diagram of the cave. The scale seems to be off in this as the chute is more constricted at points than implied in the diagram.

1%20GOPR0947_003098%20s-1322872863.jpg

Starting a drop down into the vertical cave. The trees have been jammed across the opening for sometime. There is a current
outflow which varies in velocity from mild to fairly strong depending upon conditions. It is classified as a first magnitude spring but the
volume rate of flow has been highly variable over the years I have visited.

2%20GOPR0947_003260%20s-1951561714.jpg

Sand particles kicked by divers lower down are being blasted up with the outflow.

3%20insert%20GOPR0961-1943504948.jpg

Passing below the trees

3a%20GOPR0944_002787.jpg

Looking off to the side into a horizontal cave branching off from the main vertical chute. There are a lot of these features but most
are quite small in cross-section.

side%20cave%20s.jpg

A look inward and outward from this side cave from the weekend

4%20GOPR0947_003357%20s-793857296.jpg

Continuing the drop downward in the main vertical shaft. There are frequent rings reminiscent of trachea along the shaft. It isn't hard to imagine you are plunging down a giant's throat.

5%20monodrop%20GOPR0971-629576349.jpg

A backward look on descent

Continued with more photos and background from this and other dives at: Complete Video - Diving Blue Springs, Manatee & Cave - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Last edited:
My first Cave dive experience under the old NASDS program was conducted there. There was no difference between Cave and Cavern back then..and diving with the manatees was common place..

You are welcome and have a good dive there! It is a marvelous dive spot and even more so if you are fortunate enough to dive the spring while manatees are present. The spring is usually closed off to swimming and diving around mid November when manatee start wintering there for the relatively warmer water. It is worth noting that the rangers there are particularly protective of the manatees so anticipate restrictions and keep your distance from the animals. That is even if they swim towards you, you're to swim away. I learned that one a few years back the hard way.

NASDS, now that takes me back!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom